Author Topic: Katyusha Kit-Bash Idea & The New T-26 Light Tank  (Read 5184 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Katyusha Kit-Bash Idea & The New T-26 Light Tank
« on: November 18, 2018, 10:26:20 pm »
I got some new toys yesterday  :)

This new Rubicon order from my supplier arrived so much faster than normal that it was alarming and delightful at the same time.

T-26
Now obviously I haven't started assembly the new T-26 yet, but the new Rubicon Models T-26 kit looks really good. I am going to have to order more!

Kit-Bashing
But the main reason for placing the order was because I wanted another GAZ and BM-13 kit for a possible kit-bash idea I have. While I was reading "Katyusha: Russian Multiple Rocket Launchers 1941–Present" from Osprey Publishing, I wrote down some information from page 12 where it mentions that a few GAZ-AAA trucks were used to make Katyushas because of a shortage of ZIS-6 trucks. So, I'm going to explore the idea of putting the "Katyusha" on a GAZ-AAA truck. Don't worry. The BM-13 kit will not be wasted because the kit allows you to build a BM-13 "Katyusha" or a regular Studabaker US6 truck - you gotta' love Rubicon kits! - so I plan to build the Studabaker US6 and see if I can get the "Katyusha" bits to fit onto the GAZ-AAA truck.

Has anyone else tried this kit-bash idea yet? If so, do you have any build tips to share?

I'm still trying to find good detailed wartime photos of the GAZ-AAA with the multiple rocket launchers.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Katyusha Kit-Bash Idea & The New T-26 Light Tank
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 07:58:31 am »
The Russians seemed to use all sorts of trucks to mount the Katy rails on . From what I've read , the vehicle , no matter wether a ZIS , GAZ or Stude truck were all called a BM - 13 after the rocket package it carried  ( they had about a dozen versions of Katy rail and rocket combinations , some only had 2 rows of 4 rockets , some IRC  4 rows of 12.  And of course rockets from about 2 inches diameter up to 12 inches ) . Even the versions on the T-60 and T-70 tanks was called BM-13 , so it can get a little  confusing looking for a certain truck style .

This drawing is a ZIS truck , but the GAZ should look pretty much the same

I'm hoping to find a picture of  T-26 hull with the Katy rails on it when I get around to building my Katyusha . Its going to have to wait till I finish a few other kits first though. I know I have a list of the rocket sizes and rail set ups / base vehicle , some where in one of my books , just have to find it  ::)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:06:34 am by ripley »

petejones

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 11:07:05 pm »
The T-26 kit is very good! I built six in the past couple of days - one M1931, three M1933, one M1938, one khT-26 and one spare M1933 turret with the frame aerial. The only fiddly part was affixing the track sections to the hull, so I used super glue for this and it did the trick.

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 11:15:10 am »
I'm glad the T-26 goes together well. I plan on getting a good number of those kits (probably 6). For one kit, I have decided to kitbash my own 1936 model turret from the components provided, and a bit of plasticard. That way I can have a 31, 33, 36, 38 and 39, plus one flamer.

Jimmy_P

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 02:38:31 am »

Katyusha kitbash sounds interesting! Haven't tried it, but doesn't look like it would be good difficult to pull off.

Looking at the instructions, it seems the T-26 should be reasonably easy to magnetise some of the different options - having the kit does that hold up?

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 04:12:57 pm »
@ripley
Thanks for the additional info.

@petejones
Please share pictures of your T-26 models (one M1931, three M1933, one M1938, one khT-26). It will give others a good visual inspiration.

@Jimmy_P
Yes, the Katyusha Kit-Bash project seems to be an easy one. I'm still gathering details, but from what dry fitting I have done, looks like the parts will work with minimal modification.

Jimmy_P

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 08:35:35 pm »
@Jimmy_P
Yes, the Katyusha Kit-Bash project seems to be an easy one. I'm still gathering details, but from what dry fitting I have done, looks like the parts will work with minimal modification.

Look forward to seeing it!  :)