Author Topic: Studebaker US6 Truck - Updated 151231  (Read 21242 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Studebaker US6 Truck - Updated 151231
« on: July 14, 2015, 12:20:46 pm »
This is new on the Drawing Board, but thought it is only right to show you what we have been doing for our Allies customers, besides all the upcoming US new releases...  Some background history on the Studebaker US6:

Studebaker and REO built a total of 219,882 2-1/2-ton 6x6 trucks in thirteen variations. Most were exported to the Soviet Union (from 1942) with limited use by the American armed forces.

Large numbers of Lend-Lease Studebaker trucks were sent into the Soviet Union via the Persian Corridor.  The Soviets found them a good platform for "Stalin Organ" Katyusha rocket launchers, although it was not their prime use in the Soviet Union.  It fulfilled many roles in the Red Army, such as pulling artillery and was renowned for its ruggedness and reliability.  The truck was affectionately known as the Studer by Soviet troops.

Studebaker US6 trucks were also used in the construction of the Burma Road as well as the Alcan Highway in North America.

Instead of showing you the actual US6 truck, we are announcing this project with a lend-lease version with the infamous BM13 Katyusha<- Pinky, this one is for you!!

This is just the preliminary work, we are continually making changes to it until we are satisfied with the design, then comes the prototyping.

Will post the truck version at a later date.  Enjoy!

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:34:41 pm by Rubicon Models »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Studebaker US6 Truck - 150714
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 07:25:53 pm »
Looks very good.  Another great choice of subject.

airborne

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: Studebaker US6 Truck - 150714
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 03:24:18 am »
What a great idea with so many options.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Studebaker US6 Truck - Updated 150715
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 05:29:59 pm »
Update the 3D drawings to include the truck itself, plus changes to the BM13 support frame...

Enjoy!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 12:31:48 pm »
The basic truck looks good too (I assume the actual model with have some seats!). 

I hope you can give the Katyusha launcher the Rubicon treatment i.e. produce it in as few parts as possible. 

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 01:35:47 pm »
The basic truck looks good too (I assume the actual model with have some seats!). 
If you look closely, there are seats on the drawing.  Also, the seats should be removable as option too!

I hope you can give the Katyusha launcher the Rubicon treatment i.e. produce it in as few parts as possible.
You bet!

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 12:34:58 am »
Latest 3D Prototypes for our Studebaker US6 project!

The US6 truck...

The US6 with BM13 Multiple Rocket Launcher "Katyusha"

Enjoy!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 11:55:19 am »
Looking good!  It seems to capture the Studebaker's lines very well.  From a quick look at photos of Red Army vehicles, it might be worth checking whether the wheel hubs are completely accurate.  The front bumper also seems to have protruded forwards a bit more.  But these are very minor points.

Any chance of a close-up of the driver?  Will it have a canopy for the cargo bed?

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 12:23:16 pm »
Looking good!  It seems to capture the Studebaker's lines very well.  From a quick look at photos of Red Army vehicles, it might be worth checking whether the wheel hubs are completely accurate.  The front bumper also seems to have protruded forwards a bit more.  But these are very minor points.

Any chance of a close-up of the driver?  Will it have a canopy for the cargo bed?
The wheel hub matches with available photos that we had on file (books and online images).  At least these are the "original" wheel hub that initially came with the US6.  We did saw different ones, probably from the Russians...  Will check measurement on the front bumper.

Will try to get some macro images for the driver... and YES, there is going to be a canopy.

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 10:11:33 pm »
I don't pretend to know much about Studebakers, but the photos of them in Soviet service seem to show a protruding wheel hub (see the examples below).  One of these photos also shows that the bumper protruded further.  The other seems to show some kind of winch on the front.  See what you think. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:14:12 pm by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 10:42:15 pm »
I don't pretend to know much about Studebakers, but the photos of them in Soviet service seem to show a protruding wheel hub (see the examples below).  One of these photos also shows that the bumper protruded further.  The other seems to show some kind of winch on the front.  See what you think.
We are also doing the winch version, just not shown.  We are having a studio meeting tomorrow, issues with the tyre and the tyre cab are on the list.  We also have some comments from our Polish/Russian modellers too!  All will be raised during the meeting.

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 11:24:24 pm »
I bet the Polish and Russian modellers are happy to see this kit!

I don't have any decent references on the Katyusha launcher, so nothing useful to add on that except that I like the simplified design.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Studebaker US6 Truck - Updated 151005
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 01:20:26 am »
Revised 3D prototypes of the Studebaker US6 truck and the BM13 MRL...

Enjoy!

Bruno_015

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: Studebaker US6 Truck - Updated 151005
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 02:47:01 am »
In the katyusha I have the impression that the rockets would hit the structure that holds them, in the trinagular part of the structure that sticks out of the ramp, or maybe to launch it, the ramp is inclined further and the porblem disappears.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Studebaker US6 Truck - Updated 151226
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 01:53:42 pm »
In Europe, people traditionally gave servants and tradespeople presents in "present boxes" on the day after Christmas, in a custom dating back since the middle ages...

Today, we are showing our TS1 plastic Studebaker US6 and BM13 sprues!  These three sprues will enable you to build...

- A standard Studebaker US6 truck
- with or without a canvas top
- rear of the canvas top can be in open or close position
- with or without a winch
- or a BM13 Katyusha MRL truck
- with rotating and elevating rocket frame
- comes with driver

Enjoy!
;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 02:00:53 pm by Rubicon Models »