Author Topic: Willys MB Jeep - More Plastic Upgrades 200131  (Read 117930 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: Willys MB - Jeep Stowage 181015
« Reply #180 on: October 15, 2018, 04:38:29 pm »
The layout is much improved as is the lashing.

The Jerry can rack is good, as are the three strapped cans (though there might be issues getting them across the Bonnet of a jeep.

It might be a photographic artefact but there does appear to be a lot of surface pitting, it might not be apparent when they are painted.

I also repeat my (personal) concerns about adding metal to platic kits (not helped by one of my current projects).

I look forward to seeing them painted.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 15, 2018, 06:09:09 pm »

Not only to add to your Jeep model, but I'm also thinking of other uses for things like this. Making small decorative supply pieces, or even CoC Jump Off Points to name just a couple of good uses for these bits.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 15, 2018, 08:53:35 pm »
It’d be nice to see this sort of things for the tanks too. That way we can get more natura lookingl stowage.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 15, 2018, 09:59:11 pm »
While the piles of gear , ammo  and fuel cans look great . I would still like to see them look more generic  . With the helmet and entenching tool molded on , it limits use to Yanks , or maybe the Free French IMO . I guess you could cover them with a  green stuff tarp , but that would hide all the detail of the cast piece  ::)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 15, 2018, 11:48:23 pm »
I feel that these pewter accessories are a step backwards.  Really, if they're going to be multi-media kits, then at least do the accessories in resin.  Metal is harder to modify, harder to attach and more likely to overburden plastic kits. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 08:19:56 am by Pinky »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 16, 2018, 01:34:17 am »
I would still like to see them look more generic. With the helmet and entenching tool molded on, it limits use...

I feel that these pewter accessories are a step backwards.  Really, if they're going to be multi-media kits, then at least do the accessories in resin.  Metal is harder to modify, harder to attach and more likely t o over burden plastic kits. 

Two very good issues, and I agree with both ripley and Pinky.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 16, 2018, 05:20:58 am »
I feel that these pewter accessories are a step backwards.  Really, if they're going to be multi-media kits, then at least do the accessories in resin.  Metal is harder to modify, harder to attach and more likely t o over burden plastic kits.

Or we just don’t get anything at all?

It’s very expensive to produce and bring plastic kits to market. Metal/resin kits on the other hand are comparatively cheap, although with a smaller mark up.

If this allows Rubicon to branch into new markets and test demand before expensive production, then great. If you’re not a fan of metal bits, just don’t buy them.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 16, 2018, 08:21:06 am »
I won't buy them.  But I can still express my view about metal accessories like this.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 16, 2018, 09:05:16 am »
Pewter isn't as crisp detail wise as resin . Plastic depends on the master mold  , some are great , some not so much   . The problem I have with this stowage  is that it's too American . Now if the helmet and entrenching tool  ( and packs ) were separate pieces   , it would be much better . Without those pieces , you could use this piece on a US , Brit , Polish , Canadian , Russian  and Free French vehicle . They all used US style Jerry cans and  ammo boxes , both for tank rounds and machine guns ( Lend Lease ) . With the helmet molded on , I can see it being used for the US and Free French Armor . As I model German , Canadians and Russians ( T-34s ) , this set isn't on my list of things to pick up . Hopefully we'll get country specific ammo box sets some time in the future , although I have already resin cast a pile ( 50 + ) of my own Russian 85mm ammo boxes . Now I need a Gaz AAA truck or two to transport it
German detail bits can have all sorts of helmets and personal kit on them as the German Army was not a boy band like the Western Front Allies were . With German stuff you have to make it year specific , for example ,no Panzerfausts or MP44s on the pile of stowage  if your using it on an Afrika Korp tank or half track   ::)
And smurf , the set of 3 gas cans will fit across the Jeep hood if it's mounted with the handles just above the dash , but you have to remove the wind screen  , check out the SAS Jeeps in North Africa .
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 11:46:58 am by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #189 on: October 16, 2018, 04:25:14 pm »
Thanks Ripley, the source photograph for mine had the soft stowage where the windscreen went. I will bear that in mind for the command vehicle. Another Allied and German stowage set on my list.

I won't buy them.  But I can still express my view about metal accessories like this.
I agree with your points, and none of the metal stowage is currently grabbing my wallet.

Elias, I think that Pinky was suggesting that they would be better suited to plastic models if they were in resin. Certainly the resin vehicles (waffentrager and C11) I have are excellent mouldings and the density of the waffentrager is similar to the ABS plastic used in the kits.

I have a metal modification kit from "the other place" which is extremely ungainly (and has scan lines that look like wood grain and appalling fit). It will eventually turn up on my WIP thread as it has a rack of Rubicon Jerry cans (proudly bearing the W^D mark).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 04:35:03 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Willys MB Jeep - Plastic Upgrades 190920
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2019, 01:38:30 pm »
More or less a year after the official launch, our commitments to our current product offerings – Willy MB Jeep plastic upgrade kits

Besides the various pewter stowage packs that we had already released for the Jeep, several “plastic” blister packs are planned to upgrade or convert your Willys MB Jeep, which might include the following:

- Rear canvas top option
- Rear seat option
- Rear tow hook
- Twin bazooka launcher
- Field upgrade armoured plate

Enjoy!
;)

Ad

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: Willys MB Jeep - Plastic Upgrades 190920
« Reply #191 on: September 21, 2019, 05:38:39 pm »
The rear seat option should have been in the jeep kit. The rear of the jeep still does not have the two oval bumper/foot stirrups on the chassis. Some single .3 and.5cal ammo boxes and few more single US fuel cans and British climates for the early stages of the war.

A British airborne upgrade of a radio and operator to sit in the back of the jeep, a bobbin cable reel and spare battery boxes to place on the mudguards. A rear rack too hold drop baskets or a field ambulance set may be of use but this could be made from the stretcher parts from the 3 in 1 251D kit......I have just talked myself into getting one. ;D

Items such as 6lb or US howitzer ammo boxes would be of use but only if these allied gun will eventually be made and be parts included in the kit.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Willys MB Jeep - Plastic Upgrades 200124
« Reply #192 on: January 24, 2020, 12:42:29 pm »
These are the two WIP plastic sprues for the Willys MB.  We are still working on minor changes on them right now:

From what is available, here are some painted samples of these "UPGRADES"...

Enjoy!
;)

Old Guard

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 24, 2020, 06:09:26 pm »
Excellent additions, and will make the day of a Real Jeep owner i know Who has a kit waiting to be built!

Captain Blood

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 25, 2020, 01:51:04 am »
Absolute beauties  :)