Author Topic: Soviet SU Series Self-Propelled Gun - SU-100 Painted 190117  (Read 31406 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Soviet SU Series Self-Propelled Gun - SU-100 Painted 190117
« on: October 21, 2015, 12:55:21 am »
The SU-85 (Samokhodnaya Ustanovka 85) was a Soviet casemate-style self-propelled gun used during World War II, based on the chassis of the T-34 medium tank. Earlier Soviet self-propelled guns were meant to serve as either assault guns, such as the SU-122, or as tank destroyers; the SU-85 fell into the latter category. The designation "85" signifies the bore of the vehicle's armament, the 85 mm D-5S gun.

The SU-122 (from Samokhodnaya Ustanovka 122 mm) was a Soviet self-propelled howitzer or assault gun used during World War II. The number "122" in the designation represents the caliber of the main armament— a 122 mm M-30S howitzer. The chassis was that of the T-34.

Objective for this project:
- To create a 3-sprue 1/56 (28mm) plastic kit
- Options to build either a SU-85 tank destroyer or a SU-122 assault gun
- Hopefully will include a tank commander

NOTE: This render is already out-dated.  We have made many changes to it since the original posting a month earlier.  Can you find them out when compared with the above line drawings?

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 05:58:36 pm by Rubicon Models »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: Soviet SU Series Self-Propelled Gun
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 03:51:29 am »
They look good.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 08:04:21 am »
They  look great  . May I recommend  the round style front fenders for the SU -85 ,the angled type are more late war ie SU 85M /100. Also spare track is needed on the front plate under the gun of the SU-85 . As the space between the tow hooks was wider than the T-34 tank , they had 7 track links instead of 5 . No room on the front of the   Su-122 for anything  :) .

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 11:33:22 am »
May I recommend  the round style front fenders for the SU-85, the angled type are more late war ie SU 85M /100. Also spare track is needed on the front plate under the gun of the SU-85. As the space between the tow hooks was wider than the T-34 tank, they had 7 track links instead of 5.

The vehicle design will enable you too choose between round style or angled type front fenders for the SU-122; of course, the SU-85 will only use the round style front fenders.

For the spare tracks, we have already taken notes on the subject.  Thanks!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 12:00:29 pm »
Ripley is right about the SU-85's spare tracks and fenders.  I'm really happy to see these vehicles in the pipeline - especially the SU-122. 

Here's my suggested re-write of the introductory blurb - this makes them both sound a bit more exciting.  The SU-122 should come first.

The SU-122 ('Samokhodnaya Ustanovka 122' - the number represents the calibre of the main armament) was a Soviet self-propelled assault gun that entered service in late 1942.  Inspired by the German Sturmgeschutz III assault gun, it was built on the proven T-34 chassis.  It was intended to provide fire support for the infantry, but the introduction of a new shaped charge anti-tank round in 1943 enabled it to deal effectively with German armour at short ranges.     

The SU-85 ('Samokhodnaya Ustanovka 85') was a Soviet self-propelled gun, also based on the T-34 chassis.  It was the result of a crash program in 1943 to develop a tank destroyer that could deal with heavy German tanks like the Tiger I, which was largely invulnerable to the standard 76.2mm Soviet tank gun.  The SU-85's main armament was a modified 85mm anti-aircraft gun.  As it was intended to provide long-range anti-tank support, no machine-gun was fitted.  It first saw action in 1943, and proved to be a popular weapon.     

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 12:47:49 pm »
Thanks Pinky for the rewrite.  The original write-up is again wikipedia material (with minor modifications)... haha!

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 09:00:25 pm »
Nice to have a choice in fender styles , but the Su -122 never had angled style fenders , IRC it was out of production by that time . In fact some factories never did implement the angle fender or change from dish wheels   even in  post war production of T-34 /85 & SU-100.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 10:25:46 pm »
Ripley, in that case, might save us two extra parts...  ;)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 12:09:17 am »
Just a quick update on our SU project:

- We have revamped the top front hull assembly on both the SU-85 and SU-122 so that they are much easier to get attached to the hull body.
- The SU-85 gun assembly had also been reworked so that it will be comparable to the real gun in terms of elevation and rotation.
- The hatches (edited, thanks ripley) on both tanks had also been modified and make them sturdier when they are open.
- We have decided to re-tool the optional oil drums on the original "common" T-34/76 and T-34/85 sprue.  The T-34/76 front hull machine gun also benefit on this change.
- Have sent the file to 3D prototyping, and hopefully will see some samples soon!

;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:07:46 pm by Rubicon Models »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 11:21:17 am »
 Just to set things straight , the SU-122 and 85 really didn't have Commander hatches . The Commander in each , sat in the right front corner of the vehicle. The SU-85 had a movable periscope and 2 fixed ones in a bulge on the roof . The SU-122 only had a movable scope as it was a indirect fire weapon , which sat back from the front line like the artillery piece it was based on .  The square hatches on both vehicles are for  crew access and resupply of ammo . The SU-100 did have a Commanders hatch , it being the same round cupola used on the T-34/85 tank .

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 11:34:26 am »
I think Rubicon was just referring to the hatches generally.  Open hatches are one of the vulnerable points of wargaming models - along with headlights and MG barrels...

Really looking forward to this kit.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 10:22:49 pm »
Sorry , just a little OCD when it comes to identifying tank parts . So many kits have things mislabeled . Really can't wait for this lit though . I thought my Russians were good with 8 T-34 tanks , but now I'm going to have to rethink my combat force . And kit bash more tank riders  ::) . Maybe when Rubicon gets their figures perfected they could release sets of seated tank riders from the major players of WW2 . Sort of like BA figure sprues , 5 or 6 seated bodies , assorted heads , arms and weapons .

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 10:53:41 pm »
Sorry , just a little OCD when it comes to identifying tank parts . So many kits have things mislabeled . Really can't wait for this lit though .
We totally agree, we had spend a lot of time trying to get the right part names, but sometimes is quite difficult for us because of language translation issues... still we tried our best!

I thought my Russians were good with 8 T-34 tanks , but now I'm going to have to rethink my combat force . And kit bash more tank riders  ::) . Maybe when Rubicon gets their figures perfected they could release sets of seated tank riders from the major players of WW2 . Sort of like BA figure sprues , 5 or 6 seated bodies , assorted heads , arms and weapons .
Soviet tank riders had ALWAYS on our mind... something that we would like to do it right!  Probably 5 to 6 riders in various poses with different weapons in summer uniform.  Will make that happen in 2016!

;)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 06:37:30 pm »
Finally had the time to get the SU SPG (SU-85 & SU-122) 3D prototypes done:

Comment anyone?
;)

Yaquir

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 08:21:46 pm »
Nice Kit. The details looks good. What about some tools on the chasis or where there usualy none?