Author Topic: Focusing on the more useful kits – wake up and smell the molded plastic!  (Read 29506 times)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
With only two or three compaines making 1:56 scale plastic kits, after reading this someone might wonder why don't these two to three companies want to work together instead of against each other? Because it seems like a waste of resources when we get almost the same plastic kit from two or three different companies.

My sense is that Warlord have deliberately undercut Rubicon in several cases.  I can't prove it, but their releases have tended to track Rubicon's (Rubicon appear to have a longer lead time from announcement to release).  I bet Warlord see Rubicon as pretenders in a market they'd pretty much created (plastic 1/56 scale vehicles).   

A are a few examples:
8.8cm Flak Gun (RM & Italeri) - both more than good enough for the gaming table. (1)
Jadgpanzer 38(t) (RM & Italeri) - both more than good enough for the gaming table. (2)
Panther Tank (RM & Italeri) - both more than good enough for the gaming table.
M8/M20 Armored Car - both more than good enough for the gaming table.
Tiger I (RM & Italeri) - both more than good enough for the gaming table. (3)
Stug III (RM & Italeri) - both more than good enough for the gaming table. (4)
M10 TD (RM & Italeri) - both more than good enough for the gaming table. (5)
M3 Halfrack (RM & Warlord*) - both more than good enough for the gaming table.
SdKfz 251 Halfrack (RM & Warlord*) - both more than good enough for the gaming table.
Opel Blitz/Maultier (RM & Warlord*) - both more than good enough for the gaming table. (6)
* There is another company that makes plastic kits for Warlord Games, but I'm not 100% sure who it is. Plastic Soldier Company?

I would caveat some of those comments.  You're correct about them all being servicable wargaming models, but there are still significant differences in quality and detail.

Warlord/Italeri's 88 doesn't include plastic crew, and they didn't do the tractor in plastic.
I think Warlord's Panther is noticeably better, provided you like Zimmerit.  However, the tracks are a bit annoying.
Rubicon's M8/M20 is, I think, more crisply detailed and with complete wheels.
Warlord/Italeri's late Tiger I is better than Rubicon's, but Rubicon's kit makes a nice early Tiger (with a bit of work).
Rubicon's StuG III is, unfortunately, rather inaccurate.  Warlord/Italeri's is greatly superior - apart from the tracks and the limited options.
I thought the detail on Warlord/Italeri's M10 was rather soft, and the crew were pretty horrible.  While Rubcon's M10/M36 has a few issues, I think it's much better (and you get the M36, which is rather good from a wargaming perspective).
I think Rubicon's SdKfz 251 and M3 halftracks are vastly superior to Warlord's.
I don't have the Warlord Opel kit - it looks like better value in terms of options, which is unusual.
There are also the Sherman kits, which partly overlap (Rubicon hasn't yet done an M4A4 and Warlord only has that and the M4).  Here, I think the Rubicon kits are also vastly superior, not just in terms of detail and ease of assembly, but also the range of options.  This is where competition has helped us, because Rubicon have looked at what Warlord did and improved upon it.

PSC appears to be supplying designs for some kits - you can tell from the scaled-up figures (identical to PSC's), component layout and oversize details. 

Shahbahraz

• Cadet
    • View Profile
For me, yes, it has to be a vehicle that will sell well, but it would be nice if it wasn't so ubiquitous that everyone already had one.

So -
German
Pz II
Early Pz III
later war 8 wheeled German armoured car variants, (Stummel, Pak40 etc.)
US
Chaffee
Pershing
UK
Comet
Vickers VIb & c
Matilda II
Soviet
T70
BT7

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Pinky I agree with you, but it would be good to make a few notes for those that might not know yet.

Warlord/Italeri's 88 doesn't include plastic crew, and they didn't do the tractor in plastic.
The Warlord kit (plastic from Italeri) has metal crew, but the separately released kit by Italeri includes plastic crew.

Rubicon's M8/M20 is, I think, more crisply detailed and with complete wheels.
I have both the Rubicon Mpdels kit and the Italeri kit. To be honest, it would be very difficult to recommend one over the other.

Warlord/Italeri's late Tiger I is better than Rubicon's, but Rubicon's kit makes a nice early Tiger (with a bit of work).
Out of interest, I have used the plastic tracks from the Italeri Tiger I kit on the Rubicon Models Tiger I kit. It works! But some modelling skill is needed. I only converted one, but I like the look of the Italeri tracks on the Rubicon Models kit. However, if you want the early rubber wheeled, well, then you have to wait for the resin set from Rubicon Models.

I don't have the Warlord Opel kit - it looks like better value in terms of options, which is unusual.
I can assure any gamer that both the Warlord kit and the Rubicon Models kits are well worth getting, though I think the RM kits are a bit better. That being said, the Warlord kit has an edge because it can be built as either a truck or a mule, whereas you have to get two separate kits from Rubicon Models to do this.

