Author Topic: 280062 SdKfz 222/223 Light Armoured Car  (Read 7175 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
280062 SdKfz 222/223 Light Armoured Car
« on: October 09, 2018, 02:03:46 am »
Assembly Instruction for SdKfz 222/223 Light Armoured Car

Last Update: 181009

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: 280062 SdKfz 222/223 Light Armoured Car
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 05:15:34 pm »
The SdKfz 222 / SdKfz 223 kit from Rubicon Models is a great kit and highly recommended for gamers and modelers alike. Keep in mind that the kit is primarily marketed for miniature gamers, this is why we have a step 3 for drilling holes for the Width Markers. I really like this idea! It is so much easier to drill holes than to fill them. Good job Rubicon Models!

As usual, Rubicon Models’ assembly instructions are really good, but that being said, they could have made a few more notes for the modeler. However, I am aware of the dangers of overwhelming the modeler with information. That being said, I would like to add a few notes of my own.

Step 1:
After removing part A03 from the sprue, be sure to carefully clear out the plastic from the guide channel for the rear fenders. If you do this, you will be rewarded with a perfect fit.

Step 6:
For the 222, parts B04, B05, and B17 are also Optional Parts and not just part B28. However, part B28 seems to be less optional on mid to late 222s.

Step 8a
Except for part B32, all the other parts listed in this step are Optional Parts. In fact, you can even include all the Optional Parts in step 9e as choices when assembling.
Note about Part B33 - This part can also be installed on the 222 (Optional).
Note about part B14 - If being installed on the 222, this part can also be installed as shown in step 9f. With or without part B33 being installed. From photographs, this seems to be more common.

Step 8d
There is a small circle protrusion on part E11 that should be shaved off. This will make the part fit perfectly into part E15.

Step 8e
Dry fit this part first! Part C19 has a very tight fit. Some finesse and adjustment is needed to get this part to fit properly. The part should be flush, but can easily protrude up past even if a little. Some extra work and skill is needed to make this part fit correctly.

Step 11
There is no guide marks for part B15. Just place the part so that it stops on the bottom rail and just in front of the rear fender.

Once again, this 222/223 kit is another excellent plastic model kit from Rubicon Models, and my notes above are just additional information to help the modeler build this very nice kit.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 08:17:44 pm »
Thanks for the info , tracks .  A lot of the optional placement of parts in the kit has to do with there being 6 versions of this car built by 4 manufacturers . Little changes like welded or one piece cast and size of the vision ports help identify these . The same with placement of the on vehicle tools ( shovel , etc ) and the jack .  The Rubicon kit , like pretty much all the 1/35 kits of this car are a combination of versions . Typical of German vehicles of  it's  time , new parts were added before the older parts had been discontinued ,so you get a real mish mash of looks . Best thing to do IMO is find a photo you like and build the kit to match . FYI part B21 are an early war version of the smoke canisters  , IRC they were phased out around the time of the  Russian road trip

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 07:08:39 pm »
Good info and advice ripley, thanks.
For those wanting to learn more, I recommend the following books:

Nuts & Bolts Vol.04 Sdkfz 222 & 223 by H. Duske, T. Greenland, F. Schulz
Panzerspahwagen by Uwe Feist and Robert Johnson (Ryton publication version)
Waffen-Arsenal 086 - Deutsche Leichte Panzerspahwagen (this book is in German)
Panzer Tracts No.13-1 which covers the SdKfz 221, 222, 223, 260 and 161

There are other books from Osprey, Squadron-Signal, and others that cover all the types of German armored cars, but the books I listed above are specific. There might be more books that focus on the 222/223 German armored car that I'm not aware of, so a little research can go a long way.