Author Topic: New wish list for 2016  (Read 25251 times)

Patrick R

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: New wish list for 2016
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 10:44:49 pm »
I was doing some early spring cleaning today and came across a box of old 1/72nd scale models.  One of these models used to be one of my favourites, the SIG 33 Grille.

GoWestover

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2016, 09:41:21 am »
I'd love it if Rubicon would release an M4A1 kit. This would be great for those wanting to field an Operation Torch\North Africa or Sicily\Italian campaign. I'm referring to the M4A1s that had the cast hull and small mantlet. Also, when combined with the current M4A3 kit, you could swap the older turret for the T23 turret and have an M4A1 76W; perfect for a Normandy Invasion period tank, as I understand several of the older M4A1s were re-fitted with the T23 turret and 76MM main gun as an attempt to answer their problems of dealing with the superior German armor...

Thoughts?

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2016, 01:42:15 pm »
I'd love it if Rubicon would release an M4A1 kit. This would be great for those wanting to field an Operation Torch\North Africa or Sicily\Italian campaign. I'm referring to the M4A1s that had the cast hull and small mantlet. Also, when combined with the current M4A3 kit, you could swap the older turret for the T23 turret and have an M4A1 76W; perfect for a Normandy Invasion period tank, as I understand several of the older M4A1s were re-fitted with the T23 turret and 76MM main gun as an attempt to answer their problems of dealing with the superior German armor...

Thoughts?

I think there's a lot of interest in a a 'small hatch' M4A1 kit.  They also saw wide service in Normandy and the Pacific.  But there are important detail changes between the early version that was used in North Africa and the subsequent (and more common) version.  These include the replacement of the M3-type VVSS suspension with the improved M4-type, a cast instead of bolted transmission housing and the replacement of the direct vision blocks in the glacis with periscopes.  So you need quite a lot of parts to cover the versions used for the period 1942-1944, include two sets of tracks/running gear, two different transmission housings and two different hulls.  By late 1943, M4A1s had the wider gun mantlet, and also featured armoured panels on the hull sides and on the right turret cheek (to protect a thin spot created by shaving away the inner wall of the turret) - this is how the M4A1s in Normandy were configured.  You could use the 75mm turret from the M4A3 kit, but this is a later production 'high bustle' turret, that only appeared on the final version of the 75mm-armed M4A1. 

When it comes to the 76mm version, you also need the later 'large hatch' hull as well as the T23 turret.  The T23 turret wasn't retro-fitted to the 'small hatch' hull (although they did fit a 76mm gun to the 75mm turret, this wasn't used during the war).   

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2016, 08:01:58 pm »
I agree that a Sherman 2 would be great, and Pinky's comments about the variations.

This has articles on the variations (single source warnings apply).

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/index.html

GoWestover

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2016, 10:13:43 pm »
Wow! Thanks for the thorough reply! This just goes to show you that there's always lots more detail to a given subject matter than what you initially thought.

My ultimate wish would be for a model kit that would allow someone to build an M4A1 76W comparable to what is found at Normandy - with the option to have it without the muzzle brake. This is what I had in mind:

http://tank-photographs.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/overlord-museum-colleville-sur-mer-m4a1-sherman-tank.html

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2016, 01:53:23 am »
My ultimate wish would be for a model kit that would allow someone to build an M4A1 76W comparable to what is found at Normandy - with the option to have it without the muzzle brake.

That's the standard configuration of the M4A1 (76mm) during Normandy.  They were the first 76mm armed Shermans to see action.  They were gradually replaced in US service by the M4A3 (76mm).  The lack of a muzzle brake was typical - these were in short supply and didn't appear till late 1944.

I think Rubicon might be able to squeeze in the parts for a mid and late production M4A1 (75mm) and the 76mm version.  That would require 2 hulls and 2 turrets, a choice of mantlets (narrow and wide) for the 75mm turret, and optional appliqué armour plates for the hull and turret.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 11:42:09 am by Pinky »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2016, 03:05:19 am »
I wonder if Rubicon could put all the bits on the sprues to build a common lower hull and turrets and then supply the required hull separately, similar to the cabs on the lorries and the forthcoming Jeep (I know they are in that format because of the different mould types).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 04:25:59 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2016, 03:22:21 am »
In a slightly different vein, a set of steel resilient wheels for the Panther G kit would be nice, not only for very late war vehicles, but to go with the slew of Panther F turrets popping up at the moment (Heer46, Company B & JTFM).

