Author Topic: Tank, Cruiser, Mk VI (A15 Crusader) - Project CLOSED!  (Read 48399 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Tank, Cruiser, Mk VI (A15 Crusader) - Project CLOSED!
« on: April 01, 2015, 07:26:54 pm »
It may be April Fools Day, but we are serious!

;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 05:42:37 pm by Rubicon Models »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Tank, Cruiser, Mk VI (A15 Crusader)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 09:07:18 pm »
Wow, that's very cool.  There's a lot of surface detail to replicate - especially with the actual Crusader turret(s). 

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 10:38:02 pm »
I hope you also plan on making the Crusader Mk1 and Mk2.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 10:50:53 pm »
I hope you also plan on making the Crusader Mk1 and Mk2.

Making vehicles multi-variant is our specialty!  Of course we will!
;)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 12:43:41 am »
Here are the remaining 3D drawings for the Crusader tank design!

Objective is to create a single 3-sprue plastic kit:
- Choice to build either a Crusader Mk I / II / III / AA variant
- Choice of three different side armour skirts
- Removable auxiliary hull turret (field modified)
- Can be build with or without rear fuel container
- Spare road wheels and minor accessories (??)

We are also looking into adding the Crusader Mk Ics / IIcs into the build choice, replacing the main gun with a 3 in howitzer.

Please feel free to comment!
;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 12:53:35 am by Rubicon Models »

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 01:32:27 am »
The turrets look nice. Will these be second or third quarter releases? I can't wait for them to be released, I'm not fond of either the Blitzkrieg or Warlord offerings available now.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 01:41:22 am »
The turrets look nice. Will these be second or third quarter releases? I can't wait for them to be released, I'm not fond of either the Blitzkrieg or Warlord offerings available now.

It is quite difficult to say at the moment.  Production schedule (particularly on the mould making side) had been lined up until October this year.  The Crusader is awaiting 3D prototyping right after the Easter holiday.  If everything goes as planned, we will move the project forward to the mould making queue in about a month.

There are some tricky components (for plastic mould injection) on the vehicle, will be happy to see if we can make it out for Q2/15 releases!  We currently have five (or six) working projects plus some OEM work on hand.

Wish us luck!!  ;)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 08:27:36 am »
Looks great .  Could really us a Crusader AA in my unit .
Just thinking , wouldn't it be better to do a Crusader I - III kit for the early part of the war . And a separate kit of Crusader AA , Gun Tractor and ARV . So you would have one kit for the desert war guys and the other kit for the Normandy invasion guys . I know nothing about molding and parts count etc , but to me  that would seem like a logical way to get more use out of the Crusader lower body and wheels / track .

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 09:25:43 am »
Just thinking , wouldn't it be better to do a Crusader I - III kit for the early part of the war . And a separate kit of Crusader AA , Gun Tractor and ARV . So you would have one kit for the desert war guys and the other kit for the Normandy invasion guys . I know nothing about molding and parts count etc , but to me  that would seem like a logical way to get more use out of the Crusader lower body and wheels / track .

That will depends on the final parts count and layout of the sprues.  On a side note, the Gun Tractor will require a total rework of the hull top, which meant basically a new 3D drawing just for the Gun Tractor, which also required a driver.  As for the ARV, only a prototype was build in 1942...

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 08:18:25 am »
Your right about the gun tractor , too many extra parts for the interior , pity as I had a nice diorama idea . And your right about the ARV . Upon further study ( magnifying those tiny pictures on google ) it seems all pictures taken were of the one and only vehicle made . Also found some to be Centaur ARVs with the flat nose plate hidden by loads of crew kit , the wheels look the same   :( . I can't tell by your CAD drawing but does  the right gun barrel on the AA extend a little further than the left one ? Internal pictures show the guns were mounted offset so the handgrips wouldn't bind . I seem to learn something new everyday weather I want to or not  :)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 10:04:10 am »
Your right about the gun tractor , too many extra parts for the interior , pity as I had a nice diorama idea . And your right about the ARV . Upon further study ( magnifying those tiny pictures on google ) it seems all pictures taken were of the one and only vehicle made . Also found some to be Centaur ARVs with the flat nose plate hidden by loads of crew kit , the wheels look the same   :( . I can't tell by your CAD drawing but does  the right gun barrel on the AA extend a little further than the left one ? Internal pictures show the guns were mounted offset so the handgrips wouldn't bind . I seem to learn something new everyday weather I want to or not  :)

After minor screw ups with previous kits, we are now more vigilant on details through careful research from multiple sources!  Think it did payoff with the added expenses!   ;D

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 12:37:59 am »
We are still working hard during the Easter holiday!  Spending a whole day cleaning up the 3D prototype parts of the Crusader... here are some sneak preview of these parts!

After the extra long weekend, we will start turning these parts into resin duplicates for test assembly, then make minor (or major) changes to problematic areas before sending it off for final production meeting, and then mould making!

The parts are a little bit difficult to see the details because the material used is semi-transparent, but should be able to make it out if you look closely!

Enjoy!
;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 12:43:31 am »
Everything looks great.  The dimensions look right - some of the previous Crusader kits have cocked that up (usually too long).  With this one (and the M5A1/M8) you really seem to have taken a leap forward. 

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 12:52:46 am »
Everything looks great.  The dimensions look right - some of the previous Crusader kits have cocked that up (usually too long).  With this one (and the M5A1/M8) you really seem to have taken a leap forward.

We actually use the actual dimension of a real Crusader tank, scaled it down, and then compare it to our line drawings and blueprints.  It is a long learning curve, you need to know the limits of the mould maker, and push it hard!  Still not perfect, but we are getting there!
;)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 02:25:12 am »
Looking good . Any chance of an open / closed hatch option for the driver's compartment ?  Sorry , never satisfied  :).