Author Topic: Anyone in the UK got a spare MG34  (Read 3063 times)

nheather

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Anyone in the UK got a spare MG34
« on: April 25, 2020, 11:59:21 pm »
Making an early war Sdkfz 251/1.  As it was really nice sunny weather, nice and calm, decided to sit outside and put it together.

A unexpected gust of wind caught the two MG34s that I had just removed from the sprue and deposited them on the patio.  I found one, missing the other.

Two immediate options are

1) build with just the front MG34.
2) Use an MG34 from a bolt action sprue, have some spare but they look a little chunk against the lovely Rubicon ones.

Would really have liked to build it with both - so if anyone has one going spare (like they used the MG42s) I appreciate one.

Note: doesn't have to be from a 251/1 kit, any MG34 will do.

QUESTION: Does the 251/1 gunner kit come with an MG34 and MG42?

Many thanks,

Nigel
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 02:38:13 am by nheather »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone in the UK got a spare MG34
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 11:21:35 am »
Quote from: nheather
1) build with just the front MG34.
2) Use an MG34 from a bolt action sprue, have some spare but they look a little chunk against the lovely Rubicon ones.

Would really have liked to build it with both - so if anyone has one going spare (like they used the MG42s) I appreciate one.

Note: doesn't have to be from a 251/1 kit, any MG34 will do.

I usually build my German halftracks with one MG, so you would not be alone  ;)
If worse comes to worse, and if you are willing to pay the high postage costs (from Thailand), I can get you one Rubicon Models MG34. However, if this model will be used for gaming, look at replacing the MG34. I replaced my Rubicon Models MG34 part with a more wargaming friendly plastic MG34. If you have them, you can even use one of the spare MG34s from one of the plastic German Infantry box sets. Perry Miniatures MG34s work great.

It's a shame that Rubicon Models did not included modeller and wargamer friendly MG parts with all their kits and not just a few. Especially since these kits are more for gaming than static displays.

Quote from: nheather
QUESTION: Does the 251/1 gunner kit come with an MG34 and MG42?

I cannot really remember, but I do not think so.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 11:42:58 am »
The blister pack guy comes with both the 34 & 42 , he's the same gunner figure you get in the 250 half track kit . Although the 251 mounted 2 mgs , the rear one was used by the Grenadiers went they went into action , leaving only the front gun for the 2 man crew . So if you have dismounted troops with your 251 , they could have one of the guns . I have a couple of mg 34s if you want them  , but it might take a week or two by post as I'm in Canada

nheather

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 02:21:10 pm »
Many thanks for the suggestions and kind offers.  I think posting from outside the UK is unrealistic because the postage would probably be more than just buying the machine gunner kit.

Point taken about being wargame-friendly.  Yes it will be used for wargaming either as a infantry mover or a PAK 36 tow depending on scenario.  Go I do wonder the survivability of the fine detail - I have some plastic bolt-action german infantry including more MG34s than I need for the squads.  Considering replacing the Rubicon ones with those, or just one because as you say, I am leaning towards just having the front one modelled.

Out of interest, in real life, did the rear one actually come with the vehicle or was it same one used by the dismounted infantry squad?

Cheers,

Nigel

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 09:25:37 pm »
It was used by the dismounted Infantry . With only a 2 man crew in the 251 , hard to use guns at both ends of the vehicle  when one guys driving . There are pictures ( which I will try to find ) of the rear gun with bi pod , sort of strapped to the rear mount and the front gun hard mounted in a frame to the forward shield mount , with out a bi pod . Of course , just like in the Panzers , a bi pod was carried so that if you had to bail out of the vehicle, taking the gun with you , you could use it .

nheather

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 04:38:29 pm »
Rubicon sent me this.  May be of interest of others.

As you can see, the kit comes with MG34 and MG42 moulded into the arm which would replace the one on the model.

Cheers,

Nigel