Author Topic: StuG III Ausf G - Project Reboot 170801!  (Read 53792 times)

pmbk

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: StuG III Ausf G
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2015, 11:26:52 pm »
In this case I have to admit I must have been ill informed. It's just, most of the StuGs I've seen had this "Early" or "May 43" muzzle break type (names according to your diagram). Still, not to be picky, but the presented L/48 muzzle break doesn't look satisfactory in my opinion. I can see it resembles the Late type (vide your diagram), but these protrunding sections, look bulgy, instead of sharp.

And on the 105mm topic, I admit I didn't know the "leFH 18M" type appeared on the StuH, but still to me the most 'typical' was the large one, described by you as the "Mid production". Wouldn't it be a good idea to go with the most standard muzzle break type, instead of a rare one, that from what I understand, appeared on a handful of, if not less, StuHs?

In summary, the presented Late 75mm muzzle break looks too bulgy in my opinion, but as longs (as you say you will) as you include other 75mm types (preferably the "Early" or "May 43"), I'll be perfectly happy. Also, the decision on 105mm muzzle break type is quite surprising (I'm talking about the particular shape you decided to go with), but as you said, we can just cut it off, and make a muzzle break-less variant, so it's all good in that case.

vladgothic

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2015, 10:18:58 pm »
I can see my shopping list getting even longer, these have lots of potential.

Now for an ugly question, Zimmerit? pretty much all StuG wore it.

And with the upper superstructure in place is there any thoughts of the StuG IV? with some clever chassis design the PZ IV family could follow  ;D

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2015, 10:35:09 pm »
Now for an ugly question, Zimmerit? pretty much all StuG wore it.
And with the upper superstructure in place is there any thoughts of the StuG IV? with some clever chassis design the PZ IV family could follow  ;D

Not all StuG had Zimmerit, but "MOST" StuG models you see had it...  :P

We might do a StuG IV later.  There had been too many complains about us releasing too many German vehicles.  We will take a break from anything German after the StuG and 251D releases; and focus mainly on the Allies - Russian, British, and the US!  But the Germans will come back soon...

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2015, 11:02:57 pm »
Fortunately for those of us who hate modelling Zimmerit, the early and very late versions didn't have it  :D

I see you've pushed back the release date to iron out some final issues.  I have one more small point to raise - your resin prototype seems to have sunken rivets on the roof.  I suspect that your final version will have proper raised, flat-topped rivets, but I just wanted to make sure.  Also - will it be relatively easy to match the new StuG hull and running gear with your Panzer III upper body?

I think you'll have a very nice range of German armour once the StuG and SPW are out, and it'll be great to see some Allied armour. 

Preda

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2015, 05:37:55 pm »
Who need´s Allied Tanks :( So no Jagdpanther or Jagdtiger in the near future? :(

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2015, 05:13:10 pm »
Who need´s Allied Tanks :( So no Jagdpanther or Jagdtiger in the near future? :(

Don't all of your hunting cats need some targets? I think a healthy balance would be great.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2015, 10:35:17 pm »
Here is a rather peculiar sight!  This StuG III is build from our test sprues using whatever colour plastic pellets left in the melting bin of the mould making machine; thus the combination of "Lemon Yellow / Night Glow White / Black"!

The StuG III is primed, then base coated with Oxide Red, and then the usual German Camouflage colors:

Will post the finished test model once it is painted!

;)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:16:31 am by Rubicon Models »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 12:14:44 am »
Looking good! 

Blues

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2015, 02:23:49 am »
So you finally included the non-slip pattern on the mudguards! I have to admit the kit looks awesome. ;D

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2015, 10:58:47 am »
So you finally included the non-slip pattern on the mudguards! I have to admit the kit looks awesome. ;D
The non-slip pattern was not originally planned.  Because we are adding additional muzzle brakes (with gun barrel) to the kit, we spend a little more time to create the non-slip pattern... it is a bit risky to do in such a late production phase, but the outcome is very pleasing!

;)

Preda

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2015, 04:58:25 pm »
When will the Kit hit the Shelfs? :)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2015, 05:06:19 pm »
When will the Kit hit the Shelfs? :)

We are late because we have not factored in Chinese New Year!  Everything is done, unfortunately there are no workers doing the packaging for us!  Will need to wait at least 3 weeks before they resume work!  Hopefully late March delivery to all distributors!

Here is a painted StuG III Ausf G Late Production model for your long-wait relief...

:(
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:09:35 pm by Rubicon Models »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2015, 08:40:25 pm »
Here is an update on our plastic StuG III Ausf G... now painted!

The almighty StuG III Ausf G with Saukopf gun mantlet - Late production

...and with Schürzen (side armour)

Alongside with her big brother... a Panther Ausf G!

Size comparison of the two...

Some more close-up images!

Some group images with several SdKfz 251/1 Ausf D variants...

...and finally as a StuH 42 with a 105mm howitzer!

If things go well with production, the StuG III Ausf G will be available around late March!

;)

Garga

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2015, 01:13:29 am »
The multi colored sprue reminds me the old matchbox ho models... That I mounted and painted in tons when I was a kid... Hem in the last century!

Could be an idea for the lazy war gamers but adds another complexity to sprue design since you have to group in the same sprue the items that should have the same color...

In any case I always painted them so it's a waste of time... But reminds me the old good times...

airborne

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2015, 03:36:16 am »
Good piece of nostalgia  there Garga,  and the mix of Stugs is grand. I like the paint style on these machines all air brush finish by the look.
Cheers