Author Topic: Where to Buy Rubicon Kits in Canada?  (Read 4136 times)

wmyers

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Where to Buy Rubicon Kits in Canada?
« on: May 06, 2020, 01:34:23 am »
Where can one buy Rubicon kits in Canada?

I can understand why the company may think a supplier in North America is a good idea, but postal costs from the USA to Canada are the same as from the USA to Timbuktu!  (Flat rate international).

It is far cheaper to pay postage from Great Britain but I have started to note a lot of firms that used to sell Rubicon kits I normally order from don’t have many or have been deleting the line!

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Where to Buy Rubicon Kits in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 03:40:59 am »
I get most of mine from Compusoft -Game Store here in Red Deer AB . They have a pretty good selection and can order if not in stock . The game shops in Calgary and Edmonton tend to just carry the Warlord brand with the odd straight hobby shop ( no games ) caring the Italeri boxed versions of Warlord .I find the importer to Canada is about 6 month behind on new releases ,so just last week 3 of us ordered direct from Rubicon USA  , I really wanted a couple of the new  M3 Scout Cars , a BA-10 and various resin goodies

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 10:15:37 am »
@wmyers - welcome to the forum. I read your intro about how Airfix figures helped yon on the path of modeling and gaming. This is what happened to me too, but a couple of those Airfix wargaming guides from the 70's turned the path into a highway.

Quote from: wmyers
Where can one buy Rubicon kits in Canada?

I can understand why the company may think a supplier in North America is a good idea, but postal costs from the USA to Canada are the same as from the USA to Timbuktu!  (Flat rate international).

Try living in Thailand  ;D

Quote from: wmyers
It is far cheaper to pay postage from Great Britain but I have started to note a lot of firms that used to sell Rubicon kits I normally order from don’t have many or have been deleting the line!

I can relate to that. There was one shop I could get Rubicon Models kits, but then one day I was informed that they changed distributors and Rubicon Models are no longer available. I liked keeping my business local to support the store, but now I am forced to look elsewhere (and pay the very high shipping costs), which I have not done yet.

I have a gaming friend in the US that would travel to Thailand once a year, and he brings me several Rubicon Models kits. However, because of covid-19, and his recent promotion, he informed me that for the next three to five years, no trips to Thailand.

wmyers, getting Rubicon Models kits should be a bit easier for you. I know Canada is big, and you and ripley might live far apart, but he offers good advice. Also, maybe the shipping cost from Compusoft (store in Red Deer) to you will not be so high.

wmyers

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 08:36:34 am »
Thanks guys!

I am in Saskatoon.  I am sure there was a Compusoft here at one time.  Back in the 90’s when there were still computer stores (and video stores). 

I’ll check them out and see.  I’m not sure if the local hobby shops can get the Rubicon kits or not. The local game stores carry no historical stuff (outside of Flames of War and they’re selling that off at 60% off as no one seems to play anymore after 4th edition rules came out - personally I don’t understand, why not just use different rules or 3rd?).

I’ve found some sellers from the UK that have very reasonable shipping on eBay.   

That might be a good option to Thailand. 

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 09:46:39 am »
I think our Compu Soft is sort of unique , IRC non of the others have games and hobbies . I've ordered stuff from NWS Wargaming ( Florida ) and also the Rubicon US store  . The exchange rate can be a bitch and sometimes postage sucks, which seems to be the way things go these days unless you buy a large amount ( $100 US or more ) , but good service all round . Look up Red Deer's Compu Soft on line and see what they have .

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 09:22:37 am »
I have looked into ebay as an option, but I have noticed that most UK and US - the predominate sellers of RM kits on ebay - do not ship overseas, and the few that do want to charge an arm and a leg for shipping (insured/tracking package and all that). That makes sense really, but it just feels really strange to me when the cost for shipping is more than the model kit.

Sorry, I have to add to your Flames of War comment. I completely agree with you. I mean, they are WW2 historical miniatures. As such, pretty much not bound to any rule set. I have a collection of Flames of War miniatures, but I don't use them to play Flames of War. To make a long story short, a friend of mine, who I played Flames of War with, decided one day to try this game called Blitzkrieg Commander (2nd edition). We never looked back at the Flames of War rules again. To date, I have used my Flames of War miniatures collection to play many games. Just not for Flames of War very much if at all.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 03:22:38 pm »
I’d send abroad for you tracks, but it’s a fortune. Not worth you doing it.

Plus if they go missing I’d lose out on kits and postage, and to insure is even more!
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament