Author Topic: UVS models: Salute 2021 11/12/2020  (Read 199682 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: UVS models
« Reply #285 on: October 25, 2017, 03:57:00 pm »
Thanks for the interesting photographs.

I found this while looking for other photographs.

http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article/cmp-2-lber-portee-photo-feature/6312

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 25, 2017, 09:05:24 pm »
I've seen Chris's Churchill stuff before , but not this truck . The gun looks do able , but I'm not to sure about scratching up the ground mount for it . If only we had a few more companies making 1/56 kits , it might make kit mingling easier

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #287 on: November 03, 2017, 06:51:10 am »
Slow motion on the jeep front.

I have added two jerry cans to the bonnet. One is from the Allied set (with the W^D logo), the other from the German set.

Two magazine pouches have been added in front of the driver. Additional soft stowage and tin hats have still to be added.

One of the straps has sprung loose.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 06:57:51 am by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 03, 2017, 08:21:44 am »
Looking good . I have the same  problem making straps out of thin plastic stock  ::) , I found if you pull it over a thin object ( very small screw driver for ex ) you will give it a bit of a curl making it easier to work with . Think making ribbon curls to decorate  Xmas prezzies

:-[
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:24:49 am by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #289 on: December 11, 2017, 06:46:13 am »
Just started work on my M4A3E8.

Going for a late model with HVSS.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #290 on: December 13, 2017, 03:07:22 am »
Continuing work on the M4A3E8.

Following Pinky's suggestion, I have been using Tamiya Extra Thin cement.

The gun mantlet has been the main problem, the contact points are rather small.

Other than that it has been fine (the upper and lower parts of the turret took some smoothing).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 04:23:45 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 13, 2017, 10:55:53 am »
It's a nice kit to build, isn't it.  I ended up leaving off the stowage brackets on the turret rear, as they are a bit fragile.  I put stowage there instead.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #292 on: December 13, 2017, 05:27:35 pm »
It is a very nice kit.

I took some more photographs last night, the kit is finished (except for the HMG stowage and the bow MG, the latter goes on at the last because it is so vulnerable, the former for simar reasons).

As an amusing aside, I managed to break the ruggedised M2 on the sprue, not sure how, but the early turret lost its aerial as well.

I had left the cupola off, but having dropped it on the floor twice I glued it on. Then remembered why I had left it off, because I needed to remove the M2 mount on the roof - it will have the mount forward of the commander's hatch.

The only things missing are the infantry telephone and the first aid box.

Good idea on the HMG stowage.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #293 on: December 14, 2017, 03:28:14 am »
Some more work in progress

Infantry telephone for better tank - infantry cooperation.

Three quarter rear view showing the rack of jerry cans.

The cans are built with the two cans and the four can moulding from the kit plus two cans cut from the four can moulding from the Allied Stowage set.

The white mark on the turret roof is where I have plugged the HMG position before removal.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 14, 2017, 08:56:06 am »
Looking good . I see you added  lift rings to the turret sides , does any others have to be replaced ? And are you going to add a more cast texture to the turret and nose ? Do you have a tank picture in mind that your trying to replicate or are you doing your own thing stowage wise ?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #295 on: December 14, 2017, 04:11:37 pm »
Thanks.

I have drilled the lift ring above the mantlet, the two on the glacis and the two at the back. Not sure if I would have been better replacing them. The ones at the back are difficult because of the angle.

I will use the liquid poly type stippling, I still have the HMG mounting point to smooth off.

I am looking for a post war look, not sure whether to go for that Tokyo Ordnance Depot style or more of an IDF look. Not convinced about a spare wheel on the turret, and the spare sprockets would be entertaining to make.

Not completely convinced the blanket shelf would be good for 160kg.

Currently mislaid my Osprey Sherman 76mm modeling book, so stowage is still to be designed.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 14, 2017, 09:53:45 pm »
Yea , sometimes drilling out the lift rings is a real pain , but then again so is trying to make 6 or 7 brass / wire lift rings that match   ::) . An IDF Sherman would look cool . Can't find any weight limits for the blanket shelf . BUT , on both Armorama and Missing Lynx , guys fill them up with Jerry cans and other heavy stuff on their models all the time  , and no one seems to have a problem with it comment wise , and guys there do comment on stuff like that , long and loudly . IRC the name blanket shelf  is what the Brits called it
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:16:12 pm by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #297 on: January 03, 2018, 05:18:21 pm »
Thanks.

One minor thing missing from the kit are spare bogie wheels for the HVSS. One of the features of the Korean War tanks refitted in Tokyo is the spare wheel. This is also the case on the IDF ones.

Thinking about it, there must be fitting on the turret or hull, so it would be possible to just add the mount.

If anyone knows how they are mounted, that would be useful.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:21:29 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

somtec

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 03, 2018, 09:21:14 pm »
Dont know how the spare wheels were mounted on US shermans but the Israelis had what i'll call a short tube welded to hull, on the end was a flat circular plate with  bolts the size of plate and bolts matched the wheel. Heres a photo of one on a m4a1 hull m51 sherman same as on all other Israeli shermans.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 03, 2018, 10:59:45 pm »
Some pictures of spare wheel mounting

US in WW2

US ( ? ) in Korea

Canada in Korea

Royal Canadian Dragoons , Korea . Note Centurian track on turret ( begged , borrowed or stolen ? )