Rubicon Models > Work In Progress

British Centurion 105mm Gun Samples 211005

(1/11) > >>

Rubicon Models:
Being the first "Project of the Month" for 2020, we would like to have something different, something out of the ordinary and new... the Centurion Mk 3!!

The Centurion was the primary British main battle tank of the post-Second World War period. Introduced in 1945, it is widely considered to be one of the most successful post-war tank designs, remaining in production into the 1960s, and seeing combat in the front lines into the 1980s. The chassis was also adapted for several other roles, and these have remained in service to this day.

Development of the Centurion began in 1943 with manufacture beginning in January 1945. During WW2, six prototypes arrived in Belgium less than a month after the war in Europe ended in May 1945. It first entered combat with the British Army in the Korean War in 1950, in support of the UN forces. The Centurion later served in the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965, where it fought against US-supplied M47 and M48 Patton tanks and it served with the Royal Australian Armoured Corps in Vietnam.

The Centurion Mk 3 is fitted with 20pdr, slightly shorter hull, 2 stowage positions for track links on the glacis, vehicle weight 49 tons.

Please note the gun travel lock had been updated since these images are created.

Enjoy!
;)

ultravanillasmurf:
Nice.

Not sure what I would do with one (beyond "British tank! Shiny!").

Jaeger:
The Centurion is a wonderful tank project.  Centurions fought against T-34/85 in Korea as well as other late war Soviet vehicles.  This may be the first of a variety of post WWII AFVs.  The T-44 became the T-54 and T-55.  The M26 Pershing became the M46 Patton.  Then there's the mid-east conflicts....

ultravanillasmurf:

--- Quote from: Jaeger on January 05, 2020, 08:31:57 am ---The Centurion is a wonderful tank project.

--- End quote ---
I will agree, but for me (YMMV) it is the wrong scale for 28mm (except for Weird War  2, and perhaps Korea - where there is no plastic infantry).

I will get one (because), but ...

Pinky:
I have been nagging Rubicon about this for ages, so I'm really pleased to see it.  I think that when it comes to vehicles like this, which served beyond WW2, it's a bit of a case of 'if you build it they will come'.  While there may not be a big market for post-war armour for wargaming yet, by making the kits available in plastic Rubicon are paving the way for wargames rules etc.  Warlord have already moved into Korea, although their own model range is pretty crap.  Maybe we'll see rules for the early Arab-Israeli wars, and Vietnam.  For me, having the Centurion (and the Comet and M26) in 28mm, with simplified tracks, is an end in itself!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version