Author Topic: UVS models: Salute 2021 11/12/2020  (Read 201216 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: UVS models
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2017, 02:13:34 am »
The Dennis Oliver book has a drawing with them on the radio box on the bustle.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2017, 09:52:40 am »
It's too late now, but I would have put the metal stowage box on the rear deck, not on the side.  It's more likely they'd weld a box to that panel.  Now it's there, I'd suggest a horizontal retaining strip between the 2 brackets.

Good work on the soft stowage.  I'd suggest another layer piled up towards the rear.     

Did you have trouble cleaning up the appliqué armour panels on the sides?  As they are moulded on, the sides of the panels aren't vertical, and fixing that is a pain.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:22:33 pm by Pinky »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #167 on: January 16, 2017, 07:17:22 pm »
Ho hum, I had not noticed the appliqué Armour issue.

It is now undercoated and base coated, there was a gap in the rubbish weather (unfortunately before I read your post) so the stowage is as was.

The next one will have more stowage (and horizontal spare track with teeth).

I do plan to get a separate Sherman VC to be called Hercules, I will need another German stowage set.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 16, 2017, 10:03:29 pm »
I found photos in the Dennis Oliver book of British Sherman's with large wooden boxes fixed to the rear, so ignore my earlier comment!

I am still fixing the appliqué armour on mine.  With each adjustment, the plates get marginally smaller...the commander's hatch is pretty bad too - I might replace it with the hatch from the forthcoming Rubicon M4A3 kit (as I plan to build mine as M4A3E8s).

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #169 on: January 16, 2017, 10:40:20 pm »
The Dennis Oliver book did inspire the stowage.

I am ignoring the appliqué shape on this one, I might have a go on the other one.

On the Churchill I glued the two halves of the hatches to some plastic strip before glueing them to the turret.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2017, 06:11:58 pm »
I have not yet used the sculpting tools on any stowage, but have found them useful to get greenstuff to stick to the model and not my fingers.

I have used it on some Frostgrave plastic barbarians, have a look at my blog:
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/frostgrave-barbarians-first-build.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:19:47 am by ultravanillasmurf »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #171 on: January 24, 2017, 06:52:49 am »
Making haste slowly.

After adding a bunch of soft stowage to the Churchill, I decided to put some camouflage on the Rubicon Panther G.

Very broad outline. The stripes are Citadel Mournfang Brown (applied with a very broad brush).

Inspired by the Panther G at the Tank Museum.

Will this be finished by the end of the year?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:55:47 am by ultravanillasmurf »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 24, 2017, 11:26:57 am »
Are you going to add green bands as well? 

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #173 on: January 24, 2017, 05:51:51 pm »
Are you going to add green bands as well?

No, I am going for the red brown and pale sand over the dark yellow.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #174 on: February 05, 2017, 07:38:36 am »
As previously mentioned I decided to use the sdkfz250/1 Alte as a sdkfz253 Totenkontrolfahrzeug for Weird War games.

So I have started the assembly (none of the problems I had with the Studebaker). I have used the cyclone filters off the Tiger for a crew compartment air filter.

The rest of the build follows the instructions.

I have not attached the wheel assembly, so the body can be given a coat of PSC dark yellow (in reality I assume that 253s were only turned out in grey with added camouflage later in their life.

The jerry can rack and the box on the door are inspired by the photograph on page 56 of the Terry Gander book on the 250.

The photograph shows I have some finishing to do.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 05, 2017, 11:13:17 am »
The box on the door in that photo is a standard feature of the SdKfz 250/9.  I like the jerrycan bracket.  Maybe have some kind of hose connecting the filter to the crew compartment.  I think a Weird War version of this vehicle would also carry some kind of armament.

Here's my SdKfz 253.  Like you, I move at a fairly glacial pace...

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #176 on: February 05, 2017, 05:24:16 pm »
The original plan was to use the plumbing from the Feifel filters, but that plan fell apart after contact with the top plate (I wanted to keep the big aerial). I still need to fill the hole in the side of one of the filters where the plumbing fitted.

Where it is mounted is behind the fuel tank, but I might put pipes in next to the door.

I think on the instructions the box is on the inside of the door for the 250/1.

I was wondering about fitting an MG42 between the binocular sight as a remote weapon mount.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 05, 2017, 08:14:08 pm »
The original plan was to use the plumbing from the Feifel filters, but that plan fell apart after contact with the top plate (I wanted to keep the big aerial). I still need to fill the hole in the side of one of the filters where the plumbing fitted.

Run some kind of tube from the right side of the Feiffel filter down into the side panel.

I think on the instructions the box is on the inside of the door for the 250/1.

That's meant to be a first aid kit - it's not quite accurate (see p.77 of the Gander book).  I think the box on the outside of the SdKfz 250/9 door is related to the 20mm KwK 38.  There's an open one on p.58 of the Gander book.

I was wondering about fitting an MG42 between the binocular sight as a remote weapon mount.

How about in a ball mount in place of the radio operator's visor?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 08:30:56 pm by Pinky »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #178 on: February 05, 2017, 11:33:51 pm »
Good spot, it is like one of those pictures that is either a candlestick or two faces. Now I know, that is what I see ^___^.

Interesting thought. Definitely want something that can be used "under armour".

There are signs of possible pistol ports on the hull in the drawings and photographs (under the driver/radio operator side vision blocks - the 252 on page 65 - and at the rear side panels - page 88). Trying to work out a way of making regular sized discs.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 06, 2017, 01:21:57 am »
How about the remote MG mount used on the Hetzer and late Stug III ,  that would work , and you could add the close in defence weapon found on late Panthers and Tigers . The drawing on page 74 shows the pistol port under the side view slots on the 253 .  Not sure the rear side disc is a port as the 250/9 has one on page 56 . Not much use if you have no vision slot to see what your shooting at   ::)