Author Topic: Focusing on the more useful kits – wake up and smell the molded plastic!  (Read 29509 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
For me, just a bit of venting here because sometimes gamers (and at times model companies) can’t see the bigger picture - even when it’s obvious, and this astonishes me at times. Not to point fingers, but there is this unhappy gamer, and he is angry because no one has released a plastic kit of the T-35 in 1:56 scale. Would a 1:56 scale plastic kit of the T-35 be neat? Yes, certainly, but there are so many other more important and useful plastic kits that gamers would like to see long before hoping for a T-35 Soviet Heavy Tank!

These days we should count ourselves fortunate when it comes to 28mm (1:56) scale plastic gaming miniatures/models. Not so long ago – just a few short years really – the only vehicles available for gaming at this scale were either metal or resin with metal bits. More importantly, most of these were a joke (visually ugly and disproportioned), but we didn’t have much of a choice at that time. Yes, some of the newer resin stuff is looking better, but compared to a good plastic model kit (and sometimes even a mediocre one as well) they are still inferior in several ways.

That being said, there are still a few common items that gamers would really like to see released in plastic. What I mean by “common items” are things that would see a lot of use on the typical gaming table for games like Bolt Action, Chain of Command, Battleground WW2, Operation Squad, and several other skirmish level games, and players use 28mm (1:56) scale miniatures/models. Before I want to see a T-35 or even an M26 Pershing, I would very much like to see – and I hope I’m not alone here - the following 1:56 (28mm) scale plastic kits:

= List updated April, 2019 =
= List updated October, 2020 =
= List updated November, 2021 =
= List updated January, 2022 =
= List updated October, 2022 = probably last time

American vehicles and equipment in plastic:
Plastic AT-Guns  - these would be popular. – a 37mm is available and a 75mm is coming soon!
M3 Medium (Lee) – best if it can be a Lee & Grant kit - coming soon?!

British vehicles and equipment in plastic:
Plastic AT-Guns  - these would be popular – a 25pdr/17pdr kit is available
M3 Medium (Grant) – best if it can be a Lee & Grant kit - coming soon?!
British Armored Car – one of the most common types.
Note: a Humber Mk II/IV is already available.**
British Truck – RM is releasing a Bedford Truck – available
Valentine Tank – for those that need them. – available Valentine - II/III/IV/V/IIICS/IX/X/XI
** Sadly, this is not a Rubicon Models kit, but still a very good plastic model kit from Warlord Games.

French vehicles and equipment in plastic:
Plastic AT-Guns
Renault R35/39/40 or Hotchkiss H35/38/39 – more Renaults were built.
AMD Panhard armored car.
French Truck  - one of the most common types.

German vehicles and equipment in plastic:
SdKfz 10 half-trackavailable and a SdKfx 10/4.
Note: before the SdKfz 10, Rubicon Models also released a Krupp Protze. Product Code: 280082
SdKfz 231 8-Rad armored car.
Note: There is a very nice SdKfz 222 kit kit from Rubicon Models. Product Code: 280062
Panzer II Ausf A/B/C/Favailable
Panzer III (early to late) – available
StuG III Ausf A-E – not as numerous as mid to late war versions, but useful for those early war scenarios.
Note: Rubicon Models has already released a very nice kit of the StuG III Ausf G. Product Code: 280017

Soviet vehicles and equipment in plastic:
Plastic AT-Guns  - these would be popular.
BA-64 – one of the most produced Soviet armored cars.
Note: There are very nice kits of the BA-3/BA-6 and Ba-10 from Rubicon Models.
BT-5/7 - coming soon!
T-60/70
SU-76

Italian vehicles and equipment in plastic:
Several things since there isn’t much available.
Carro Armato M13/40 & Semovente Commando M40  – available
Semovente da 75/18 SPG  – available
Very nice plastic model kits.

Japanese vehicles and equipment in plastic:
Several things since there isn’t much available.

