Author Topic: New wish list for 2016  (Read 25099 times)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
New wish list for 2016
« on: January 13, 2016, 04:44:43 pm »
As far as we know, Rubicon have (following their Q4 2015 releases, due out shortly) the following in the pipeline:

- SdKfz 250 Alte and variants
- Studebaker + Katyusha
- Allied stowage set
- GMC CCKW
- SU-85/SU-122
- SdKfz 251 Ausf C and variants
- SdKfz 251 Ausf D variants
- M3A1 variants
- US Jeep

For reasons they've explained, they are probably going to be a bit more circumspect about future releases, but in the meantime it doesn't hurt to throw out more wish lists.  Taking into account the fact that more obscure subjects are commercially unattractive, and the rumoured forthcoming releases from Warlord/Italeri, here's my latest wish list:

Kubelwagen  - or perhaps a more interesting small German softskin like a Kfz 15 Horch.

Panzer III Ausf F/G/H, with the option of building a Panzerbefehlswagen and parts for a tropicalised version.

SdKfz 232, with parts to build the 263 version.

SU-76, with perhaps (since it's a small vehicle) the option of also building the basic T-70 light tank on which it was based.

M4A3E2 'Jumbo or mid-production Sherman, preferably one which can also be built as a Firefly.  I realise that the Jumbo was only built in small numbers, but it would be a popular vehicle for wargamers, and an attractive model.  I think a mid-production Sherman would be popular as well (and usable by the Brits), but then it becomes a question of which version would be best. 

Bedford or Morris lorry (the Brits need a softskin too!).  Possibly with the option of building it as a 6-pdr Portee.

Humber or Daimler armoured car (they are such great looking vehicles, yet rarely depicted in plastic).

M13/40, with the option of building it as a Semovente (to give the Italians some representation, and expand the range suitable for the North African campaign).

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:14:25 pm by Pinky »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: New wish list for 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 05:54:01 pm »
Pinky - six or eight wheels (evidently a lapse in the SDKFZ number assignment bureau ^____^).

The kubelwagen would be nice, British soft vehicles also.

Mine is nicked wholesale from the earlier survey, with items removed after discussions elsewhere.

Matilda 2, Panzer 38(t) - rivets sorry,  Comet, A13 cruiser - again sorry,  Dingo, Daimler/Humber/AEC armoured car, Sexton SPG/Kangaroo, KV-1/2, IS series, Sherman 2 (M4A1 - ie cast hull), M4A3E8, LRDG Chevrolet, Quad, Tetrach, Mk VI light tank.
British guns 25lb, 2lb, 6lb, 17lb, Bofors 40mm AA and portees/towing vehicles.

The late model Churchill would still be nice.

Rubicon have mentioned someone else is doing a Sherman V kit and so that had been sidelined, but there is still the option of a Sherman 1 hybrid (cast glacis welded hull) as a firefly.

One thing:
Question, how many boxes of sprues will be required for the spare track for one Polish Sherman? ^_____^.

Be patient and you will get what you wanted later this year...  ;D

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 05:57:45 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 08:10:45 pm »
Pinky - six or eight wheels (evidently a lapse in the SDKFZ number assignment bureau ^____^).

I meant the 8 Rad...

Matilda 2, Panzer 38(t) - rivets sorry,  Comet, A13 cruiser - again sorry,  Dingo, Daimler/Humber/AEC armoured car, Sexton SPG/Kangaroo, KV-1/2, IS series, Sherman 2 (M4A1 - ie cast hull), M4A3E8, LRDG Chevrolet, Quad, Tetrach, Mk VI light tank.
British guns 25lb, 2lb, 6lb, 17lb, Bofors 40mm AA and portees/towing vehicles.

Of these, I would have thought the Matilda 2, Comet, Sherman II and M4A3E8 were potentially popular subjects.  And the anti-tank guns (Rubicon have said they're looking at artillery).

Rubicon have mentioned someone else is doing a Sherman V kit and so that had been sidelined, but there is still the option of a Sherman 1 hybrid (cast glacis welded hull) as a firefly.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for.  I would prefer a Rubicon Sherman I Hybrid Firefly to an upscaled PSC Sherman V (which is probably what is rumoured to be in the works).

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 08:58:02 pm »
2016 will be the year for smaller vehicles with the main focus on figures related project.

This will enable us to build up a solid digital library of components so that we can startup any new projects with minimal leadtime.

Being that said, we will still do a few bigger tanks along the way!

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 10:34:50 pm »
2016 will be the year for smaller vehicles with the main focus on figures related project.

