Author Topic: Detail pieces  (Read 3841 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Detail pieces
« on: January 26, 2020, 06:25:46 pm »
I was looking for something else and found these turnbuckles amongst the Grandt Line products.
https://www.grandtline.com/products/miscellaneous-hardware/

They might be useful for KV tank tow cables (I will stick with those etched ones I bought last year - or maybe the year before that....).

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Detail pieces
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 10:40:55 pm »
Lots of cool , useful stuff in the model RR line of parts that's for sure   . The problem I have , is that very few hobby shops  carry them anymore ( cue the old guy rant ) , unlike 20 years ago when there were walls of awesome plastic / brass / white metal bits , and I can never judge the size from catalogue pictures / write up ,and always end up with stuff too big or too small, even with a copy of the Walthers model RR bible to flip through  . If you ever do find a bricks & mortar store that stocks that stuff , keep giving them your money ….
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:46:28 pm by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 02:13:59 am »
Same here, model railway shows are a good bet though.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 03:41:23 am »
Very true . But , they tend to be far and few these days as not to many folks are getting into model trains , really model any thing , not to many kids picking up the hobby at least in my area . Of course the days of $2 Airfix kits are long gone , I can see it being a set back to trying out the hobby when kits set you back a fair chunk of cash  if you don't get bitten by the bug . God I feel old , lol

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 10:52:19 am »
Quote from: ripley
...they tend to be far and few these days as not to many folks are getting into model trains , really model any thing...

In my area, the plastic model shows/events/contests are still held pretty regularly, but the thing we have noticed over the years is that the age group is getting higher and higher. Yes, you do see some youth entering their models into the display area and buying new model kits, but the numbers of youth attending the events are getting fewer and fewer every year. There are many reasons for this, but that is a long conversation for another time.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 03:53:53 pm »
@Track: the ageing demographic for all modelling hobbies has been exercising the fora and magazines of those hobbies for a while.