Author Topic: Panzer III WIP  (Read 4863 times)

AussieBrad

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Panzer III WIP
« on: September 22, 2016, 03:42:24 pm »
Just a small update on a project I am doing. Building the Panzer III and if you remember me asking about Sandbags the other day, I ordered the plastic ones suggested but got impatient and cracked out the green stuff and attempted to punch some out! What you think?
Yet got to add stowage and crap, but thought I would share so far.

ps you finger nails comes in handy! (Used my nails to crease them up )

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 04:52:45 pm by AussieBrad »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: Hope this is the right place WIP
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 04:24:16 pm »
This is the place, well it is where I have posted my stuff ^___^.

You might want to change the thread title to your wip.

Nice greenstuff work. I will be interested to see this painted up.

One thing, there is a slight problem with the rear deck of the kit, it has one too many covers (there should be three not four).

It is possible to remove the cover (made easier if you have not glued the deck to the chassis).

Here is my effort:
http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=281.msg3262#msg3262

AussieBrad

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: Panzer III WIP
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 04:54:31 pm »
Crap! I thought I did my homework :( Hate that :-\ Yeah Glued lol I will just do  cover it with Stowage :)

Yeah will be Grey with Sand (Eastern Front)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 04:58:44 pm by AussieBrad »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 11:13:32 pm »
It's worth checking out what UVS did with his Panzer III because that 4th louvre is quite noticable.  The Rubicon Panzer III has a few other issues; maybe the most noticable is the lack of boltheads on the spaced armour plate on the mantlet.

I like your sandbags - I think they sit very naturally.  In reality they'd probably be arranged more methodically on the turret, but they look cool.  Any chance you could straighten the spare track on the turret?  This would be attached perpendicular to the mantlet, and not just at a random angle.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 08:27:10 am »
Sand bags look great , I still can't get GS to do what I want  ::) . I think the ones round the cupola should be removed ,though , as they block the  commander's  vision ports . If you can't remove the 4th louvre , you could always hide it by covering part of the engine deck with a flag or tarp

AussieBrad

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 02:45:06 pm »
Well, guys I have to say since I saw your post this morning Pinky I have been in a really angry mood lol. When I was doing the sandbags I started off not really "thinking" about the positions etc, and also to mention the fact that it was pointed out there is issues with bolts on the mantlet. I got carried away and have now decided to stop the project and piff it out.

Hey Rip, yeah last night I had just removed it with a chisel and added stowage and tissue (Tarp)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 08:29:29 pm »
There are a variety of resin /plastic nuts & bolt , rivet sets out there . An easy one to find in Hobby shops is a plastic type by Meng  . They have about 6 sets in sizes for use with  1/72 up to  a set to use on 1/24 scale cars and  1/16 scale tanks  . I've got all but the largest set and  I've used them to add missing details or to redefine softly molded details on a variety of scale kits  kits . I've also used one of the larger sizes as the ear pieces of radio head sets for 1/56 my tank crews  ;)  Here in Canada they run about $8 , for three double sided sheets ( 3 sizes , nuts/ bolts ) probably depending on size you get 300 of each nut / bolt enough to keep busy for years unless you decide to scratch build some rivet covered Italian tank
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:49:14 pm by ripley »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 10:52:44 pm »
I got carried away and have now decided to stop the project and piff it out.

Don't abandon it.  Like I said, the sandbags on the turret look cool.  Cover up the extra louvre with a tarp, and add some boltheads to the spaced armour, and you're ready to paint.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 11:29:48 pm »
Grandt Line do a range of nuts and bolts in plastic for quarter scale (1/48) model railways, they might be an option.

Do not give up, completing the model will provide you with practice, though having seen your greenstuff sandbags it does not look as if you need any ^___^.