Author Topic: Various WIP  (Read 74052 times)

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
Re: Various WIP
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2020, 03:19:16 am »
Pak40 is looking good. I'm just not a fan of plastic infantry sadly. I'm a metals guy when it comes to infantry unless you're talking vicktrix, but they cheat, their "28mm" infantry dwarf all other 28mm hence when they get that nice boost in detail. Just finished 120 of their viking for a customer, very nice...never want to see another viking again tho  ;D

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2020, 03:28:07 am »
O I was quite happy withe basing on this one

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 25, 2020, 04:25:04 am »
Basing looks good . How do Offensive figures scale to Rubicon and Warlords ( metal & plastic ) ? I like plastic because I can kit bash them into poses that no one else has , but yes some metal and resin have much better detail

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 25, 2020, 05:21:37 am »
Finished off Rubicon's T-34/76 . Did the usual  by adding texture to parts that were cast  by using liquid green stuff . Also decided to swap out a few wheels just for variation .

I managed to build both turrets from this kit as I have the lower turret piece left over from the SU sprue and I found the gun shield part left over from a  Warlord 76 kit . As well I have the Hex turret which is included as an extra in the 85 kit . So this turret I built as knocked out . The other 2 turrets await crew ( hex turret ) , and gun breach / crew ( the other pan turret )

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #184 on: April 25, 2020, 05:49:09 am »
I can certainly see that advantage to plastic in fairness. I dont do alot of kit bashing of infantry...food for thought.

I would say they are very similar to offensive. I find that in comparison to warlord both are smaller/thinner.

From left to right, rubicon tank riders, offensive miniatures, black tree, warlord metal, warlord plastic.

Rubicon metal tank rider in black, offensive miniatures winter riders either side

I bought the winter riders along with the reccy bike last month. When I opened the blister pack to take a photo I found these inside!

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 25, 2020, 06:29:09 am »
Nice bonus figures . I was looking at their new FJ tank riders . I've already made some of my own with Warlord plastic FJs , but could use a few more .

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 03, 2020, 12:56:27 am »
Pretty much a standard out of the box built 250 with the radio added , the tricky part is trying to get 3 men in the rear .

Its too bad you only get one head with headphones on in the radio add on set , what with it having parts to build 2 command vehicles , luckily I've got 2 of the tank crew blister packs so lots of choices . Anybody know of any packs of metal / resin heads with headphones , I could use some more as at least 3 in each German tank crew wore them ( commander , driver , radio op/bow gunner ) and if you depict a vehicle with open hatches …. Could also use some bare heads with headphones  as they could be used for a variety of Armies

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #187 on: May 03, 2020, 04:01:33 am »
nice! yes very cramped indeed. I have 250/3 to do myself, as well as 250/10 and 2x 250/1s and need to more 250/1s (waiting for the Friday sale). Picked up some of the marlord metal MG gunners to go in.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #188 on: May 04, 2020, 03:19:21 am »
Yes that is crowded.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2020, 03:57:17 am »
Another one done . It has a four man crew , driver , radio operator , officer and an observer . Really a tight fit so I trimmed feet and removed internal stowage to make them fit . The observer had his feet pretty much sanded off to get his shoulder beneath the antenna .

I still have to add some external stowage , maybe a tarp , jerry can of water and some personal gear  ( canteens , bread bags ) . I removed the front left fender to give it a war weary look . Pictures show missing fenders with very little damage ( on 250 Neu and 251 D ) so I assume they were built with a limited amount of bolts or maybe spot welding . I also decided to give it mismatched decals , one side has just the numbers outline , this is seen on some photos , although I have no idea why ( no paint ? lack of time to paint ? just messing with modelers 70 years in the future ) ?

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 09, 2020, 01:48:02 am »
Next build is the BA 10 armored car . I've decided to base it on a  picture that caught my eye , probably early 70s when I started to purchase Ballentine's WW2 books . The picture IRC was in the Kursk book , showing a German soldier running past what I thought was a weird 2 turreted Russian tank ( 4th picture down ) . Upon more reading and research , I discovered he was passing a knocked out BA 10 with it's turret to the rear , parked beside a KO'd KV II . What with all sorts of pictures being available via the internet , I've managed to find at least 8 of these vehicles from various angles , there's a KO'd T-26 on the other side of the KV ( picture taken days later ? )

Here's 3 of the BA 10 , I assume its propaganda photos as it looks to be knocked out before the soldier looks inside it

I was thinking of copying the 3rd picture with the open door and the soldier sprinting way , but I'm not having much luck getting a crisp resin copy of the door , plus the sides of the kit are very thick and will look wrong . Maybe a rethink and do the 2nd picture of the soldier at the door . So while I stew on that I've started to work on the track sections on the BA rear .

The actual track came apart into three 8 pad pieces for each side ( 24 pads ) , the Rubicon kit part has 22 pads , I think I can stagger them enough to hide the fact pads are missing. Just got to straighten out the kit parts , and maybe replicate those track teeth . Or maybe not....24 teeth per side , 2 sides = 48 teeth , and the Rubicon plastic is a bitch to fool around with when kit bashing ….maybe just leave them off , no one will know but me ….
The BA series had a set of brackets on each side to hold the track , I found a close up picture on a BA 3 car , I assume the track hanging  across the rear on the BA 10 would act like extra armor ? Of course with the rear door on the  BA 3 they would have to use the racks

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 02:11:01 am by ripley »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 12, 2020, 11:03:33 am »
A real pain to try and cut up and straighten out the track sections , but I think this will do . I tried hanging it in realistic lengths across the rear  but it didn't really look quite right , so I started cutting links out from each side  until it worked . I decided to add a few left over links on the right side storage box ( Fuel ? ) just to break up the uniform look . Still needs a tarp hanging off the rear ,or maybe on the left box ? Still have headlights , bumper and few bits , then a minimum amount of decals . No visible markings on the BA or the KV in the pictures , but I do want something on the BA .

Still have to convert a figure to match the photo , but all I have unbuilt is German Paras and camo smocked SS , guess I'll be ordering a sprue of early war type Germans next sprue sale
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 11:07:16 am by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #192 on: May 13, 2020, 01:50:23 am »
Nice.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 14, 2020, 11:40:11 am »
BA 10 is done . Nice build but I found the front fenders a little fiddley . Besides hanging the track sections I gave it a tarp and minimal decals . Next up I have 2 M3A1 Armored Cars , one for my Russians to tow the PSC 76mm Infantry gun and the other for my Canadians .

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 13, 2020, 01:13:40 pm »
The M3 AC is on hold for now as I work on a crew , so I decided to build another Cromwell . Already having one with the 75mm gun I thought I might build one with the howitzer . I used the howitzer left over  from the Italeri  Churchill kit , and  it fits perfectly .  I also decided to decal both Cromwells  for the same unit , the Poles 1st Armored division( 10th Mounted Rifles ) .

I added various bit and pieces to the tanks , Rubicon stowage bin on the howitzer turret , other boxes I cast up in resin , Tamiya 1/48 gas cans ( really love the look of the 3 piece handles ) , some cast and plastic packs , spare wheels from the Crusader kit , and cam netting made from medical gauze "borrowed " from a 1st aid kit at work .  I've always loved the Cromwell ( I have 5 in 1/35 scale ) and I was really disappointed to find out Canada never used them in WW2 , although there are rumors ( no pictures found ) that we did get the ex Royal Marines  Centaurs and use them for one operation lasting about a week then traded them in for Archers . Any way the Canadians did do some joint operations with the Poles so I figure I can use them with my troops