Author Topic: Showcasing my work - models used for gaming.  (Read 18113 times)

pezzapoo

• Cadet
  • Cross the Rubicon!
    • View Profile
    • Dark Ops Terrain
Re: Showcasing my work - models used for gaming.
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 12:51:27 am »
Some lovely paintjobs here

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 08:10:12 am »
Nice job on  the jeeps  And I think you got the US uniform colors  down perfectly .  Wasn't too interested in the US jeep but  now  I think I can see a Rat Patrol diorama in my future  ::)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:12:08 am by ripley »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 06:26:46 pm »
I have a third jeep:
http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=649.0

And I was going to assembled as a US jeep, but I decided to do something different. I have already started collecting extra bits and will order a stowage set or two. My plan is to assemble the jeep into something resembling the old Tamiya SAS jeep kit. The specific kit is Tamiya's "British Special Air Service Jeep" (series No.33), and I still have my old instruction sheet for the kit from when I built it a very long time ago. I will need to collect a lot more Jerry cans for the project.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 07:22:51 pm »
There are effectively 12 British and 12 US jerry cans per Allied Stowage set (two individual cans and four combined of each per sprue). The German set has eight (four per sprue).

I tend to use the German cans as British ones where placement obscures the W^D logo.

You can split the combined cans with a razor saw for length.

US long set (1+4+2+1)
http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=281.msg8128#
British short (1+2+1G)
http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=281.msg7116#msg7116
German medium (1+4B+1)
http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=281.msg8464#msg8464
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 07:35:39 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 12:36:53 am »
To detail the  Rubicons cans ,  remove the carry handle , add 3  bars for the carry part and a cross bar on the rear . IRC I used 1mm plastic rod . Its very fiddly ,as the pieces pull towards each other from the liquid glue , but it does work eventually

Bottom row , stock cans . the top 3 are for the Opel truck -  wip on the 2 grey cans and the yellow can is the finished item

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 11:49:46 pm »
Work in progress.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 12:36:05 am »
Very nice.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 08:39:51 am »
Wow , looks fantastic . Like the dusty look on the  wheels and track , pigment powders ?

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2018, 12:41:43 am »
It looks like I'm building my models faster than I can paint them.

I just finished assembling my HMC M8. This is a nice Rubicon Models plastic kit, and it allows you to build either the M5A1 or the HMC M8. I only have good things to say about this Rubicon kit. The only thing that could have made this kit even better if it had a few crew figures to go with the open topped turret if you build the HMC M8.

I built it straight out of the box with nothing extra being added. I did however remove something. I wanted to build my HMC M8 without the sand-shields. The reason for this is because I like the look of the exposed track (and details), but also because most of the combat photos and combat footage I have seen of this vehicle shows the HMC M8 without the sand shields. There are a few shown with them attached, but most did not have them.

What is great is that you can assemble this kit with or without the sand shields - even though it is not in the build instructions. You have a choice because the way Rubicon made the model kit. However, if you choose to not use the sand shields, you will have to modify the main hull (Part A03), and some research is needed. You need to remove some of the front fender as well as those triangle supports (see picture below). This is easily done, but as always some care is needed. I also removed the runners (including the long one in the middle) on part A03 that is used as a guide for the sand shields.  In fact, you can see one of those longer runners I cut off in the picture below. It is that thin circular coil piece to the left of the model. It coiled as I cut it off. The piece of plastic above that is some of the front fender I removed.

I really like this plastic model kit, and even better, this is the only known 1/56th (28mm) scale HMC M8 available in plastic!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:33:46 pm by Tracks »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2018, 01:08:10 am »
Looks good.

I am holding off assembling the M10C until there is crew.

The sand shields could do with a bit of better documentation, I initially did not fit them, then did (do not mention the glacis).
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/M5A1

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 10:28:56 am »
Nice bit of surgery  :D So is it going to be a Brit or Yank vehicle ?

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2018, 11:04:39 am »
The M8 is still one of my favourite Rubicon models.  I'm looking forward to seeing this painted.  Before you do, the modified fenders need more work.  The front edge of the fenders should be cut back further.  Also, there should be a 'lip" all the way along the edge - at the moment, your fender still has the cutaway where the sandshield should be attached. 

There should also be a barrel inside the mantlet, and an antenna mount on the engine deck.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:01:00 am by Pinky »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2018, 05:09:18 pm »
If I remember correctly it was used by the US and French only during WW2, the French also used it post war.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2018, 04:41:45 pm »
The HMC M8 model will be painted up as an American vehicle. As for the fender, you might be right. I will break out my books and diagrams and double check things - do some accurate measurements instead of guess work or what looks good.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 05:52:03 pm »