Now, there are going to be those (because there always is) that will say, “I really want to see the M7 Priest in plastic.” Or maybe a T-35 Heavy Tank, a Brummbar, a Ferdinand, an ISU-152, an M26 Pershing (available), a 152mm ML20 how, a Borgward, a 155mm Long Tom, an M12 GMC, a Char C2, a Sturmtiger, a Sexton, a Staghound, a GPA 'Seep', a DUKW, and so on, but to be blunt and hopefully obvious about it all, I think the items listed above would be far more useful to the average or typical gamer that collects and uses 28mm (1:56) scale miniatures to play such games like Bolt Action, Chain of Command, Battleground WW2, or Operation Squad. Something like a 155mm heavy howitzer for example would be unlikely to see much use (if ever) in your typical skirmish level game. So instead of a 155mm heavy howitzer or a Brummbar, wouldn’t it be so much useful and better to have that M3 Medium Lee/Grant (coming soon?) or that SdKfz 10 half-track (available) that we all have been waiting for?

After the model companies have already released all the more common and useful kits, than maybe exploring the need for something like a T-35 or M7 Priest can be explored.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 08:58:54 am by Tracks »

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
Sympathetic to your point of view Tracks. As my wargaming interests are varied I can't envisage building many WWII armies. I currently desire vehicles that are compatible with the Polish campaign and the German/Russian armies of the period. Bit of a niche perhaps but there are too many things to do and no time to do them all. It must be very difficult to please everyone as we all have different projects in mind.

I agree entirely long range weapons such as the 155mm howitzer shouldn't have any place in a skirmish game unless it's an objective marker or perhaps part of an ambushed convoy in some scenario. Any rules that think these weapons make sense in a skirmish game has missed the mark in my view. On that basis I wouldn't prioritise them if I had any say in it. I wouldn't be interested in fantasy or one of vehicles either.

No doubt Rubicon will make heaps of money producing big guns and 'orrible imaginary things because they understand their customers better than I do!   

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
I understand where you are coming from (who would want an M7 Priest, a Sexton would be so much better ^___^).

I also sympathise with Tyroflyer, I would like cruisers and lorries suitable for BEF and early North Africa.

British guns should include the 25 pounder, it is iconic and used as AT.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
I agree with you as well, Tracks . As much as I want that cool limited production vehicle/ tank ( Maus , Tortoise ) ,the reality is with only 3 companies making plastic 1/56 kits while trying to balance game piece / model kit , we are going to get your bog standard , produced in their hundreds or thousands , truck , AC or tank , which in some cases , has its own cool facture (numerous  T-26  types  for example) . Maybe, if like in 1/35 scale  we had 30 odd companies making kits we would  get the weird and wonderfully obscure .

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Tracks, back when Rubicon started writing about the upcoming M4A1 Sherman tank kit , they did mention the early suspension for the M4A1 would be used as a platform for other vehicles kits using the same suspension. They did mention a M7 Priest and a M3 Lee as future projects.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
I think, and Tracks can correct me if I am wrong, that his (Tracks) point is there are some key vehicles (and guns)  that are not currently being produced in plastic by any manufacturer. He thinks that Rubicon (encouraged by forum members, and I include myself) is getting distracted from producing these items and producing flights of wish fulfilment and not bread and butter items that will sell well to wargamers who want a platoon of common tanks, lorries to carry a platoon of infantry and an AT gun or two.

I understand this position (and am guilty of flights of fancy over my wish lists).

The following are my own thoughts and not based on actual information from Rubicon.

I suspect that some of the (slightly esoteric) projects we do see are "apprentice" pieces (in the old meaning), where a project is given to a new team to prove their capability. This covers some of the "odder" items and  includess fencing etc.

The confusion over the QL series lorry might be that the initial design process by a team assumed that the troop variant and the cargo variant were only cosmetically different (this might be due to available information - for many years the vehicles aboard the SS Thistlegorm were authoritively described as being certain models. Lots of books have been published on the subject. A recent in-depth analysis has shown that the models are not as previously described).

If the cargo version was more advanced, we might get to see the work in progress. Rubicon has invested time in it, so it might not sell as well as the troop carrier, but does provide a return while the troop carrier is completed.

The other thing is the competition. The Loyd carrier is the most recent example. I was hoping to  pick up three at Salute, but it was not quite available. It was noticeable that someone else has released a Loyd carrier this month.

Rubicon released renders of their future Italan tanks, and someone else "rushed" their plastic versions.

As the "fully fledged" projects that have been shown to us without preamble, Rubicon do not  always show what they are working on. We have no idea if they curremtly have any of the listed models under development. We also do not know if any projects assigned to a team have not met their requirements.