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2016, 04:56:18 pm »
In a slightly different vein, a set of steel resilient wheels for the Panther G kit would be nice, not only for very late war vehicles, but to go with the slew of Panther F turrets popping up at the moment (Heer46, Company B & JTFM).
Plus the upcoming Official Bolt Action supplement for the Clockwork Goblin range (Konflikt '47 in July https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/Wargames_The_Big_Reveal/).

Of course it is a question of the market size, plastic moulds have a large initial outlay, so you need to know that you can sell a lot of kits.

Would there be the required interest in a sdkfz 251 style Panther G plus small turret, resilient wheels and infra red sights four sprue kit?

Or a 251 kit with IR searchlight, figures with IR sighted rifles and tank IR sights?

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2016, 06:20:51 pm »
Would there be the required interest in a sdkfz 251 style Panther G plus small turret, resilient wheels and infra red sights four sprue kit?

Or a 251 kit with IR searchlight, figures with IR sighted rifles and tank IR sights?

These would be very cool kits.  And I think there'd be interest.  But personally I really prefer Rubicon to focus on more common vehicles (including armoured cars and soft-skins) before heading off into more obscure territory.  An early Panzer III, an M4A1 Sherman, a British truck - that kind of thing. 

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2016, 12:27:33 am »
While I think Panther G / late war paper panzer type stuff would be cool , I do think that some conversion parts and turrets should be  left to the after market guys like Company B and S & S . I built a Pz IV Whirbelwind using Comp B's resin turret , a little work but it turned out  awesome . Also have some of S & S's conversion kits on my to buy list for ARVs  . Rubicon should as Pinky says , continue to release many more important   vehicles that were used in greater numbers in the war , than the one offs built by the Germans . There are lots of tanks  , trucks and armoured cars types that need some attention in both plastic and resin . Some kick starters are creating great  French, Hungarian and Japanese vehicles to fill the need , but cost might prohibit some from getting them . At the end of the day , the more kits the merrier . it doesn't really matter who makes them , I just want to build tanks  :-[

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2016, 01:37:51 am »
Ripley is right - more non-German subjects would be good.  I think Rubicon has done a great job giving equal coverage to non-German subjects - especially US and Soviet vehicles.  So it would be good to see something Italian, or maybe French.  It's riskier territory though - I have no idea what the market is for an M13/40 or a Somua S35.

sandsmodels

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2016, 08:21:30 pm »
cmp trucks would be good, you can do a lot with the different wheelbases and bodies ect

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2016, 11:14:56 am »
All your postings are read daily and we understand what you all wanted.

We have basically finished our "First Wave" of production kits, and is now working on our "Second Wave" kits.  This time, the list is not too long and should have the chance to add new projects into this wave.  Might be something from the Wish List... stay tuned!
;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2016, 05:25:33 pm »
Ripley is right - more non-German subjects would be good.  I think Rubicon has done a great job giving equal coverage to non-German subjects - especially US and Soviet vehicles.  So it would be good to see something Italian, or maybe French.  It's riskier territory though - I have no idea what the market is for an M13/40 or a Somua S35.
I too agree that non-German subjects would be good. As a modeller of British subjects, more British vehicles would be nice - currently for post D-Day Europe there is only an indigenous AA vehicle. But on further reflection (and slipping into the "what have the Romans done for us" sketch) there is also a light tank, a tank destroyer (with indigenous gun) and an armoured car with jeeps and lorries to come. Which is probably actually better than the Soviets.

No idea what the market would be for French or Italian equipment, the latter might get a boost from the Bolt Action North African supplement. Opportunity for an Italian versus British release (I do not have the Axis supplement so cannot suggest suitable opposing vehicles, possibly a light tank or an A13)?

Trucks make sense, but when it comes to spending my "pocket money" the inner child goes for the shiny tank, at least this one does... But if it was an AEC Matador or Steve Palfry's Scammel ...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:28:33 pm by ultravanillasmurf »