Author Topic: UVS models: Salute 2021 11/12/2020  (Read 199632 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: UVS models
« Reply #360 on: March 17, 2018, 09:59:18 pm »
I do not have the Studebaker kit yet, so this is good to know.
On the subject of wheels, I was a bit disappointed in the Jeep wheels.

Cut and paste from other post:
Jeep Wheels:
The Rubicon Jeep kits are nice. I like the kits... but I'm a bit disappointed in the wheels (parts B09, B10, B18, B19, and B08). The wheels themselves look nice, but the tire sidewall is high giving the tire a balloon look. What seemed to have happened was that the wheel rim was not done correctly. A good example of what the wheel should have looked like is clearly shown on the box art for the Commonwealth Willys MB kit (Product Code: 280050). Because of the tan colored wheel rims, you can clearly see how the wheels should have looked. The actual wheels for the model suffers in that the rim is not done correctly thereby giving the tire itself a larger than normal sidewall. Except for the the excessive sidewalls of the tires, the Rubicon Jeep is a fantastic kit.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #361 on: March 17, 2018, 10:18:40 pm »
I think I see what you mean.

I still have not finished this yet.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 17, 2018, 11:24:30 pm »
I got myself a STAEDTLER circle template to help with painting wheels and cutting out circles in thin plastic sheet . It goes from 1/16 (1.587mm ) to 2 1/4 inches ( 57.150mm ) , it gives you 45 different sizes of circles . Picked it up at Office Depot

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #363 on: March 18, 2018, 04:36:40 pm »
Thanks.

For cutting circles I have a compass cutter (I forgot to photograph it last night).

I did wonder about using it to cut a mask, but the wheel rim is too deep into the curve of the tyre for a clean border.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #364 on: March 18, 2018, 04:40:22 pm »
So, here is the Studebaker in its base coat.

A Bad Squiddo female Soviet for scale. Saying that, they are on the small side. I will have to build a Bolt Action Soviet for a comparison (and list the colours).

It still needs decals and final weathering (and possibly a quick brush with isopropyl alcohol to smooth out the green shade on the bonnet).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:44:03 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 18, 2018, 08:27:24 pm »
I think I see what you mean.

I still have not finished this yet.

Nice Jeep ultravanillasmurf, and from that angle the wheels look a bit better.
It is more obvious from this angle:

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 18, 2018, 10:16:14 pm »
The trucks looking great , I think you've got the wheels done as best as possible with the limitations of the molded parts . How do you find the Bad Squiddo figures , and what sets do you have ? I picked up the tank crew set , and once I get another  T-34 or 2 ( maybe 4  ::) ) I'll get another

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #367 on: March 18, 2018, 11:18:57 pm »
I have the squad set - 2xSMGs, LMG team, six rifles, the tank riders and the tank crew.

This is the first one painted (the rest of the squad are based and primed).
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/bad-squid-female-soviet-troops.html

They do appear small - I have just assembled a Bolt Action Soviet for comparison. I will post a comparison later.

They are reasonable mouldings and sculpts. Plastic mouldings would be better.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 19, 2018, 12:21:50 am »
They seem more "scale " than BA heroic , probably fit well with Rubicon's forthcoming Russians, I hope  . How are the tank riders ? Do they look good , fit well on the tank hull and in more than one position ? I really like the tank crew , wish BS would do a another set of full figures sitting / standing   on the outside of the tank ( for diorama purposes )

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #369 on: March 19, 2018, 02:07:52 am »
My Compass Cutter.

You just need to change the blades regularly and try and keep it vertical.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #370 on: March 19, 2018, 02:16:54 am »
The Bad Squiddo figures are not as small as I thought. I have not compared them to the Perry figures. I suspect they are slightly more "Heroic".

This is the first one I have painted.

I did have a play around with getting the tank crew to fit the T34/76. The "skirt" of the jacket does not fit in the Mickey Mouse 76mm turret without slight modification. I plan to fit one to it when I build the turret (the one from the T34/85 kit).

I wish there had been a full length figure or a set of legs that fitted the half figures for the full width bin lid turret (as discussed earlier).

I have "stored" the tank riders somewhere, they will turn up at some time
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:19:20 am by ultravanillasmurf »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #371 on: March 19, 2018, 02:20:50 am »
The T34/76 and the Studebaker.

They were sprayed the same colour (Humbrol Dark Green).

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 19, 2018, 06:37:29 am »
Wow real difference in color between the two , has one got a wash or been dry brushed ?  Does your BS figure have a brown / leather painted side bag or is it a canvas bag with a heavy wash . The only leather gear ( or ersatz leather )  the Russians had were the belt , rifle pouches , pistol holster , map case  & binnoc  case . Everything else was of some form of canvas / fabric , like 2nd rate Brit webbing

Just to give you a heads up before you paint the lot
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:39:12 am by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #373 on: March 19, 2018, 11:13:06 pm »
Rats, I misread the colours on the PSC box.

Now I need to remember what colour I used on the webbing. The dry brushing was terrible anyway.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #374 on: March 20, 2018, 06:56:56 am »
Okay, version 2.0.

Still a bit dark. I used Citadel Steel Legion Drab, might be better with Vallejo German camouflage beige.