Author Topic: Tracks' M4 Medium tank thread  (Read 47839 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Tracks' M4 Medium tank thread
« on: April 17, 2018, 07:16:38 pm »
Because of Rubicon Models, I have now massed a small collection of M4 Medium tanks (AKA Sherman tanks). To date, I have in plastic five Rubicon Models plastic Sherman kits and two plastic Sherman kits of another manufacture. I also have two resin Sherman tanks, but compared to the plastic kits, these resin kits are just awful! For plastic, I have a total of seven, but currently only four are competely finished (assembled and painted).

Because I have so many more M4 Medium tanks than any other tank in my miniature gaming collection, why not start a separate thread featuring only Sherman tanks. I have other tanks including three Panzer IVs (only one is Rubicon), so that might become another thread when Rubicon Models starts releasing the new Panzer IVs.

If Rubicon Models does not mind, I hope to also compare their fantastic plastic Sherman kits to other manufactures of plastic Sherman kits, but more on that later. Hopefully this information will be useful to new comers into this hobby.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Tracks' M4 Medium tank thread
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 08:17:02 pm »
These two plastic Sherman tanks are the M4A3/M4A3E8 kits (#280042) which include several wonderful options. Note that one of the models has the VVSS suspension while the other has the HVSS suspension. Both have the gaming HMG (part D05) option. These are very nice model kits for gaming! Highly recommended.

I pretty much assembled the kits right out of the box with no major modifications*, changes, or additions. They have also been assembled and painted for the purpose of gaming only, so they are painted to a basic "gaming standard", and not for competition or static display. That being said, please feel free to comment.

*I did make a light modification while assembling these models. The HMGs on both tanks can swivel (turn). They are not fixed in place.

The assembly instructions for this kit are very good, but its an excellent idea to follow the warning in the READ THIS FIRST box on step 2! Why? Well, its not so obvious, but one bogie on each side for the VVSS suspension is different than the others. The flat part has a slight angle (parts A14 and A15). These two parts must go in a specific location and they are not interchangeable with the other bogies. Surprisingly, the instructions does not make note of this, but I noticed it when carefully examining the parts and test fitting. It would be easy for a new modeler or a rushed modeler to miss this little detail. Especially since the other parts (A12, A13, A16, A17) can be press fitted into the location for A14 and A15.

A note about step 2. The angle of the hatch (part D02) is correctly shown for an open hatch. These hatches did not open all the way (180 degrees). Some modelers get this wrong. Also, except for that tab piece, parts A19 and D03 are the same.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 10:29:25 pm »
They look very nice.

Thanks for the heads up about the VVSS parts, I have three (one of each) of the New Rubicon Shermans awaiting building (and another original M4A3). Pinky's point about the transmission cover on the Hybrid is also useful to know (save your part D22 from the 76mm kits).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:39:17 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 11:43:38 pm »
Lovely painting and weathering, as usual. 

The problem with saving the 'sharp nose' transmission housing from this kit is that all 76mm Shermans seem to have had it, so you shouldn't use the rounded version on this kit.

Btw - for some reason I don't seem to be able to post photos (again!).

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 12:30:45 am »
Btw - for some reason I don't seem to be able to post photos (again!).
Your existing photographs appear to have disappeared.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 01:09:00 am »
The problem with saving the 'sharp nose' transmission housing from this kit is that all 76mm Shermans seem to have had it, so you shouldn't use the rounded version on this kit.

Pinky, are you sure? I would think with so many Sherman tanks with so many different transmission housings nothing would apply to all. I will have to reference my books when I get home. Speaking of books, even though most of you probably already know this, but a must have book is Sherman: A History of the American Medium Tank by R. P. Hunnicutt. Probably the best book on the Sherman you can get.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 03:42:14 am »
Great book if you can find it for a good price , it's going for big bucks on e bay . Ampersand  ( David Doyle Books ) released Son Of Sherman a year or so ago , a much more up to date book. Supposed to be a volume two  out on how to build / convert & kit bash the Sherman model kits available today. Most Sherman fans would probably end up getting all 3 . There were only 4 types of tranny housing  ( 5 if you count Jumbo ) early bolted which had a notch on mg side ( from M3 Lee production) , Sherman  bolted , cast rounded nose , cast sharp nose  . Certain factories used certain types all through their production runs , some factories used 2 or 3 types . One factory still 3 piece bolted  if IRC in  late 44 . The problem is they were all interchangeable . Just like the VSS wheel sets , you could use them to repair any damaged tank ,

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:51:45 am by ripley »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 11:02:58 am »
There were only 4 types of tranny housing  ( 5 if you count Jumbo ) early bolted which had a notch on mg side ( from M3 Lee production) , Sherman  bolted , cast rounded nose , cast sharp nose  . Certain factories used certain types all through their production runs , some factories used 2 or 3 types . One factory still 3 piece bolted  if IRC in  late 44 . The problem is they were all interchangeable . Just like the VSS wheel sets , you could use them to repair any damaged tank ,

I can only find photos of 76mm Shermans with the 'sharp nosed' transmission housing.  This makes sense considering that it was the final version of the transmission housing - it would have been standard by the time the 76mm gun was introduced.  I don't think the rounded version should have been included in the kit. 

