Author Topic: Citroen 11CV  (Read 8234 times)

Captain Blood

• Private
    • View Profile
Citroen 11CV
« on: April 16, 2018, 09:31:34 pm »
I am the proud possessor of a Rubicon Models Citroen Traction Avant 11CV picked up at Salute - another beautifully crisp lightweight resin kit.
Does anyone know, for the military option, would it be painted and marked like a military vehicle - or just black like a civilian car, but with official numberplates?
(I'm going to do the former, either way. But am interested to know if that's purely fantastical / wishful thinking, as opposed to strictly historically accurate...  ;D)

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Citroen 11CV
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 10:15:38 pm »
I bought one too, a gorgeous little model :)
 From the pictures I've seen, most seem to be in whatever colour they came in (given that most of the pics were b&w - they look to be dark colours). This is somewhat different to the models you see, with many co-opted by the Germans given a camo scheme. I've not found many painted this way, but here's one used as a staff car by General Kassin at Arnhem (where it was shot up - I don't recall if he was killed, but his driver certainly was & I've cropped the body from the pic as it is a touch grisly).

Here's one post Normandy landings, it still appears to be in it's original colour, but the driver's really gone to town with mud & foliage.

The rest again look to be in whatever dark colour they were originally.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 10:51:58 pm »
It is a lovely looking kit (mine is here, awaiting assembly: http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/salute-2018-rubicon-models-part-one.html.

The only ones I have seen have been in films and television programmes, so I suspect they would not have been insured for a repaint. The last one was in an episode of the Belgian series"Salamander" (series one on iPlayer).

I am going for black with official plates.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 04:24:02 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 08:37:58 am »
This is a civilian Mercedes car kit in military service . I would think if your hauling Brass around a war / partizan area you'ld have a camoed car , probably be shiny black in Paris or Berlin where the Brass want to be wined and dined  and  be noticed . You don't pick up too many girls in a car covered in mud and tree branches no matter how snazzy your Panzer black uniform

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 10:53:30 am »
From the pictures I've seen, most seem to be in whatever colour they came in (given that most of the pics were b&w - they look to be dark colours). This is somewhat different to the models you see, with many co-opted by the Germans given a camo scheme. I've not found many painted this way, but here's one used as a staff car by General Kassin at Arnhem (where it was shot up - I don't recall if he was killed, but his driver certainly was & I've cropped the body from the pic as it is a touch grisly).

Kussin was killed as well, and was photographed lying on the other side of the car.  It's an equally grisly photo.

To me, these photos emphasise the fact that the model is a solid lump of resin.  The lack of windows and an interior is very obvious in this scale.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 04:27:04 pm »
To me, these photos emphasise the fact that the model is a solid lump of resin.  The lack of windows and an interior is very obvious in this scale.
True, but it is possible that Rubicon will put the improved resin methods of the Waffentrager kit to good use and do cars that offer interiors.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 08:04:31 pm »
And don't forget , they are just casting the car . They didn't design it  they just bought the molds . I believe ,it was a Neufield  kit like the French tanks  . We'll have to wait and see what they come up with from their own design team

Captain Blood

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 04:09:47 am »

I suppose if I were an avid AFV modeller producing pieces for displays or dioramas this would be a concern. Luckily I'm just a wargamer - albeit with quite high modelling and painting standards  ;D

Interestingly it's far from a solid lump of resin. If you picked it up you would think it was plastic - it's that lightweight. But yes, it does have blanks where the windows should be. It will be an interesting painting challenge - as mine will be for the middle east, I think the windows will be portrayed in the aftermath of a sandstorm... Although the fact that the wiper blades are moulded in an active position is going to make that tricky...  ::)

I've recently built the Rubicon CMP truck kit - which has no windows at all - just empty space: which someone picked up on, on another forum. Solid windows or no windows... Not sure which is the worse sin? As I say, I'm not bothered by it either way. From tabletop viewing distance in a wargame they look the part and are a great deal nicer than the alternatives out there.

Meanwhile, I've seen various images of the vehicle in olive green when used as a military staff car, so that's what I'll go for - along with some very unhistorical use of decals  :)
Apparently around 800 - 900 were in French military service by May 1940. I'm sure a few of these must have made their way to Syria and ended up used by Vichy...

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 04:55:53 am »
Any way of using a pin vise and drilling out the windows and the adding " glass " ?

Captain Blood

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 05:47:26 am »
I’m sure it could be done, but it would be a major operation, and then of course - well there’s no interior...  :)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 08:12:07 am »
Interiors the easy part , Most Rubicon Halftracks / trucks have extra steering wheels . The Halftrack add on kit ( Stummel ) have single seats , All you need is a rear bench seat , interiors sorted  :)  Easier said than done I Know

lou passejaire

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 06:48:43 pm »
about the French Army Traction paint scheme
those cars were mostly requisitioned ones, re-painted in units by the units "artists" ...
The basic painting was always the French 'vert olive" ... with  stripes, in 1 or 2 tones ( brown and ocher )

but you can go for a civilian one as a late requisition

Captain Blood

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 07:29:46 pm »
Aha, merci beaucoup Lou. Tres bon. :)

lou passejaire

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 11:50:27 pm »
can work too in olive green  :)

this is the original Neucraft model, with custom decals ...  :)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 02:48:42 am »
Nice.