Author Topic: South African M4A3 105  (Read 6784 times)

Golf Alpha Zulu

• Cadet
    • View Profile
South African M4A3 105
« on: November 08, 2016, 02:02:24 pm »
Here is my interpretation of the Rubicon Sherman - modeled to depict a 105 in the HQ squadron of the Pretoria Regiment, South African 6th Armoured Division, Italy 1944-45. It was the only version of the M4A3 hull that was used but the South Africans - the bulk of their force was Sherman V and cast hull M4A1 76mm Shermans. And yes, my rivet-counting friends :D , the commanders hatch is correct - pix show the Pretoria Regiment's 105s equipped with the "vision cupola".

And together with another Pretoria Regiment vehicle - a Sherman VC (using the old Warlord resin kit).

More pix and build details on my blog
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:23:11 pm by Golf Alpha Zulu »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: South African M4A3 105
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 03:50:17 pm »
That's a really attractive model!  I like the subtle dust effects, and the scratchbuilt additions like the 'British pattern' stowage boxes and soft stowage.  What paints did you use?

Lovely work.  I'm off to check out your blog.

BTW - the maintenance on this division's tanks must have been hard-pressed, having to deal with 3 different types of engine...

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 04:09:48 pm »
Excellent job. I am following Pinky to check out your blog.

Golf Alpha Zulu

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 04:10:12 pm »
Thanks for the feedback  :)

For the most part I used Vallejo. Base was a 50/50 mix of Olive Grey and Russian Uniform Green. Washed for depth with Vallejo Wash for Dark Green, and then highlighted back up with Russian Uniform+White. Weathering mostly mist sprays of various Vallejo browns/ochres and then MIG pigments for the dense areas of dust...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 05:06:54 pm by Golf Alpha Zulu »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 04:12:45 pm »
Interesting blog.

(Link works now)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 05:03:15 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

Golf Alpha Zulu

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 04:23:37 pm »
Thanks. Fixed...I think...

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 10:33:07 pm »
Picking up on a comment in your blog, according to Mark Hayward's book on the Firefly, the 6th South African Armoured Division had a small number of Fireflies, and (as you mentioned above) also used Sherman IIAs.

Golf Alpha Zulu

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 11:39:26 pm »
Thanks for the reference - will see if I can track it down.

[geek mode] The most authoritative sources I can find on the division in Italy are William Marshall's articles in the SA Colours Series, and his two books on the SA 6th. But his research is ongoing, and he has from time to time revised his descriptions of the SA 6th TO&E. I have corresponded with him, to ask him to help me to try to fit particular photographs into particular timeframes, and it is by no means an easy process... (Example - there are no known unit records of the division ever having had Sherman IIIs - yet there is a photo of 2 knocked out SA Mk IIIs near Perugia... when did they arrive?)

There are plenty of photographs of SA 6th Fireflies in Italy. The timeline is approximately this: The Fireflies weren't used in training (in Egypt) so most likely were issued once the division was already in Italy (i.e. - sometime shortly after April 1944). The Fireflies all appear in SCC 15, unlike the bulk of the division's other tanks at that time which were in the Light Mud/Black Grey pattern - applied while still in Egypt. In November 1944, the division was pulled out of the line for rest and refit at Prato, and the bulk of the Sherman Vs were replaced by the Mk II 76's. The unit's historical documentation suggests the Fireflies were also at this point replaced by Mk II 76's, but that is not supported by all the photographic evidence... (as I said, there is a photo of both being used by the Pretoria Regiment, at a parade in early 1945 to mark the division's farewell to the 24th Guards Brigade - which had served under command of the SA 6th)... [/geek mode]

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 01:09:43 am »
Interesting.  There are photos of British units in Italy fielding a mixture of Sherman Vcs and Sherman IIAs so it seems likely the South Africans did too.  They had 126 Sherman IIAs, apparently.

For what it's worth, Fletcher's Osprey book on the Firefly says the South African Fireflies were probably concentrated in the HQ Squadrons of 11th South African Armoured Brigade, and were probably painted dark green towards the end of the war. 

I'd guess any Sherman IIIs were replacements from British stocks - they were much more common in Italy than in NW Europe, and many soldiered on to the end.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 01:15:48 am by Pinky »

Golf Alpha Zulu

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 02:44:47 am »
Interesting.  There are photos of British units in Italy fielding a mixture of Sherman Vcs and Sherman IIAs so it seems likely the South Africans did too.  They had 126 Sherman IIAs, apparently.

Thanks. Thats useful. Records show 255 total Shermans on strength at war end. Unfortunately they dont distinguish between various Sherman models.

For what it's worth, Fletcher's Osprey book on the Firefly says the South African Fireflies were probably concentrated in the HQ Squadrons of 11th South African Armoured Brigade, and were probably painted dark green towards the end of the war.

I think that is correct for later in the war (the Firefly in the foreground of the PR parade pic has HQ squadron markings). Apparently they were originally issued at 2 per squadron, and I have seen photos of SA Fireflies with B and C squadron markings from earlier in the war.

I'd guess any Sherman IIIs were replacements from British stocks - they were much more common in Italy than in NW Europe, and many soldiered on to the end.

That makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for all the input. Appreciated. And thanks for indulging my geeking out on these details... ;D

Queeg

• Cadet
    • View Profile
    • Houseofqueeg
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 02:23:54 pm »
Lovely smooth paint ........ and love the bases - very tasteful.

cheers
Brent