Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussions / Will the Official Assembly Instructions section get updated?
« Last post by Tracks on January 09, 2024, 11:26:06 am »
    Rubicon Models »
    Rubicon Models »
    Official Assembly Instructions
This section has none of the newest releases for some time.
Work In Progress / Re: Project of the Month - Dec 2021 - M3 Lee & Grant
« Last post by H0ffmn on October 15, 2023, 08:17:03 am »
Rubicon,
       Thank you for responding so quickly. Is there any chance that you could let us know what your next wave of releases may be? You've went through and turned all of your projects on the Production Schedule into kits on the market. That's very commendable!!
« Last post by Jaeger on October 14, 2023, 11:28:32 pm »
The M7 is interesting news. 
Looking forward to both. 
I still want an M21 also.
« Last post by Rubicon Models on October 14, 2023, 05:58:09 pm »
Possibility not.  The project is still on hold in the drawing stage because of some production issues.  Not because of the M3 Lee/Grant but the M7 Priest.  Might have to wait for a while before we can move both projects to mould making.  Sorry.

:(
« Last post by H0ffmn on October 14, 2023, 09:17:20 am »
Hi. Any chance of the M-3 Lee/Grant being released in your next wave of kit releases??
General Discussions / Re: m54 truck
« Last post by Rubicon Models on October 07, 2023, 11:53:47 pm »

The M54 was being planned as a "base" kit for potential conversion and expansion.  Hope you can do something with it.  ;)
General Discussions / m54 truck
« Last post by sandsmodels on October 02, 2023, 05:45:38 pm »
just bought the m54 truck, splendid truck model with loads of modeling potential not just g.s. ones.
i think i will be buying more of them.
General Discussions / Re: Panzer 38t
« Last post by H0ffmn on July 31, 2023, 10:58:52 pm »
If you do opt to model the WG 38t as an earlier Ausf A thru Ausf C, you would need
 to shape the front upper hull at an angle, along the lines of, say a Panzer IV Ausf D or E, building up the front left upper hull by the machine gun area on the 38t Aust A thru C.,moving it forwards. You would have to rebuilt the upper hull access hatch at the radio operators position, thin the upper hull and front turret armor plates, and add a  riveted plate around the turret machine gun position. For the Ausf A and B, you would need to redo the exhaust, lowering it, and instead of leaving the exhaust to the muffler angled, you would have to make the exhaust pipe go straight into the muffler . On the Ausf A and B models, you would need to remove the splash ring around the turret as well.
 I guess you could always just use the Panzer 38t Aust E  as it is. I'm sure a lot of people do,and how many people would know,or care if you did. If that were the case, then ,why stop there? Just make a single Panzer III Ausf J,and proxy it it as a Panzer III Ausf E,or as any German tank?
 I like to model and use the correct tank model for the correct time period. I'm sure that there are others that do as well. That is why I brought up the question to Rubicon to possibly make a Panzer 38t in the future. I hope that they do.
« Last post by Tracks on July 31, 2023, 08:20:47 am »
I'm not sure what to make of the WG model, because it sure has a ton of riveting on it, and the E/F had more welding present, and the G had almost no riveting at all. So the WG really isn't a stand in for the final G version unless you snip/sand off all those rivets!

So it sounds like it would stand in better for an earlier 38t than a later one, though I didn't think of removing all those rivets for a Ausf G. I have one un-built kit remaining, so I might just do that. Thanks for the info EWG.
« Last post by EarlyWarGamer on July 28, 2023, 01:54:43 pm »
The nice bit about having a Panzer 35(t) is that once you have one, you have all your bases covered. There was the single basic design. The Germans captured something like 218 of them, and while they were certainly used, they did not enter production, So there is not a parade of Ausf "X" models to deal with.

Whereas the Panzer 38(t) was produced to the tune of just over 1,400 of them, across 7 models (Ausf A to Ausf G).  Not to mention several thousand being produced after the basic 38(t) stopped to be made into SP vehicles like the Marder III and Grille. And that doesn't count the thousands that were the basis for the Hetzers.

As for conversion possibilities, the "problem" is how much effort do you want to put into it.  The A through D had small changes and adaptations between them. Where we enter trouble is with the Ausf E. It had 25mm armor plates added to the front and 15mm armor plates added to the sides.  So if you are starting with an A thru D you can turn that into an E. But if you are starting with an E, removing those extra thick armor plates becomes an issue.

According to my own non-exhaustive list:

Ausf A = 100% riveted. Call this the base
Ausf B = Mostly riveted, a bit of welding.  Small changes (Notek lights, gun sight cover modified, smoke grenade launchers)
Ausf C = Mostly riveted, some welding.  Small changes (turret ring splash, German radio aerial, higher exhaust muffler)
Ausf D = Mostly riveted, some welding.  Straight front plate, large stowage box on left middle fender
Ausf E = More welding, less riveting.  Armor plates added.  Changes include new driver and gunner visors, two smaller stowage boxes
Ausf F = Very similar to Ausf E
Ausf G = Nearly 100% welded. Very similar to E/F but both storage boxes have been eliminated.

So an Ausf A can become a B, C or D with minor tweaks.  And an E can easily pass for an F or even a G with little effort.  But crossing from those early versions to the later versions is the rough patch. I'm not sure what to make of the WG model, because it sure has a ton of riveting on it, and the E/F had more welding present, and the G had almost no riveting at all. So the WG really isn't a stand in for the final G version unless you snip/sand off all those rivets!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10