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 12:04:55 pm »
 I just read on the shadrack site  that both cast noses had 3 distinct versions of the bolt strip , exposed , semi recessed and full recessed , this Sherman tank stuff  gets complicated real fast if you do more than scratch the surface  .  ::)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 05:12:22 pm »
The Sherman tank played an important role in WW2, and right now it is a good time for modelers/gamers. If you are just getting into 1:56 scale (28mm) gaming/modeling, you are in luck. When it comes to plastic kits of the Sherman tank, you currently have a good choice to choose from. I say this because not that long ago the only 1:56 (28mm) scale Sherman tanks available were in resin, and they were not that good. Currently there are several 1:56 (28mm) scale plastic Sherman tanks available to the modeler/gamer (Rubicon and Italeri). These newer plastic kits are all superior to the old resin kits.

As of this posting, Rubicon Models have the following Sherman kits available:
M4A3 / M4A3E8 Sherman - http://www.rubiconmodels.com/products.php?i=55
M4A2(W)76 Sherman - http://www.rubiconmodels.com/products.php?i=67
M4A2 Sherman / Sherman Mk III - http://www.rubiconmodels.com/products.php?i=68
M4 Sherman / Firefly IC - http://www.rubiconmodels.com/products.php?i=73
M4 Composite / Firefly IC Hybrid - http://www.rubiconmodels.com/products.php?i=74

But it gets better! Not only do the kits give you several options, but all the kits have interchangeable parts! This makes it very easy to mix and match.

The only major version of the Sherman tank missing from the list is the M4A1 Sherman. You know, the one with the fully cast, rounded upper hull that actually went into production first. I still find it strange that Rubicon Models decided to release the M4 Composite before the more popular and numerous M4A1, but they must have had their reasons for this.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 05:23:02 pm »
The only major version of the Sherman tank missing from the list is the M4A1 Sherman. You know, the one with the fully cast, rounded upper hull that actually went into production first. I still find it strange that Rubicon Models decided to release the M4 Composite before the more popular and numerous M4A1, but they must have had their reasons for this.

There are just too many open-ended projects that we need to get finished, not just the mould-making phase, but the support-phase... that's decals and manual composition.  Creating an assembly instruction takes up more time than anyone would have expected; especially trying to fit everything onto 3 or 5 pages of B5-size paper.

The M4A1 is a lot of work when compared with the other Shermans. Many new components needed to be created; not only the hull, but we have to include the original bogie and suspension, the 3-piece transmission cover, and the tracks. Once started, we cannot stop until finished. Being that said, we will restart the project to complete the M4A1 soon!  It is just a case of priority with so many on-hand projects.

On a side note, we are also talking to our resin design team to look into creating more add-on kits similar to the deep wading truck and the T34 Calliope for the Shermans.  Who knows what they will think of... ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:26:44 pm by Rubicon Models »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 06:41:13 pm »
On a side note, we are also talking to our resin design team to look into creating more add-on kits similar to the deep wading truck and the T34 Calliope for the Shermans.  Who knows what they will think of... ;)

Maybe a...
  • M4 Sherman Dozer
  • M4 Sherman Mine Exploder (Flail and/or Roller)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 07:28:59 pm »
...and/or:
  • M4A3E2 Jumbo
  • M32
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 10:34:52 pm by Pinky »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 09:39:01 pm »
The only major version of the Sherman tank missing from the list is the M4A1 Sherman. You know, the one with the fully cast, rounded upper hull that actually went into production first.
All depends on your point of view, the M4A4 is more important than the others - at least for my interests (and we all remember Pinky's opinion on the currently available options).

I fully understand Our Gracious Hosts' timetable for the M4A4 due to the extensive changes required.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 10:40:59 pm »
...(and we all remember Pinky's opinion on the currently available options).

Which one?  I lose track  :P

I would rather Rubicon took their time and put out an M4A1 with all the options for an early version, as they seem to be planning.  The 76mm version is an easy one for them, as it just involves a new hull.