As the M4A1 project has shown, this is complicated develppment.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 06:59:25 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Venting is good for your health, please do it outdoor though ;)!

Back to the subject, you must all realise we have 70 kits just under the "WW2 Plastic Kits" category (not counting pewter or resin items) in 55 months since our first release back in late Oct 2014.  That's an average of 1.27 kits per month for the last 4.5 year!  We are not aware there are many companies in this hobby who are willing to keep this up at this pace.

There is a large amount of work needed to kickstart and then work on each project:

1. Research on the subject, reference material on variants, blueprints & measurement, and related model kits in various scales (if any).
2. Then came the painstaking process of drawing the 3D model from scratch.
3. Compare with historical photos and blueprints from various sources with our 3D model, making changes if necessary.
4. Look at different variants and "think" of a way to combine all of them into a single design.
5. Print 3D prototype to help visualise assembly and the final product.
6. Make changes again to ease assembly and simplify parts or overall design.
7. Try to fit all the parts onto the proposed number of sprues for the project until all parts can fit.
8. Otherwise, back to the drawing board to make more concessions.
9. Once approved, the factory will start doing parts layout based on our requirement.
10. If approved, mould making will commence.
11. Wait for the first test-shot (TS1).
12. Once done, get sample sprues, compare with drawings and test assemble the parts.
13. Make changes if need until everything is perfect.
14. Sign off the moulds and proceed to the first commercial run.
15. In the meantime, the studio will start doing assembly instruction diagrams and decal sheet.
16. Cover art, graphics and text material are needed to complete the box design.
17. Once all after-production material is ready and approved, they will be sent to the factory for printing.
18. Samples of these materials will be sent back to the studio for approval before final printing.
19. Set a date for the production run where everything will be sent to the packaging line to produce the final product.
20. Arrange the finished product to be shipped to our warehouse, and then arrange freight to ship everything to our overseas partners.

From R&D to the final product usually will take 10 to 11 months IF there are no hiccups; that is, unexpected events like another urgent project, holidays, or problems with mould-making.

About TOPICS

This is a hard one.  What subject to choose for a project?  We have a list of subjects on our production list and each one is sorted by priority based on many factors, BUT “game system” is not one of them.  Completion schedule is different for each project. We select new projects when there are projects closed to completion.  We look at each new project based on completion time, complexity, and budget.

Some projects are so difficult to do, we have to put them towards the end of the list or until we have the experience to tackle them… some early war vehicles are good examples.  It is not just about the rivets, but the size of the vehicle as well.  The smaller the vehicle the more difficult it is to make it into a sturdy gaming piece, but yet be able to show all the details in a proportionate manner.

Let’s take a look at our M4 Sherman Digital Library project – this is our first large scale project that had spanned over two years to get FIVE M4 Sherman variants out to the market, but we got stuck with the M4A1, the last of the variants that we planned.  We can release it with ease by using old components from our previous M4 variants with new parts that are only available for the M4A1.  But we scratched the whole design by redoing the M4A1 from the ground up… yet it had to maintain compatibility with our other M4 kits.

Besides the M4 turrets, the new M4A1 has a new upper and lower chassis, a new roadwheel & track system, and new transmission housing.  All these parts are designed to be M3 Lee/Grant and M7 Priest compatible IF these latter projects are to commence in the near future.

These issues and the experience gained enable us to create a much well organized Panzer IV project, which only took us less than 2 years to complete.  The experience we gained from both projects enables us to complete our Panzer III project in record-breaking time… the first TS1 sprues are expected towards the end of April.  The T-26 project is also a breakthrough in design and production by using different technologies through trial and error.

About WHAT YOU WANT

We cannot promise what we will do next until we post them on FB or here at the forum.  At times, we had to stop projects at the R&D phase because of design issues, or we know they are well over budget, or simply someone is already doing it.  But I think you all agree we do listen to all requests – like the M3A1 scout car and the Chevy 30cwt truck.

We simply do not want to disappoint you if we promise you to do one particular vehicle and not doing it.  There are some new projects that we really wanted to start this year:
1. Some Allies AT guns (not too many, but at least a start)
2. One Allies armour car (probably, will depend on schedule)
3. M3 Lee/Grant
4. One or two Panzer IV variants

Projects that we will NOT do this year:
1. French vehicles
2. Japanese vehicles

About FUTURE PLANS

We will definitely NOT limit ourselves to just WW2… period!

