Author Topic: Jagdpanzer 38 Hetzer - Prototype 171228  (Read 48161 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Jagdpanzer 38 Hetzer - NEW Expansion Kit?? 171218
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2017, 11:38:40 pm »
So would this be a new kit or would it be an expansion?

Just a few new pieces so that you can convert existing kit into a new vehicle.  A test project for us to see how feasible this will work.
Probably a blister pack requiring you to buy both the Hetzer and 250/9 & 251/23 kits... 
some might already have an extra turret, so is more affordable to convert.  ;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2017, 11:51:48 pm »
But why waste time and resources on something like this?  This is the kind of thing Dragon does - prototypes and one-off German vehicles.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2017, 11:57:41 pm »
But why waste time and resources on something like this?  This is the kind of thing Dragon does - prototypes and one-off German vehicles.

This is only an hour of work with a few part changes, but it does give us the opportunity to do a pilot study of what other projects we can do with similar products... M4 Sherman, Panzer III & IV, etc.

The Aufklärungspanzer 38(t) 2cm KwK 38 is a late war recon vehicle that was being built and can be used with games like late-war BA & Konflikt 47.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:15:20 am by Rubicon Models »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2017, 12:24:40 am »
I am making a guess that the chief component is a replacement part A05 (upper hull). If you make the top plate separate it would allow an assortment of uses.

I do not have access to any books so cannot see what the other JPzr 38 variants look like.

I can understand that this would potentially extend sales of existing kits with only a limited new development.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2017, 12:35:28 am »
I am making a guess that the chief component is a replacement part A05 (upper hull). If you make the top plate separate it would allow an assortment of uses.
I do not have access to any books so cannot see what the other JPzr 38 variants look like.
I can understand that this would potentially extend sales of existing kits with only a limited new development.

UVS, we are exploring the design and packaging of conversion kits that will enable you to build combinations of other vehicles.  The projects that we are working on are closely related and can be extended or combined into a new product by means of repackaging or an additional conversion kit.

We are a design studio as well as a manufacturer, thus we can also play a role to be an after-market developer of add-ons parts too!  ;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2017, 01:26:05 am »
We are a design studio as well as a manufacturer, thus we can also play a role to be an after-market developer of add-ons parts too!  ;)
And you are in the best place to develop them. I look forward to seeing what you develop.

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2017, 03:29:17 am »

Ok, it's a little niche - but it's a niche I certainly game in (late & 'weird' WWII). If indeed it woiuld only require the creation of a few bespoke components I'd love to see one (along with an ARV & the slightly bizarre 280mm mortar carrier version).

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2017, 07:44:51 am »
I'm not usually a supporter of the diversions Rubicon tend to get involved with. However to my understanding this is more than just a prototype, is a vehicle, rather than a fence, and an armoured one at that. It gets a tick from me.

Jaeger

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: Jagdpanzer 38 Hetzer - Expansion Kit 171218
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2017, 09:32:44 am »
Aufklärungspanzer 38(t) 2cm KwK 38 - a new expansion project for one of our best kits!

The marriage of two existing kits:
(1) 280030 Jadgpanther 38(t)
(2) 280048 SdKfz 250/251 Expansion Kit - SdKfz 250/9 & 251/23
...with a new Bergepanzerwagen 38 chassis!

Oh, I would like this too.  A lot!
Aufklarung platoon
Enjoy!
;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2017, 11:13:11 am »
I'm not usually a supporter of the diversions Rubicon tend to get involved with. However to my understanding this is more than just a prototype, is a vehicle, rather than a fence, and an armoured one at that. It gets a tick from me.

It didn't see service. The version that did used the late model Pzr 38(t) chassis.

My point is that there are so many more 'worthwhile' vehicles to give this kind of treatment to.  How about a Bergepanzer 38(t)?

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:23:26 pm by Pinky »

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2017, 11:28:38 am »
I bow to your great knowledge Pinky. However I think Rubicon's expressed intent to create different variants of their products is to be encouraged. I was particularly interested to see the Panxer IV mentioned in that context.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2017, 12:02:18 pm »
Interesting . Maybe Rubicon could do small run craftsman type kit with a the needed parts and plans / diagrams for cutting / drilling the base kit . Sort of what those Vacu form kit manufacterers did back in the 70s .  I think that would be neat . They could also make parts to go on other companies base  kits .  S&S Models does that with their  ARV conversion  kits  in metal and resin for BA's Sherman , Cromwell & Panzer III . S&S also make a lot those type of kits in  1/72  as well ( for Airfix tanks ) . Lots of companies do it for 1/35 kits as well , so why not 1/56 ?  Might be a niche market that could be profitable , I know I could think of a few conversion kits I'ld like to build , much easier then scratch building my own parts  ;D

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: Jagdpanzer 38 Hetzer - Expansion Kit 171218
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2017, 04:32:04 pm »

@Pinky: It does say on Bergepanzer 38t chassis...

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2017, 04:54:14 pm »
You can argue all day whether imor not it was made/saw service or if the kit is worthwhile from a commercial standpoint.

But what none of us can deny is that this things looks pretty damn cool.

And as UVS pointed out and Rubicon’s explanation of wanting to package expansions for multiple variants, it looks like this might not be the main reason behind the kit.

I just don’t get the hatred for this on here and the Facebook pages.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2017, 05:20:54 pm »

I just don’t get the hatred for this on here and the Facebook pages.

Hatred is a strong word. People are usually expressing disappointment with Rubicon's choice of subject. My support for this choice is more about supporting the concept than this particular vehicle. Panzer 38(t) Ausf A being more numerous and fought for a long period.