Author Topic: M3/M3A1 Half-Track Personnel Carrier - M21 MMC TS1 Plastic 170118  (Read 75903 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: M3 Half-Track Personnel Carrier
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 09:14:42 am »
This is the first time ever our critics had an unanimous praise (?) on our prototype! It is a bold and expensive experiment for us, but think is worth the try!

;)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 09:23:49 am »
Do you think there will be an M16 upgrade at some point?

Probably not, the M16 has a different rear body armour plate layout. Will need a new body for it!
But we will do some GMC or HMC at a later stage. A mortar carrier is also planned.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 12:47:37 pm »
A M16 should be a easy conversion if the  body is made in soft not hard  plastic . Trim the sides down . Fill in the door . Make new sides out of plastic sheet . The difficult part IMO is getting four decent 50 cal machine guns for the turret . The tomb stone style ammo drums should be a snap to build up from plastic card  and then cast as you'll need at least 12 .  I guess I better start looking for matching machine guns  :)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 04:21:14 pm »
ripley: That's very true for kit-bashing, but not practical for us to make a new mould... The M16 was on our variant list, but after matching it with existing technical drawings, it is close to impossible to rearrange the armour details on the M3 without sacrificing the integrity of the one piece body structure; thus need to kick it out of the eDrawing list!  :(

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 09:30:19 pm »
No , I don't expect you guys to make every version , there's no fun for us kit bashers if you do that . Just give us a great base kit , we'll do the rest  :) . Mulling over  using the Zvezda  1/72 scale Bofors as the base gun to build a   T28E1 twin 50 cal / 37 mm GMC halftrack in 1/56 . Lots of ideas ...

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2015, 07:33:57 pm »
More images for the M3 Half Track...

Enjoy!
;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2015, 10:05:03 pm »
These components look very good - especially the racks.  Not sure where the stowage boxes fit in though - maybe they belong to a different version?

There was no M3A2 - it was planned as a replacement for the various types, but never went into production.  The ring mount on the left is the M49, which was fitted to the M3A1.  Are you sure the other one existed?

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 11:54:32 pm »
These components look very good - especially the racks.  Not sure where the stowage boxes fit in though - maybe they belong to a different version?
The stowage boxes fit right onto the rack.

There was no M3A2 - it was planned as a replacement for the various types, but never went into production.  The ring mount on the left is the M49, which was fitted to the M3A1.  Are you sure the other one existed?
There are prototypes for the M3A2.  The difference between the M3 and M3A2 are minimal, that's why we have included them for possible release.  The IDF had done similar upgrades to existing M3 and M3A1 after the war and had used them thereafter.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 12:17:22 am »
There are prototypes for the M3A2.  The difference between the M3 and M3A2 are minimal, that's why we have included them for possible release.  The IDF had done similar upgrades to existing M3 and M3A1 after the war and had used them thereafter.

Not sure I understand.  You're going to include the M3A2 prototype as an option?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:34:30 am by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 12:35:24 am »
Not sure I understand.  You're going to induce the M3A2 prototype as an option?

We have not decided yet... depending on how much space we have left on the sprues.  After WW2, the M3 was still in use during the Korean War and by the Israeli... we might attract some customers from that era!

As a matter of fact, we have other variants drawn up as well, but not shown.  We might replace the M3A2 with those!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 01:04:10 am »
It's your call, of course, but I can't see much to be gained from including a version that never saw service. 

The IDF used M3s and M3A1s, which were (prior to the 70's) either unmodified or heavily customised with turrets etc. 

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 05:59:41 am »
Some M3 types , mortar carriers and SPGs , did have stowage boxes of various sizes or racks either side of the rear door, so those parts are great for us kit bashers . I'm thinking the second type of 50 cal ring was an IDF modification post WW 2 , I don't see any of that type on the WW 2 half track pictures in my books . Aside from that , the kit parts look great .

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 11:34:03 am »
Some M3 types , mortar carriers and SPGs , did have stowage boxes of various sizes or racks either side of the rear door, so those parts are great for us kit bashers . I'm thinking the second type of 50 cal ring was an IDF modification post WW 2 , I don't see any of that type on the WW 2 half track pictures in my books . Aside from that , the kit parts look great .
The rear stowage rack and the revised gun ring are based on the M3A2 design (which was not produced), and was adapted by some M3A1s during the Korea War, and later by the IDF, all post-WW2.  We have drawn them up as part of our digital library collection because these modifications are minor and easy to draw.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 01:10:37 pm by Rubicon Models »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 01:00:00 pm »
The stowage racks appeared on WW2 M3A1s and M5A1s (and, as a result, on some IDF half-tracks).  Your version of the stowage racks looks great, and I hope you include them in your kit.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 02:10:05 pm »
More images on the chassis/body of the M3...

Enjoy!
;)