There are also the Sherman kits, which partly overlap (Rubicon hasn't yet done an M4A4 and Warlord only has that and the M4). 
Hands down, I highly recommend Rubicon Models M4 kits!
That being said, my first plastic M4 was the Warlord "M4 Sherman medium tank" (WGB-AI-502) kit, and it was so superior to their resin POS kit that it started my trend of replacing all my resin/metal vehicles with plastic kits. Even though the track tension doesn't look properly maintained on the Italeri kit, I have to say that the Italeri M4 plastic kit is a very good plastic kit that builds up easily to make a great gaming model! I'm not sorry I bought Warlord plastic M4, but I recommend getting the Italeri packaged kit instead of the Warlord packaged kit. Same holds true with all the Italeri kits really.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
For me, yes, it has to be a vehicle that will sell well, but it would be nice if it wasn't so ubiquitous that everyone already had one.

So -
German
Pz II
Early Pz III
later war 8 wheeled German armoured car variants, (Stummel, Pak40 etc.)
US
Chaffee
Pershing
UK
Comet
Vickers VIb & c
Matilda II
Soviet
T70
BT7
The Matilda is available in plastic, as is the SDKFZ 234/2.

Now a 234 with proper wheels and a range of weapons would be good.
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2017/06/sdkfz-2342-puma-revisited.html

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Except for the hollow wheels the Italeri Puma is a pretty good kit IMO . Could have had a separate driver's hatch , but that's just me wanting to add crew figures surrendering to US troops ( saw a real neat video ) . And really unless you want to depict it with turned wheels ( not fun to get all 8  looking just right ) you don't notice the lack of wheel backs . All though why they went to all the trouble with all the steering / suspension parts and went cheap on the wheels I don't know . And why they didn't expand the base kit to make the other versions is strange to me . That being said , the 234/1 & 234/3 are easy conversions using parts from Rubicon's 250/251 add on kits . Not too sure about the 234/4 , probably doable with Rubicon's 75mm gun , I just not brave enough to try that kit bash yet .  And yes I think if someone was to produce  a line of 8 wheeled German armored cars ( 231 /232 , and all the 234s ) would be great

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
@Ripley - I agree that the 234/2 is only let down by the wheels, and no spares of the steering for those who lose them^__^.

Shahbahraz

• Cadet
    • View Profile
I know there's a plastic Matilda, but I understand it only has limited options. So I can't build a BEF version or an Aussie one from this kit. (I believe).

I also know there's a Puma, (somehow I ended up with two of them), but the range of Sdkfz 234+ variants would be nice as add on kits, or even the earlier 231 series, which saw extensive service before being withdrawn in favour of the Sdkfz 250 as a recce vehicle. 

Finally, the one I forgot to add was the Panzer I & variants.

And of course any of the French tanks, carriers etc, saw service in German hands. But that might be going too far. 

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
There is an instruction sheet picture of the Bolt Action / Italeri  Matilda on page 15 , What's Warlords Up to in general Discussions , seems to show both style  ( dessert / Russia ) and BEF ( more exposed ) wheels set/side skirts . Plus options for single or twin exhaust ( skid tail ? ) , so you might be in luck . I've kit bashed the Puma into a 234/3 using the Rubicon Stummel add on kit and another member of the forum ( sorry name escapes me ) has added the late 20mm turret , again from a Rubicon add on kit to make the 234/1 . A 234/4 could probably be kit bashed from the pak 75 kit , its just a matter of taking the plunge and cutting plastic . I find it a lot more fun to build my own vehicle versions than waiting for a kit to drop , don't you ?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
There is an instruction sheet picture of the Bolt Action / Italeri  Matilda on page 15 , What's Warlords Up to in general Discussions , seems to show both style  ( dessert / Russia ) and BEF ( more exposed ) wheels set/side skirts . Plus options for single or twin exhaust ( skid tail ? ) , so you might be in luck .
Here it is.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 05:06:14 am by ultravanillasmurf »

Shahbahraz

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Thank you for that. Very promising, though it doesn't appear to include the trench-crossing skid.

And yes, I don't mind kit bashing, and I may even attack one of my pre-built Pumas with the Stummel add on, though as they are both built, it could be a bit tricky.

I still want a plastic 231 8 rad though. And Panzer Is, although the Panzer II hunger has been assuaged a little with a Warlord resin one from Carronade yesterday.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
I think part 38 on the instruction sheet is the trench skid , just like picture , exhaust pipe on left side . It doesn't look like the ones on the French tanks , it's more of a box shape . What ever works I guess

BEF Matilda , ( note co ax Vickers ) trench skid ( box )

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
I think part 38 on the instruction sheet is the trench skid , just like picture , exhaust pipe on left side . It doesn't look like the ones on the French tanks , it's more of a box shape . What ever works I guess

BEF Matilda , ( note co ax Vickers ) trench skid ( box )
That is the bustle ^__^.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
And Panzer Is
I can recommend the Empress Panzer I (I have the Breda armed one).

More here: http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/search/label/Panzer%20I%20ausf%20B
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:14:12 am by ultravanillasmurf »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Would a plastic model kit of a Panzer I be good? Well yes, but before seeing a Panzer I kit, I truly hope that we see see plastic kits of the following German vehicles added first:

SdKfz 10 half-track
Panzer II Ausf A-F
SdKfz 231 8-Rad armored car
StuG III Ausf A-E

These would be some of the more wanted and used common items that the average miniature gamer will want and need for their games.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
I hope the new book from Osprey Publishing inspires a future release of a new plastic kit.