Poll

You want to see a Tiger II with or without Zimmerit?

Yes, without Zimmerit
50 (62.5%)
Yes, with Zimmerit please
11 (13.8%)
Yes, but I don't care!
11 (13.8%)
No need for a Tiger II
8 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Proposed Project: Tiger II  (Read 22548 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Proposed Project: Tiger II
« on: November 26, 2014, 05:27:00 pm »
While we are still working some active projects, we are now researching material for new projects.  One proposed project is the Tiger II.

Some Background:
The Tiger II was developed late in the war and built in relatively small numbers.  Orders were placed for 1,500 Tiger IIs — slightly more than the 1,347 Tiger I tanks produced — but Tiger II production was severely disrupted by Allied bombing.  Among others, five raids between 22 September and 7 October 1944 destroyed 95 percent of the floor area of the Henschel plant. It is estimated that this caused the loss in production of some 657 Tiger IIs.  Only 492 units were produced: one in 1943, 379 in 1944, and 112 in 1945.  Full production ran from mid-1944 to the end of the war.

Zimmerit:
Zimmerit was applied to some tanks produced from December 1943 to 9 September 1944.  Application of Zimmerit was usually done at the factory.  In general, vehicles already in service were not coated with Zimmerit.  Zimmerit was discontinued from factory application on 9 September 1944 and from field application on 7 October 1944.  This was due to concerns that projectile impacts could ignite it.  These proved false, but the order was never rescinded.  Applying and drying the paste added days to the production of each vehicle, which was unacceptable as there was a shortage of tanks.  Only early models of Tiger II have Zimmerit applied.

Proposed Plan:
Our proposed plan is to include both the "Porsche" and the Henschel (production) Tiger II turret.  The question is should we include Zimmerit?  Historically, out of the 492 Tiger IIs, less than half had Zimmerit applied.  Our concerns with Zimmerit is:
1) Increase design and production difficulties
2) Mould production cost significantly higher
3) Zimmerit pattern on model not convincing
4) Retail price of the final product too high

What is your opinion?
We have added a poll for those who don't want to comment, but want to contribute.  For those who wanted to comment, please give feedback and vote too!!

NOTE: You probably need to <SCROLL UP> to see the poll...

;)

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 06:08:28 pm by Rubicon Models »

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
Re: Proposed Project: Tiger II
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 06:01:41 pm »
Since my main area of interest is Normandy, I would like a zimmerited porsche design. However, I voted "No" since a Tiger II isn't really essential for me.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 06:07:32 pm »
For a plastic kit, I would vote no for zimmerit
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Michael C

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 06:11:32 pm »
No to Zimmerit, I would rather if possible be able to buy it in an add-on pack. But I am not interested it being on the kit.

VolleyfireAndy

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 06:13:26 pm »
I think a Tiger II kit would be better served without Zimmerit as it never looks as good in plastic as spending a couple of hours with putty and a saw to detail. Also it's a lot easier to add Zimmerit than it is to remove it!

tommymonaghan

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 09:14:02 pm »
I think a Tiger II kit would be better served without Zimmerit as it never looks as good in plastic as spending a couple of hours with putty and a saw to detail. Also it's a lot easier to add Zimmerit than it is to remove it!
100% agree

predatorpt

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 09:44:14 pm »
100% agree

Another vote for the Tiger II without Zimmerit by the same reasons above!  ;)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 09:49:16 pm »
I'll also vote for a zim - less Tiger II . Depending on which actual tank I decide to model , if needed I will add my own zim. 

Anfernee

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 12:54:49 am »
Another no here, plus some other manufacturers do resin zimmerit Tiger IIs but I haven't seen ones without.

zigoR

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 02:28:55 pm »
100% agree

Another vote for the Tiger II without Zimmerit by the same reasons above!  ;)

Same for me :)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 08:59:28 pm »
I think all the Porsche turret Tiger IIs had Zimmerit, so if you're going to supply both turrets it'd make sense to include Zimmerit.  Personally, I hate trying to add it myself.  I'd also suggest that there are a lot of more useful vehicles that should have priority over a Tiger II.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 09:14:03 pm »
I think all the Porsche turret Tiger IIs had Zimmerit, so if you're going to supply both turrets it'd make sense to include Zimmerit.  Personally, I hate trying to add it myself.  I'd also suggest that there are a lot of more useful vehicles that should have priority over a Tiger II.
We are just doing a general survey on various things that we want to do for Q3/2015.  The Zimmerit issue is something that we are very interested to know... There will be more surveys to follow!

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 09:43:16 pm »
Would agree that sans-zimmerit's the way to go, covering the greatest number of vehicles produced - however, as has been stated, the 'Porshe' turreted examples (the first fifty or so production models) pretty much all would have been coated, so a historical approach does somewhat back you into a corner. The only approach which would cover all options (whilst avoiding huge expense) would be to produce a zimmerit as a photo-etch set - possibly in co-operation with one of the companies that already make such add-ons for the scale model crowd (I'm sure you could sell them on such a project - after all, gamers tend to buy multiples & as such would represent a largely untapped market for them) .
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:42:08 pm by Ballardian »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 09:51:35 pm »
Ballardian:  This is why we are doing this survey, trying to get a general idea on what our customers wanted.  This also give us a chance to explore different options in terms of production and design.  These feedback are valuable to us!

;)

vogless

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 12:05:19 am »
No Zimmerit, please. You can add it later if you really need to....