Author Topic: Some suggestions for kits as well as a wish list.  (Read 7642 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Some suggestions for kits as well as a wish list.
« on: October 18, 2017, 06:36:39 pm »
Here are some 1/56th scale plastic kits that Rubicon Models should consider:

+ Panzer 38(t)
+ Panzer II
+ SdKfz 10 Halftrack
+ Krupp Protze
+ M24 Light Tanks
+ M3 Medium Tank
+ 8.8cm Flak 36

Why?
No one else makes one of the above in plastic, which can make it useful for modelers as well as gamers alike. Yes, some gamers like the resin vehicles, but I am not one of them. From a modelling viewpoint I almost hate the resin stuff because some of it (not all) is just pure crap. I hope I'm not in the minority about this idea.

Krupp Protze note:
Something like the Krupp Protze Kfz.70 might look great and be of interest to many, for a gaming point of view its really only an early-war vehicle. The SdKfz 10 Halftrack was far more common and if I had to choose between the two for kit production, the better choice would be the SdKfz 10 Halftrack. To bad because the Krupp Protze has a really interesting look and design.

Panzer 38(t) note:
Contrary to popular belief, the Jagdpanzer 38(t) was not a modified Panzer 38(t). This might lead people to think that because Rubicon Models has a Jagdpanzer 38(t) kit it would be easy to release a Panzer 38(t) kit. Simply not true, because the Jagdpanzer 38(t) was almost a completely different tank for manufacturing purposes. Even the main road wheels, which look very similar, are different sizes. I think the only part that the two tanks have in common are the upper return rollers.

8.8cm Flak 36 note:
Probably more interest for modelers than gamers because 1:56th (28mm) miniatures are mostly used for squad level (skirmish level) gaming, and a 8.8cm Flak 36 would not be practical on the table top. It would look nice and it could be a good objective for a game/scenario, but if I had to choose between the AT-Guns for kit production, I would list the Pak 36, Pak 38, and Pak 40 as a higher priority.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: Some suggestions for kits as well as a wish list.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 09:45:12 pm »
The Panzer 38(t) is on many of our wishlists.
http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=150.msg1479

Warlord's choice of Marder III indicates they might have a Panzer 38(t) in the pipeline (possibly a resized PSC one). I would prefer a Rubicon one.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 05:03:10 am »
Warlord's Marder III is in resin plus metal bits, or is this a new plastic Marder III they plan on making? I could not find any information on the latter.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 05:18:45 am »
I see Warlord/Italeri's next plastic kit (after the Char B1 bis) is the Marder III.
The Warlord site is broken, but you can see it at the bottom under the Char Bis.
http://wargameterrain.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/warlord-games-new-bolt-action-urban.html

I have seen it in a repost of their newsletter.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 05:36:41 am by ultravanillasmurf »

Jimmy_P

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 10:43:53 pm »

SdKfz 10 is the top of my wish list  8)

Ref the Warlord Marder III, they had the new plastic model on display (couple of painted ones and one unpainted plastic) at their recent weekend / open day thing, so it's coming soon. I did notice that at the back of the pictures was a plastic 38t as well, so it's obviously either a Marder/38t dual kit or two new kits using shared sprues.

A plastic Pz2 would be ace actually. Maybe a combi Marder 2 kit?  :P
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:46:17 pm by Jimmy_P »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 10:01:26 pm »
Ref the Warlord Marder III, they had the new plastic model on display (couple of painted ones and one unpainted plastic) at their recent weekend / open day thing, so it's coming soon. I did notice that at the back of the pictures was a plastic 38t as well, so it's obviously either a Marder/38t dual kit or two new kits using shared sprues.

Well spotted, yes there is a tank at the back of the photograph in the link above that looks like a 38(t).

My guess from the Sherman V/VC, it will be two kits with common sprues.

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 10:00:30 am »
I'd be interested in the first four on this list. The two tanks are particularly important.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 12:06:02 am »
The Marder III Zug set is up, and it looks as though it's just the Marder.  While this particular Marder was essentially only a mid-war vehicle, it was a very popular kit when Tamiya released it.  I'd have preferred a Rubicon version, as Italeri/Warlord's multi-part track design doesn't work so well with narrow tracks.  Maybe they'll do a separate Pzr 38(t) kit later.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 01:06:01 am »
As their website is still in bits after a "security threat" was detected (their articles section only goes up to August ), what version of the Marder III is it? SDKFZ 139 or SDKFZ 138 H?

PSC have removed their instructions from their site so comparison is difficult.

[Edit] just seen a bit about their website on a newsletter published on another site

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:39:25 am by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 03:24:05 am »
Its the 1st version - SdKfz 139 with the small gun shield and 76.2 Russian gun

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 05:49:34 am »
Its the 1st version - SdKfz 139 with the small gun shield and 76.2 Russian gun

So Panzer 38 (t) with a gun bolted on the top rather than a Panzer 38 (t) that has been cut up a bit.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 08:13:13 am »
This one:

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 09:15:55 am »
It served in Afrika and the Eastern Front

Lots of cool paint schemes as well

Not my favorite Marder but might get a couple  ::)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 03:00:04 pm »
This one:

Yup, with Ausf H on the box...

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 09:31:06 pm »
Guess they are gamers , not model builders as all 3 versions of the Marder III are very different

SdKfz 139

SdKfz 138 H

SdKfz 138 M
 Just why the later versions had an earlier SdKfz number , I have  no clue   ( just like Panther D , A  + G  ::) ) , might have been in development stage 1st but got delayed  ?