Author Topic: King Tiger - Assembly Video 201106  (Read 67634 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: King Tiger - Final Project Details Released 190617
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2019, 11:37:40 am »
Thanks for the concerns.  We have no intention to compete with any current kits on the market.  We are very focused to expand our range with quality kits and to look after BOTH the tabletop gaming and military modelling market.  Price-wise, we are quite sure the retail price will not be over the roof that nobody could afford.

;)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2019, 06:25:47 pm »
Quote from: EarlyWarGamer
My only concern would be the cost of such a detailed kit. I am a gamer, not a model builder. I have no need for any of the interior components. Being able to have a hatch open so I can place a commander is all I would need. If the cost of the kit increases substantially because of all the extra sprues, it just means that when I eventually get around to becoming a late war gamer, I would go for someone else's cheaper kit.
Quote from: Rubicon Models
We are very focused to expand our range with quality kits and to look after BOTH the tabletop gaming and military modelling market.

I can very much relate to and agree with what EWG, Ballardian, and UVsmurf said.

The logistic problems would probably a nightmare, but I'm just going to toss out this suggestion out there anyway: Why not offer two versions of the kits? One with interior details and one without interior details. The latter kit would most likely be less expensive, and so would be more appealing to the typical gamer.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2019, 10:49:55 am »
I guess a 'special' kit like this was always going to be a German subject.  It would have been great if it had been a bit more left-field, like a Centurion.  That said, it's a very solid choice of subject, and the Tiger II's interior is perhaps more impressive in its own right than some other vehicles (those racks of massive shells look very cool).  I can just see Ripley building it as a wreck...

Offering 2 versions is a pretty good idea.  Or selling the interior as an add-on.

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2019, 02:53:19 am »
I may have to agree.
While some basic internal turret detail would be nice (a simple gun breach. Molded ammo storage. Chunky seats for crew) even from a wargamers perspective (opening up the back of the turret would look cool) a full interior detail is quite wasted in that regard.
A separate detail kit or separate king tiger kit would be better.

It could even turn into a new series of add ons for kits.

Just keep it simple.
Porsche king kit.
Henschel king kit.
Interior detail add on kit with 1-2 sprues for the hull.
1 sprue for Porsche turret.
1 sprue for Henschel turret.

Plus then instead you can add extra stowage onto the space saved which would probably be appreciated ALLOT more for the gamer market.

As another thought. While I get Rubicon wants to appeal to gamers and modellers I think it's worth remembering how wary modellers are of the scale.
I've noticed when sharing on Facebook modellers are puzzled and while comfortable with 72nd and 48th they seem scared of 56th scale stuff and when sharing the interior king tiger I noticed allot of likes.
But the comments weren't as enthusiastic.
They seemed reluctant and confused

I think before diving into a full interior kit Rubicon needs to just get themselves known a little more to modellers.
I've seen Rubicon in allot of gaming mags and gaming channels on YouTube.

But only seen them once in a modellers mag and not on any modelling channels.
It may be worth reaching out to people like Plasmo and Andys Hobby Headquarters.
Those are 2 big model channels I know who do tanks (hanger 48 I think is just planes)
Why not get in touch if you've not already.
Send them a latest Sherman kit and the Panzer F/F2/G/H kit and just ask them to do a review.
Get the modellers interested and don't just assume they will be.

Not trying to be mean or patronising. Just typing out my raw thinking
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:44:46 am by jamesvalentine »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2019, 11:43:08 am »
Thanks for all the input.  We are still working on the prototyping, but we already had initial plans for the sprue layout and product packaging.  After so many product releases, we know very well how to make our kits to please different audience.  We are not afraid to throw in an interior kit at a "standard" retail price range for tabletop gamers.  It is still too early to make the final marketing decisions, not until we have all the approvals signed for mould making.

;)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2019, 09:54:26 am »
Building it as a wreck did occur  to me Pinky . But not to many catastrophic wreck pictures ( like this Panther ) found on the net , so far

Most Tiger II wrecks look like this ...

I did find this one , sliced open to use as a training aid post war . Think this one ended up in the USA ( Aberdeen in the 70s ? )

Could always repurpose some model RR bits for a overhead crane and do a maintenance diorama like this one with a Tiger I

Or , if I manage to win the lottery , go all out and build an assembly line diorama …..something like this

So many kits , so little  time ……. and money

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: King Tiger - More 3D Drawings 190621
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2019, 11:29:53 am »
People requesting more details of our King Tiger.  Here they are... More 3D drawings on individual components of the interior kit disclosed!

Enjoy!
;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:03:54 pm by Rubicon Models »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2019, 02:53:25 pm »
Good grief, that level of detail is stunning (one of the modellling magazines has a large scale Panzer IV project with similar level of detail).

Maybe you could get a tie-in to a Haynes Manual?

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2019, 03:15:27 am »

Most impressive 8) If you're really looking to impress the scale model crowd perhaps producing the turret and upper hull in transparent plastic would be the way to go (I believe one of the recent full interior 1/35 Panthers, the Rye Field one I think, was done this way). For those tempted to have it as a display model it's an obvious answer - the rest of us are going to paint it anyway...
 That said, I can certainly see myself painting the turret interior, turret basket, the area around the turret floor and the interior of the driver's/bowg's position for an open hatch version - even if you'll stuggle to see it.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2019, 04:37:27 pm »
Those internal details look great.  I hope they will be cast in relatively few pieces; I would be able to just drop the main parts into place and not fiddle around too much with little bits. 

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2019, 05:44:43 pm »
Those internal details look great.  I hope they will be cast in relatively few pieces; I would be able to just drop the main parts into place and not fiddle around too much with little bits. 

We know some people are concerned about our new King Tiger kit being too complicated to assemble with too many smaller parts.  Rest assured we understand your worries, this is why we spend time to create this single piece lower hull base-plate fitted with extra fine details to simplify assembly of the interior.  We care!

Enjoy!
;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2019, 07:08:19 pm »
Very cunning,

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2019, 09:29:55 pm »
That sliced & diced Tiger II that I posted a picture of is now residing at Fort Benning . Also , the hatch on the rear of the turret was for removing the gun  not really an  escape hatch , as ammo blocked it  . Although the racks did fold down , you would have to have used or moved a couple of dozen rounds ( and where would you put them ? ) before you could squeeze through , which might be problematic if the tank was on fire

( Trumpeter 1/16 Tiger II )
Also , just like the Tiger I turret hatch , it had no springs to assist in closing it from the inside . So if opened  , someone ( or probably 2 guys as it must weigh 100 - 150 pounds ) had to go outside to close it
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 09:34:01 pm by ripley »

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2019, 10:59:39 pm »

I do rather like Ripley's idea of producing one of the 16 ton field cranes (such as the Fries Strabokran), along with a Faun ZR or Hanomag SS100 heavy tractor - it could all form the basis of an excellent diorama, or scenery piece complementary to such a detailed kit as you're proposing in your Tiger II.

RFT

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2019, 04:03:29 am »
I like this. It’s good to see ambition and pushing things forward in the scale.
I don’t play Germans in the scale but for a good price I could see myself picking this up anyway.

How will the turret attach to the hull ina way that’s nicely scale and also suitable for gaming?

I would love this to succeed and see other kits in the same vein for the Sherman.