Rubicon Models > General Discussions

Have you changed your plastic?

(1/4) > >>

Captain Blood:
I’ve been building my Rubicon CMP truck, using the Revell Contacta liquid poly cement I’ve used for many hundreds of hard plastic figures and several plastic kits, including from Rubicon.

But to my slight consternation, the glue is behaving differently on this kit. Usually, as intended, the effect of the liquid poly cement is to rapidly dissolve the two surfaces to be bonded, and then fuse them together to create a new bond.

On this kit however, the cement is failing to dissolve the plastic. It’s just sitting on the surface of the plastic. It’s like the plastic is harder, shinier, somehow impervious to the intentionally corrosive properties of the glue. Half a dozen times, components which I thought were firmly stuck, have just come apart under the slightest pressure - revealing that the liquid poly cement has not behaved in its customary way. It’s just dried as a film on the surface of the plastic...

I haven’t experienced this with any other plastic kits, which leads me to question if something has changed in the composition of the material the kit is being produced in.

It’s pretty annoying  :(

Rubicon Models:
We have been using the same material - ABS plastic - for all our kits.  We can only suggest you switch to ABS liquid cement instead.  Many cement manufacturers have them.  We used Plastic Magic from Deluxe Materials from the UK (www.deluxematerials.co.uk).  We know this is annoying to a few customers, but ABS plastic gives better strength and sharpness to our models.

ripley:
Have you washed the plastic in liquid dish soap before assembly and paint ? Might be release agent on plastic . The amount seems to vary on each production run

ultravanillasmurf:
I have had occasional issues with some kits not being impressed by my usual Humbrol liquid poly. I have not tried the Tamiya liquid poly (recommended by Pinky) on those kits but it has worked on subsequent kits (such as the M4A3E8).

I have not tried cleaning the sprues, though I have found sanding the surfaces works.

elias.tibbs:
Revell quality is hit and miss. Sometimes it works on ABS and sometimes it doesn’t.

Plastic magic works wonders.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version