Author Topic: Renault FT-17  (Read 9259 times)

Collius

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Renault FT-17
« on: October 22, 2016, 02:01:23 pm »
Given the massive number of these that were built for the army and then exported across the world, it might be nice to see these as they could be found almost everywhere from China to Spain. It would also be cool to see a tank that bridges both world wars.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: Renault FT-17
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 03:10:46 pm »
This was mentioned on the French tanks thread.

It was also used by the US and later apparently by Germany as late as 1944.

The M1917 did not make it to World War I, but were deployed on internal security duties (see Bonus Army). The Canadians bought some for training purposes in 1940.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 08:41:49 pm »
The FT did see some service in WW2, but it was very marginal - a few saw action with the Polish and French armies, and some were encountered in North Africa and (as static defences) in Normandy.  That's about it.  I think there are a lot of more useful subjects for a plastic kit. I think there is a good resin version available in 28mm.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 09:51:11 pm »
The Germans used some on their early armoured trains , now weather they actually could be driven on and off is another story , but they had armor , ( minimal ! ) and a gun ( machine gun or very short 37mm ) . Also both types of turrets could be found used in bunkers on the Atlantic Wall .  But I agree , that other French tanks should take precedence as the FT-17 is already available from other companies . But if Rubicon make one , I'll buy by a couple  ::)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 09:54:08 pm »
To produce any model kits in plastic, we do need to sell a fixed amount of kits to break even. 
The quantity will depend on the number of sprues required.

For gaming purposes, to decide what vehicles to produce and for which country, we usually
will study rulebooks for several popular game systems, plus army lists used by most players
of each system as well.

For minor countries such as France, French-made tanks are only available at the beginning
of the war, these tanks are usually of mid-30s design.  The Renault FT is even earlier in 1918.

For some early war tanks, some will survive and still be used towards the end of the war,
but usually in small war pockets as dug-in pill boxes or for city policing and defence.

We have been studying French tanks (plus for other minor countries), and had one or two
tanks that are more favorable than others; but this list will change as updated versions of
popular game systems are released.

Right now, for the French, we have the Hotchkiss H35/H38/H39 light tank and the heavier
Char B1 bis on our list.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 09:57:20 pm »
I think there is a good resin version available in 28mm.
I have the Empress Miniatures one which is very good, when I get round to assembling it.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 10:43:37 pm »
Right now, for the French, we have the Hotchkiss H35/H38/H39 light tank and the heavier
Char B1 bis on our list.

I think there would be a lot of interest in the Somua S35 - perhaps more than the other cavalry tanks.  A Char B1 bis would be cool.

I have the Empress Miniatures one which is very good, when I get round to assembling it.

I was thinking of the Trenchworx model.  Warlord do one too.  These kinds of tanks with 'wrap-around' tracks and no visible suspension are well suited to resin.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 11:06:36 pm by Pinky »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 11:05:07 pm »
The Germans used some on their early armoured trains , now weather they actually could be driven on and off is another story , but they had armor , ( minimal ! ) and a gun ( machine gun or very short 37mm ) . Also both types of turrets could be found used in bunkers on the Atlantic Wall .

About 500 were captured in working (or repairable) order.  They were designated Panzerkampfwagen 17R 730(f) or 18 R 730(f), depending on the turret type.  They were slow, unreliable and had a high fuel consumption so it was hard to keep them running.

100 were stationed on the French coast and ended up dug in as fixed defences - these saw action on D-Day.  Another 100 were issued to the Luftwaffe for airfield defence - some of these also saw action in Normandy.  20 were prepared for service in Crete but never got there.  100 were stationed as anti-paratrooper defence in Germany.  A few went to Norway.  And 30 were used in the Balkans; initially for security duties, then as artillery on armoured trains (where some even ended up repainted in 3-colour schemes - see the photo below).  The rest were scrapped.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:01:23 pm by Pinky »

Yaquir

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 08:23:34 pm »
Char B1bis and H 35/38/39 would be cool - also a Somua S35.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 08:46:56 pm »
Excellent work Pinky. Strange how something so antiquated (to our eyes) looking had such a long life.

Char B1bis and H 35/38/39 would be cool - also a Somua S35.

I think these were mentioned on the French tanks thread.

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 10:27:37 am »
I note the Poles used FT-17's and tankettes on Draisines as components of Armoured Trains during September 1939. They could dismount from the train. I'm not sure if the Germans continued to use them against partisans and the like but some of the former Polish Armoured Trains certainly found themselves used by the Germans. I agree with others the FT-17 shouldn't be a priority for Rubicon but it would make an interesting subject for the wargame table nonetheless. Perhaps it could be modelled with the draisines one day.   

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 02:36:12 pm »
Quote from: pinky
I was thinking of the Trenchworx model.  Warlord do one too.  These kinds of tanks with 'wrap-around' tracks and no visible suspension are well suited to resin.

The trenchworx one is gorgeous, but at $27.50 and the ££ how it currently is I won't be adding anymore to my collection for a while :(
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Collius

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 12:26:17 am »
I want to thank rubicon for their replay and the other users for tips on where to look for FT models :), I've been looking at the empress model for some time as I would like an FT to add to my Carlist infantry.

I thought the FT might make for a good kit, given the massive variety of both variants and users. Although if the focus is to stay with more contemporary examples once Rubicon gets around to looking at the french, I would like to voice my  support for the Somua S35.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:30:57 am by Collius »

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 09:42:09 am »
The completest in me votes for every tank in this thread including the FT-17. I just can't imagine it coming from Rubicon soon. Please keep coming up with ideas though.

worrywort

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 02:33:15 pm »
It's a good news if rubicon will do the B1bis and the H35, 38, 39!

This tanks were used by some other countries after the fall of France. German use them with some conversions.  I think it could be help to sales some of them.

I would like to see some french tanks for my early war french army.  S35 would be a great addition like the D2 too ! R35 was used by the axe army too.
And some other...