That's very intriguing!  Of course, armoured cars count as 'small' - right?

This will enable us to build up a solid digital library of components so that we can startup any new projects with minimal leadtime.

Not unlike a certain much-maligned producer of plastic sci-fi models...I guess their business model makes more sense that some realise!

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 10:40:31 pm »
Not unlike a certain much-maligned producer of plastic sci-fi models...I guess their business model makes more sense that some realise!

This is very true.  A fresh start loosing all existing customers does not mean bankruptcy.  A lot of hi-tech companies do this all the time!  It is the company vision that is most important!

We are starting to do figures, but these are not just "any" figures!  We want each to tell a story of their own... quality miniatures that can be displayed and played!

Yaquir

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 03:11:44 am »
What Pinky and ultravanillasmurf said plus:

- a StuG III earlier version (B - E)
- british Valentine
- a early Sherman (with that round hull, like a turtle)

- french tanks - Somua S-35, Hotchkiss H-35/39, Char B1bis

- german tows - SdKfz 8 Schwerer Zugwagen 12 t or Sdkfz 6 or 7

guns: expecially the 8,8 und brit 25 lb

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 03:49:42 am »
- a early Sherman (with that round hull, like a turtle)

Sherman tank numbers (and I use the British scheme of Sherman (M4Ax+1) for simplicity) are odd.

The different numbers are not newer or older, the Sherman 2 was supplied first (cast hull as you requested above) the oldest surviving Sherman is a 2, it even has an additional machine gun. They were still in production in July 1945.

The numbers relate to hull type and engine.

There are new and Old features but that is more complicated. One interesting site is http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/index.html
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:10:02 am by ultravanillasmurf »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 10:13:38 am »
I thought describing the early M4A1 as looking like a turtle was pretty accurate! 

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 05:28:19 pm »
I thought describing the early M4A1 as looking like a turtle was pretty accurate!

I wholeheartedly agree with the description.

I also find the more I look, the less I know - M4A1 (Sherman 2) tanks have large and small driver's hatches so early Sherman 2 is also accurate (there is also hull rear shape, cast in "appliqué", appliqué and rear deck...).

Apologies.

Amusingly a certain 15mm and 1/72 scale supplier appears to have built full size Shermans according to the reference above ^____^.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 09:37:55 pm »
The M4A1 with the large hatches was actually a composite vehicle with the front of the hull cast and everything behind the driver's area was welded flat plate like the M4  . It seems cast armor has better stopping power than flat . But there were not enough factories with the facilities to cast full hulls , hence just the front . Personally I think the 2 versions of the M4A1 are the coolest looking American designed  tank .

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 11:40:53 pm »
Yes, there is also a large hatched M4A1 hull. It was used with the 76mm turret. I'm pretty sure the composite hulled M4 just had the 75mm gun turret used on it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 02:29:53 am by H0ffmn »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 04:22:14 am »
Only one source, but http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/sherman_types/m4a1/m4a1.html

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4a1largehatches/m4a1_largehatches.html
Apparently the one at Slapton Sands is a large hatch 75mm, they were rare.

Composite hulls were mainly Sherman 1s, there were Fireflies.
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4composite/m4_composite.html

There were very few Sherman 5 composites.

Sherman 2s were deemed unsuitable for Firefly conversion as they did not have enough room in the hull.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 05:20:28 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 03:12:42 pm »
The 'large hatch' 75mm M4A1 used to be a bit controversial.  Esci's 1/72 scale M4A1 (which was otherwise quite a nice kit for its time) depicted this version, and for a long time the prevailing wisdom was that it was inaccurate because this variant didn't exist.  It then turned out that there were a few 'large hatch' M4A1s produced with the 75mm gun.  It looks as though most if not all of them were converted into DD tanks (possibly because the larger hatches made it easier for the crew to exit if it sank). The only examples I've seen in photos (at least in NW Europe) are DD's. 

I don't think the M4A4 (Sherman V) was built in the composite configuration.

As I've said a few times, I think the 'hybrid' version of the Firefly (i.e. the version built on the composite M4) is the best looking Firefly.   
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 01:53:46 pm by Pinky »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 06:03:23 pm »
I don't think the M4A4 (Sherman V) was build was built in the composite configuration.
Yes, sorry, the other composite was the M4A6, which married the cast front to an M4A4 (Sherman V) style hull with a diesel radial engine. Original order 775, cut back to 75. Pictures on the composite link above.

What would be nice is an M4 kit that could be large, small and hybrid and Firefly.