Author Topic: Aim to produce kits that no-one else makes  (Read 2936 times)

petejones

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Aim to produce kits that no-one else makes
« on: October 14, 2018, 02:23:30 am »
From a customer perspective, I think it makes sense to release models that no-one else makes. Not sure how realistic that is from a company perspective, but thought I'd mention it anyway. As there is minimal competition in the 1/56 scale market (let's not count the awful resin/metal combos that some manufacturers produce), I'd say there is a lot of scope for doing this.

As far as Italeri goes, they currently only produce the 88 Flak, Hetzer, Char B, Tiger II, IS-2, Puma, KV-1/2, M4 Sherman, Panther, Cromwell, Hellcat, M3 Stuart, Churchill, M10, M8/M20 Utility, Pz-III (late), StuG-III (late) and the Tiger I. Warlord also do the Pz-38(t) - not sure what else.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: Aim to produce kits that no-one else makes
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 04:06:22 pm »
A valid objective, but what is on your wishlist?

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 04:53:56 pm »
I think it does help to have options though and competition to force companies to improve.

For example Warlord has a plastic T34/85.
It is utter garbage and looks more like a toy with zero surface details to be seen.
Rubicon offers a much better choice of T34/85.
This will force Warlord to do a better one (yeah sure they will) and the cycle continues.

Similar to the Panzer IV.
Rubicon no longer currently has one.
Warlords is impossible to get hold of as it's constantly out of stock whenever you need it.
Soon rubicon will have a new one and warlords will be obsolete as it has fewer options.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 09:41:05 pm »
Competition is good, if both sides (three side?) step up.

The Warlord kits have not shown any sign of improvement, the Italeri are still very variable but there is no sign of an improvement path.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 10:06:50 pm »
Rubicon's kits seem to have more detail and options with each release which is great for the 1/56  model builder  . I think they will reach a point where they will have to say this is as far as we go , so not to put off the 1/56 gamer though ...... Warlord's kits while not great , have lots of potential for kit bashing with their softer plastic , if your into that sort of thing  . I really love Rubicn's options , but I still sometimes like to do my own thing . Italeri's while better than Warlord's , still have a long ways to go to match Rubicon's . And although they are staring to give you options in the kit ( 2 turrets )  , for the most part , there's always a few small bits that you only get one of so you can't build both turrets and swap them out  for game play . Rubicon , on the other hand , give you all the parts needed for both options ( SU-122 / 85 for example  ) and with a little TLC you can use both guns casements  on the hull .