Author Topic: Showcasing my work - models used for gaming.  (Read 18110 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Showcasing my work - models used for gaming.
« on: December 22, 2017, 06:12:20 am »
I have to work on taking better pictures of my models because it seems that the colors and details do not look as they do when you see them in person. It might be the lighting, or my camera setting, or both. I'm not sure.

Here are two examples of Rubicon kits I have finished assembling and painting. They are now ready for the gaming table. I pretty much assembled the kits right out of the box with not additional modifications or changes. They have also been assembled and painted for the purpose of gaming only, so they are painted to a basic "gaming standard", and not for competition or static display. I still hope you can enjoy them. Please feel free to comment.

Jimmy_P

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: Showcasing my work - models used for gaming.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 08:00:12 am »

Yeah photographing miniatures is a surprisingly difficult thing to do well! These both look fantastic though, great work  :)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 10:36:16 am »
Both vehicles look great . What base color did you use for the Sherman ? Looks just about the  perfect shade of OD to me

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 03:32:50 pm »
Beautiful work.  I really like the colours (especially the Sherman - I agree with Ripley that's a great match for faded OD).  Please show us more!

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 03:42:55 pm »
I agree with the above. No idea about the Olive Drab, but that looks great. The subtle camo on the 250 is especially good.

This is not a criticism, it is a question of style. The lighting effect highlights the surface and edge quality which shows off the modelling skill nicely and the underlying kit. It shows off what a good job you have made of it.

I have no idea how to light stuff so it looks full size.

Show us more!

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 05:19:12 pm »
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

What base color did you use for the Sherman ? Looks just about the  perfect shade of OD to me

For a base color, I started out with vallejo Brown Violet (70.887), and worked up from there.
In the photo, the M4 appears just a little bit lighter than if seen in person. Just a little bit though.

The subtle camo on the 250 is especially good.

Its less subtle if you see it in person. For some reason the photo makes it look more subtle. Maybe the camera picks up the dusting better than the underlining camo. I do not know. I'm no expert when it comes to taking photos of miniatures.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 05:41:52 pm »
I hope I do not get into too much trouble because the below photo does not show Rubicon kits, but I am somewhat disappointed in the photo I posted above that I had to show you guys what the colors should really look like. Depending on your video screen and other factors of course.

The Sdkfz 250 model above should actually look just like these models in the photo below. This photo is an old picture I took sometime ago, but I did use the same camera with the same settings as I did for the photos above. The only difference is that I took this photo outdoors when it was lightly overcast (diffused lighting). So maybe its the lighting (and background) that makes it looks so different and not so much the camera.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 04:55:35 pm by Tracks »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 05:55:05 pm »
More great work. The camo is still subtle.

The lighting has a major effect on the colour. I tend to use a combination of the flash on my (elderly) dSLR and a daylight fluorescent (my magnifying work light).

I have thought about a proper daylight lighting rig (LEDs this time) and a proper background (not just some grey foam).

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 09:22:07 pm »
I've used V Brown Violet , and mine didn't turn out that good   :-[ . You've got the weathering / highlighting down pat . Your German stuff looks good a well , maybe a little to clean for my taste , but nicely painted . Getting the lighting right for photos is a hobby in it's self

Jaeger

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 03:31:19 am »
Too clean? Imho no.  They look great. 
Some weathering of models I have seen are too much on vehicles that didn't survive long in combat.
For example: James Wappel's "King of the Jungle" Tiger II.  It does look fantastic, however; King Tigers only lasted for a short time before being lost in combat or more often, abandoned and sabotaged by the crew.  It looks great but the weathering imho is too much.

The above vehicles look great, would be welcomed on anyone's gaming table and shows cases how well they can be done.

$.02

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 09:59:51 pm »
The lighting does have a major effect on the color seen in the photo. I think I will try a combination of lighting and flash as suggested by ultravanillasmurf. That will have to wait until next year. ;)

Here is a picture of one of the Rubicon jeeps I assembled and painted. I painted the jeep and the M4 using the exact same paints and colors, so they should look exactly the same, and they do in person. However, they look slightly different in the photos - I adjusted the lighting a little.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 12:28:11 am by Tracks »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 03:40:42 am »
Two assembled and painted Rubicon Models jeeps.

This time I used natural sunlight as my lighting source, and it made a huge difference! Feel free to make comments, but please remember that my toys models have been assembled and painted for the purpose of gaming only, so they are painted to a basic "gaming standard", and not for "competition" or static display/diorama.

The Euro coin is only used for size reference.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:35:12 pm by Tracks »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 04:47:01 am »
Both very nice paint jobs.

somtec

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 06:39:05 am »
very nice looking jeeps

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 12:02:08 am »

Lovely clean paintwork, excellent stuff (weathering's very much a matter of taste - as demonstrated by the variety of opinion on the forum) :)