Poll

You want to see a Tiger II with or without Zimmerit?

Yes, without Zimmerit
50 (62.5%)
Yes, with Zimmerit please
11 (13.8%)
Yes, but I don't care!
11 (13.8%)
No need for a Tiger II
8 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Proposed Project: Tiger II  (Read 22631 times)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Proposed Project: Tiger II
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 09:28:33 am »
I guess you could make 2 Tiger  II kits . The Porsche turret version with 2 turrets , one with , one without zimm . Then the hull could be made so the glasis plate and sides are separate pieces  ( sort of like the side panels of your Panzer IV ),with or without zimm . The same for the Henschel turret version . This would give you 2 basic sprues , body and wheels / track for the kit , and then add the Porsche or Henshcel turret sprue  as needed .  I seem to recall , Dragon does the same kind of thing in 1/35 for the glasis plates of their Panthers , it gives them a basic body with the front plate added depending on the vehicle type .

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 11:37:34 am »
Ripley: We are exploring different possibilities.  The Tiger II is still not a confirm project, but rather a general survey on what customers wanted.  We wanted to use this information as a basis for our design work.  From our current project list, we don't see we can even start working on a Tiger II until Q3/2015.  Would be very interested to see someone's plastic Tiger I with Zimmerit... probably Q2/2015?

We will be putting up another survey soon!  All these for our Q3/2015 production schedule... thanks for everyone's comments and support!

;)

Keith

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 08:32:52 pm »
In an ideal world I'd like to see the Porsche production with zimmerit and a separate kit (Henschel) without.  :)
Most details could be shared between the two of course.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 09:14:21 pm »
In an ideal world I'd like to see the Porsche production with zimmerit and a separate kit (Henschel) without.  :)
Most details could be shared between the two of course.

We have to agree... but game-wise, don't think a lot of players will field that many Tiger IIs.

Our initial thought is just ONE Tiger II kit with two turrets, which is already a 4 sprue kit.

If we are to produce TWO kits - one Porsche turret with Zimmerit, and one production turret without Zimmerit; plus the hull with and without Zimmerit - the mould cost will be tremendous and not worthwhile to consider; even with one or two shared sprues!

This survey is to give us some ideas on what to expect from customers.  There is enough feedback on this issue for us to plan our production for next year!
;)

Blues

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 08:54:23 pm »
Hi.

The Tiger II is one of my favourite tanks, so I don't care as long as you make it.

tinfish

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 01:36:19 am »
I voted for With, however in all honesty, I'd not care if it came with crew. Just a commander, maybe another, not looking for a full 3D internal tank with crew :D

S for Shrek

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 02:53:38 am »
Any chance of doing both types of turret in a kit of this beast, please?

elcee

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 01:00:51 am »
No zimmerit. Using putty and some modeling tools will lead to a much better looking zimmerit and the result looks much less uniform.

I understand that a large model is a risk, but tiger i & ii are similar, how the tiger ii more risky than a tiger i, do the tiger i sell better?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 07:31:20 pm by elcee »

han5gruber

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 08:04:56 am »
You could make it without zimmerit and include a "tool" similar to the link below. That would enable people to apply their own and take up a small amount of space on the sprue. Or you could make your own small sprue with it, that way even your tiger I kit could have proper zimmerit!

http://www.hobby.net.ua/images/099161.jpg

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 10:40:12 am »
You could make it without zimmerit and include a "tool" similar to the link below. That would enable people to apply their own and take up a small amount of space on the sprue. Or you could make your own small sprue with it, that way even your tiger I kit could have proper zimmerit!

Thanks han5gruber!  We will look into this and see how it will work out... to the right scale, of course!

elcee

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 06:28:39 am »
I worked with similar tools before, the results can be excellent, with enough practice at least.

But with details like tools and tow cables molded on the hull you are limited in the use of those tools and the result is less good.
MY (!) opinion is:
Most people wouldn t bother using the tools (as in to much work), for alot others the result will be unsatisfactory (lacking practice).  Those who achieve good will be a fraction of the buyers and those will either buy other tools ore use more creative methods (as seen in the modeling section).
Its not really worth it...

bull-nut

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 05:10:03 pm »
I'm not convinced there is a need for Tiger 2, and voted accordingly. I don't think it is anywhere near as well known as Tiger 1, T-34 or Sherman.

However, if you are set on including both turrets with a Tiger 2, what about an optional approach. Would it be possible to make the hull side and upper glacis plates separate components and double sided, with all the relevant details moulded onto them on each side, except that one side has zimmerit and the other doesn't. Make one turret with and one without (I think the flat fronted turret, I keep forgetting which manufacturer that is, had zimmerit more than the rounded one. Though I could be wrong, don't have my references to hand) and people can choose whether they want to build with Zim or without.

Double siding the parts would of course take up no extra space on the sprue compared with separating the parts anyway.

elcee

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2015, 08:41:52 pm »
I think timing is a factor as well, with warlord / italeri releasing kitsplastic kits, especially with the large kits, the kits will sell better if there is "no" alternative product. If the is one i can imagine alot people wont ghuy another one of the same type.
Not like lighter vehicles where wargamerw might buy more than one...

pmbk

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2015, 03:05:02 am »
I agree, that Tiger II is not the most needed German AFV at the moment. Sure it's a beautiful tank, but it doesn't really see much action on tabletops. In my opinion Jagdpanzer IVs or Marder IIIs would be far better idea, and they would sell better (sure they're a bit less iconic than Tiger II, but they see much more action in wargames), so I voted that there is no need for a Tiger II as for now.

But if I had to choose which variant of Tiger II to produce, I'd go with the zimmerit-lacking variant. Factory-made zimmerit doesn't look satisfactory for a modeller, and gamers don't really give a damn about having it or not :P . So the Henschel Tiger II would be great straight out of the box (as they rarely had zimmerit), while the Porsche variant would require a little bit of work from a modeller's perspective, but still be usable for both modeller and gamer. Also please don't forget that those Tigers not only had different turrets, but also wheels!

han5gruber

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2015, 05:46:20 am »
one of the main reasons that i haven't bought the warlord panther or tiger I is that the Zimmerit looks horrid.