Author Topic: The Panzer III Digital Library - Mid-War Panzer 200521  (Read 80361 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The Panzer III Digital Library - 3D Prototypes 181224
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2018, 06:13:11 pm »
No worries, the hatches are swappable, so that you can plug in any pair of hatches to your liking!

As always Rubicon Models, your team is good at offering the modeller/gamer choices.
That being said, it seems that the Panzer III Ausf N (75mm/L24) used more than one type of front hull maintenance hatch. The most common of these seem to have been the flat with hinges.

The Panzer III Ausf N shown below was photographed in Italy, 1944.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 06:14:42 pm by Tracks »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2018, 08:59:34 pm »
As well as different style front hatches , the N could have the hull side escape doors ( if built on  J hull ) or none  , the regular under hull over hang or exposed wadding exhaust  ,  and a turret with side vision ports , or again none . It was the gun that made it a N . Nice to see we really going to have all the options when this kit comes out .

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2018, 02:14:23 am »
Excellent.

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2018, 07:08:49 am »
I am desperate for this.
I'm one of the seemingly few who loved the original.
And now I'm going to be gushing over this one!

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2018, 08:02:17 am »
We didn't love the original because , as a scale model , it had things wrong with it that were not easy to fix , and it  looked  "off" next to other companies Panzer IIIs . As a one off model  to display on my shelf I had no problem with it , to use it with other Panzer IIIs  ( Warlord plastic / resin for example  )in a game  , it just stood out like a sore thumb . Here's a picture of a Sherman kit I bought back in the late 60s , it was a fun build , but in no way did it depict  any real version of the Sherman . With all the better detailed kits available , why would I buy this today ?

As a 1st release kit , Rubicon did pretty good with the Panzer III , but they realized they had to improve their kits to capture a larger share of the market . With the release of their latest kits , the 88 , the T-26 , the 222 series armored cars , and the forth coming  re tooled Panzer III I think they are top of the heap in plastic 1/56 kits , and IMO they also beat out a lot of the 1/56 resin guys as well .

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2018, 02:43:39 pm »
We didn't love the original because , as a scale model , it had things wrong with it that were not easy to fix , and it  looked  "off" next to other companies Panzer IIIs .

Agreed - it's actually a pretty bad model.  Aside from the errors, the detail is poor.  As I understand it, the original Rubicon Panzer III pre-dates their in-house design capability.  They were stuck with something sub-standard (it's noticably inferior to Rubicon's first kit, the Panzer IV, which still looks pretty good, IMO).  Having invested that much, they had to release it to recoup the costs.     

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The Panzer III Digital Library - TS1 Plastic 190506
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2019, 02:50:59 pm »
No more Monday morning blues as we unboxed our first Panzer III testshot from the factory!

A total of SIX plastic sprues for our new Panzer III project, yielding EIGHT variants, Ausf E to Ausf N. Each variant might include different guns, up armour, and upgrades, including command (Panzerbefehlswagen) and flamethrower (Flammpanzer) versions. The total possible built counts now stand at TWENTY-ONE !!

Since this is our first testshot, there are still lots of details missing, but those that were done are just amazing... can't wait for the second testshot.

Enjoy!
;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2019, 03:35:29 pm »
Fantastic to see this project nearing completion.  I think this is the one I've really been looking forward to.  I can see some very interesting components on those sprues, including quite a lot of stowage.  Features like the smoke dischargers also seem greatly improved since earlier kits.

I assume it's one of the missing details you're referring to, but the trackguards are missing the dreaded non-slip pattern...

Lovstrom

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2019, 07:22:03 pm »
I am really looking forward to this. Early panzers are fun.

Sven

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2019, 09:20:37 pm »
I actually did love the original. So  :P

But this is think I'll love more and my Romanians will appreciate having at least 3...to go with the 3 panzer IV I hope to get in June.

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2019, 10:59:30 pm »
Wow. That is really nice. It's nice to see that the hull is Lego comparable too :D

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2019, 02:19:08 am »
That looks great.

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2019, 04:04:11 am »
Loving this project! So looking forward to getting some proper Early War Pz IIIs on the table!

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2019, 10:35:50 am »
This can almost be considered a Rubicon Models deluxe plastic model kit!
Fantastic! Well worth the wait.
I predict that this will be a popular kit for many gamers and some modellers. With so much going on with this kit, hopefully this kit will please many people. I really like the fact that this kit gives you a wide range of choices including early, mid, and late war versions.

Shahbahraz

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2019, 04:08:18 am »
Oh, that looks just fantastic.  Very much looking forward to this one. Can I hope the 'future version' hull-top will allow early Pz III StuG?