;)

Jaeger

• Private
    • View Profile
I liked that.
I see that projects on vehicles that appear in post WWII conflicts to be beneficial for the future.  And of course work on vehicles used by multiple armies.

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
Will be interested to see what the Panzer IV variants you (Rubicon) have in mind. Disappointed to read early war vehicles are difficult to do.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Disappointed to read early war vehicles are difficult to do.

It is not possible, just take more time to explore and work with. We will still tackle them one at a time!

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
There is a large amount of work needed to kickstart and then work on each project:

1. Research on the subject, reference material on variants, blueprints & measurement, and related model kits in various scales (if any).
2. Then came the painstaking process of drawing the 3D model from scratch.
3. Compare with historical photos and blueprints from various sources with our 3D model, making changes if necessary.
18. Samples of these materials will be sent back to the studio for approval before final printing.
19. Set a date for the production run where everything will be sent to the packaging line to produce the final product.
20. Arrange the finished product to be shipped to our warehouse, and then arrange freight to ship everything to our overseas partners.

From R&D to the final product usually will take 10 to 11 months IF there are no hiccups; that is, unexpected events like another urgent project, holidays, or problems with mould-making.

With only two or three compaines making 1:56 scale plastic kits, after reading this someone might wonder why don't these two to three companies want to work together instead of against each other? Because it seems like a waste of resources when we get almost the same plastic kit from two or three different companies.
A are a few examples:
8.8cm Flak Gun (RM & Italeri) - both more than good enough for the gaming table. (1)
Jadgpanzer 38(t) (RM & Italeri) - both more than good enough for the gaming table. (2)
Panther Tank (RM & Italeri) - both more than good enough for the gaming table.
M8/M20 Armored Car - both more than good enough for the gaming table.
Tiger I (RM & Italeri) - both more than good enough for the gaming table. (3)
Stug III (RM & Italeri) - both more than good enough for the gaming table. (4)
M10 TD (RM & Italeri) - both more than good enough for the gaming table. (5)
M3 Halfrack (RM & Warlord*) - both more than good enough for the gaming table.
SdKfz 251 Halfrack (RM & Warlord*) - both more than good enough for the gaming table.
Opel Blitz/Maultier (RM & Warlord*) - both more than good enough for the gaming table. (6)
* There is another company that makes plastic kits for Warlord Games, but I'm not 100% sure who it is. Plastic Soldier Company?

(1) The RM kit gives you wheels.
(2) The Italeri kit gives you the option to make a Flakpanzer 38(t), but somewhat a waste since only two were made. However the 3.7cm Flak gun and be modified to make a stand alone piece. Overall though, I think the RM kit is the better choice of the two kits.
(3) For interest, I have used the tracks from the Italeri kit on the RM kit. They fit just fine.
(4) I do not own the RM kit (yet), but I assembled one for a friend, and its a nice kit.
(5) The RM kit gives you the option to make the M36, or use the turret to make the M36B1 with the M4A3 kit.
(6) Here the Warlord kit as an advantage because it can be built as either model whereas the RM are two separate kits.

These are only a few examples, and there are a few more. More importantly, we will see more. One example is going to be the King Tiger. Another example is going to be the Panzer III, but the good news is that RM plans to release versions not currently available in plastic.

So, what is the point of all this? Well, my point is simply this. If these companies positively communicated with each other and constructively worked together, it is very possible that we would have a few more different plastic kits that we do not currently have at this time. This would have been especially good if some of these kits could have been the more common items like a SdKfz 10, a Japanese Truck, or a BT-5/7. And yes, I am very aware that this is so much easier to say than to do. Competition and rivalry can be a good and a bad thing.

