Author Topic: M3/M3A1 Half-Track Personnel Carrier - M21 MMC TS1 Plastic 170118  (Read 76257 times)

airborne

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: M3/M3A1 Half-Track Personnel Carrier
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2015, 03:30:15 am »
I am so loving this machine . I had the opportunity  to crew in one at a show at Gloucester really awesome I`ve never forgot it.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2015, 03:04:58 pm »
This is our initial design of the decal sheet for the M3/M3A1 half track.  Comments and suggestions welcome!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2015, 04:33:43 pm »
OMG - more decals!  And the truly insane can even make up their own serial numbers!!

Only one real comment - as with the M5A1, the Free French markings should include their colourful serial numbers.

The bridge plate seems to have been 9 or 10, but there are virtually no photos of actual vehicles with them.  There must be a definitive reference for this somewhere!

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:07:23 pm by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2015, 04:42:53 pm »
OMG - more decals!  And the truly insane can even make up their own serial numbers!!
This is why I am getting "Waterslide Decal Sickness"... no decals for at least a month for me!

Only one real comment - as with the M5A1, the Free French markings should include their colourful serial numbers.
Again, no space!  Will think of various decal sheets later, but definitely not now!  You can give suggestions of what kind of sheets are needed!

The bridge plate seems to have been 9 or 10, but there are virtually not photos of actual vehicles with them.  There must be a definitive reference for this somewhere!
This I can comprise!  Will do both (9) and (10) on this one!

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2015, 04:59:00 pm »
Maybe drop the map of France symbol? It seems less important than the French serial number.  You did a nice job doing them for the M5A1/M8.  Otherwise your French version is a bit incomplete.  Don't let decal fatigue lead to corner cutting!

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2015, 05:47:43 pm »
Maybe drop the map of France symbol? It seems less important than the French serial number.  You did a nice job doing them for the M5A1/M8.  Otherwise your French version is a bit incomplete.  Don't let decal fatigue lead to corner cutting!
Don't want to start an argument... really exhausted switching between reference material and the computer displays!

Not much references on the Free French licence plate for the M3, only 1 picture (from reenactment) showing a single plate on the unditching roller.  Should be on the sides just like the American.  Did two plates with the same number... or should I do two plates with different numbers?

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2015, 06:19:55 pm »
How about a US armoured infantry symbol? ;)
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2015, 07:02:09 pm »
Not much references on the Free French licence plate for the M3, only 1 picture (from reenactment) showing a single plate on the unditching roller.  Should be on the sides just like the American.  Did two plates with the same number... or should I do two plates with different numbers?

Here are paintings of 2 Free French half-tracks from Zaloga's Osprey book on the US half-track.  This book isn't 100% reliable (it's quite an old title now and Zaloga's artwork has improved since), but these paintings are based on photos.  There's also a photo of a French Foreign Legion half-track below.  The top painting shows how the serial number was applied to front of the winch version.  It looks as though the serial number was painted behind the roller on the other version.  Can't blame you if you're fed up with this though...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:11:42 pm by Pinky »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2015, 07:47:20 pm »
...and here's what Track 48 did.  I reckon a couple of basic French-style serial numbers would do it.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2015, 11:40:59 am »
Painted up M3 & M3A1 from our Test Shot #1 plastic...

Enjoy!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2015, 12:03:44 pm »
Well that does look good.  The moulded detail is really well done.  The fully armed M3A1 is especially nice - great work on the machine guns and the rear stowage racks.  I think my favourite version is the basic M3, partly because I want one for my Afrika Korps.

I'm not going to re-open the discussion about the radio and stowage boxes.  They still don't look right to me, but they're optional and I doubt anyone's going to mind.  Overall, it looks very superior to Warlord's kit.  Could we have a side view of the wheels and tracks?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:47:49 pm by Pinky »

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2015, 05:22:35 pm »
Without being an expert, I think it looks very good. Lots of options for the bits box.

I suppose you are going to do this one Pinky?

(from http://beutepanzer.ru/Beutepanzer/us/M3_halftrack/halftrack-02.htm)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2015, 09:46:16 pm »
I suppose you are going to do this one Pinky?

Yes, that's it, although I might Germanise it a bit more.  The Germans captured a lot of half-tracks during the initial fighting around Kasserine Pass (that photo is from a series showing 10th Panzer withdrawing from Kasserine - half their transport consists of captured vehicles).  Some were used entirely unchanged, while others were repainted and re-marked.  With Rubicon's Ausf C in the works, I was thinking of a mixture of M3s and Ausf Cs. 

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2016, 08:59:07 pm »
Is there any plan for at 75mm AT or 75mm/105mm howitzer versions? Armoured ambulance?

Is the M21 still likely?
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2016, 09:02:28 pm »
Is there any plan for at 75mm AT or 75mm/105mm howitzer versions? Armoured ambulance?

Yes, an AT version is planned, but probably not this year.

Is the M21 still likely?

The M21 is long done, awaiting crew sculpts... should be Q3 or Q4!