There is no "I" in TEAM.  :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:03:00 pm by Tracks »

Captain Blood

• Private
    • View Profile
So, what is the point of all this? Well, my point is simply this. If these companies positively communicated with each other and constructively worked together, it is very possible that we would have a few more different plastic kits that we do not currently have at this time.
There is no "I" in TEAM.  :)

But this is not how business works  :o
The essence of business, indeed the whole capitalist system, is competition. You might as well ask why do MacDonalds and Burger King both make hamburgers? Because each thinks their hamburgers are better, and they can sell more of them than their rivals. Business is not a team game. To suggest that companies in the same market should carve up the opportunities between them ('Okay, we'll only make widget A and you only make widget B, and the we'll both have a monopoly over our respective ranges of widgets') is 'anti-competitive' and denying consumers a choice. What you're suggesting is actually illegal in most countries  :-[

I totally get where you're coming from, of course. It's a question I have asked myself many times down the years... 'Do we REALLY need yet another range of Vikings, or Romans, or Napoleonic French, or WW2 Germans, when there are already dozens of ranges out there from wargames manufacturers? What on earth are they thinking, introducing yet another lookalike range into an already saturated market?'
The answer of course, is that they think THEIR range of Vikings or Waffen SS or 95th Rifles, is going to be better than everyone else's existing range, and they will be able to make money from producing it. That's it. Simple.
It's irritating, but it's the essence of the capitalist system most of us live in, it isn't going to change (well, unless there's a revolution ;)) and it feels a tad naïve to expect otherwise.

Businesses, even 'hobby businesses' driven by passion as well as profit, will always make things they think they can make well and that will sell. And if someone else is already making the same thing - tough. That's business. We'll try to make ours better and sell more of them.

Jimmy_P

• Private
    • View Profile

There's a need to recognise that these are companies trying to make money and are inherently in competition with each other. But that shouldn't distract from the central point about the bigger picture of what should get made in plastic. For a company to make a kit, it has to be expected to sell enough to return a profit obviously, but sometimes that doesn't mean what people shout the loudest for. Sure a plastic T-35 would be cool, but really how many people would actually buy one?

Whereas the SdKfz 10 (I know, I know)... there might not appear to be the demand for it but its a kit which almost every German player will want to have (multiples of, if you ask me!) - even if they might not currently know that yet, they will once they have the option. It should be a staple kit and I find it mind-boggling that none of the main producers make one (not even in resin). Sometimes making it will make the demand appear - it's the tow of choice for almost all the AT and flak guns Rubicon now make, let along the AA variants, etc.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Look at a larger market , 1/35 scale . IRC , last year was the year of the Panther , with about 12 versions ( tank , Berge , Jpanther ) half with full interiors from a slew of companies , the year before it was Tigers . And almost every new company that pops up seems to put out a Tiger as their 1st kit . This year might just end up the year of the Sherman as a bunch of new kits are coming out , some versions which have never been released in 1/35 before . And then you get the weird stuff like Bronco releasing a Ram II . Funny thing is , some of the kits we have , the Rubicon  M8 GMC , for example , are pretty much state of the art , while the 1/35 crowd contends with the late 70s Tamiya kit ( its got problems , in fact almost all Stuart based 1/35 kits by all companies suck   ) and the AVF Company proposed version , from the early 2000s in postponed again . Yes , we do want more , but lets also be thankful for what we've got . I wouldn't have time ( or space ) to build and store all the kits I want
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 07:34:32 am by ripley »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Quote from: ripley
Look at a larger market , 1/35 scale .

The scale of a plastic model is an important aspect to consider. The 1/35 scale is primary a model scale for hobbyists. There might be wargamers out there that use this scale for gaming, but I do not know of any. The primary scales for plastic model kits I see most miniature gamers use for WW2 gaming are 1/100, 1/72, and 1/56. The latter is of course a unique and relatively new scale to the miniature gaming world.

Model companies also need to think about and factor into account who might their main customers be.

Modellers (Not Miniatures Gamers):
Most of these people going out and buying plastic military vehicle kits are model hobbyist that build these kits for the enjoyment, for model shows, for model contests, and for model clubs/groups. They don't mind (and sometimes welcome) the unique kits that are released, and not just your common every day stuff like Shermans or Panzer IVs.

Miniature Gamers (Not Modellers):
Most of these people going out and buying plastic military vehicle kits are gamers that build these kits for enjoyment, but more importantly, for their gaming needs. They prefer the more common types of tanks they can use, but also want trucks, half-tracks, AT-Guns, and other useful items and/or vehicles. That being said, there will be some that also want something less common like a T35 heavy tank, but they will prefer the more common and useful kits first.

Yes, there are people who are hobbyist modellers as well as miniautre gamers, but I put them into the Miniature Gamers category.