Author Topic: Kettenkrad  (Read 3640 times)

Captain Blood

• Private
    • View Profile
Kettenkrad
« on: October 21, 2019, 06:48:07 pm »
Rubicon kettenkrad and a few more DAK figures... It really is a delightful little model.

And with some new figures...

Mise-en-scene...

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Kettenkrad
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 10:37:16 pm »
That looks fantastic . Just the right amount of faded paint and dust . Love the figures  and the oasis too.   You could give the wheel rims a dark wash as they were rubber , as was the outside rim of the sprocket and the square pads on the track .  Why did the Germans make all their halfd track type vehicles so complicated ( torsion bar suspension , inter weaved wheels , a weird sprocket with some sort of rollers instead of teeth ) ? They look cool but I wouldn't want to have to try and keep running

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 10:39:03 pm by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 03:40:20 am »
Very nice work.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 11:01:17 am »
Nice work CB, and I like the figures you created.
Are the figures a mix of parts from Perry Miniatures and Rubicon Models?

Captain Blood

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 06:03:50 pm »
Thanks gents :)

ripley: I think I'd struggle to get much onto a tyre TBH. The available amount of tyre around the circumference of wheels this small is so tiny as to be almost invisible. But I guess you're right, I could just put a darker wash around that rim, but honestly at tabletop distance it would be completely invisible to the naked eye.

Tracks: Yes, the driver and seated crewman are two of the three Rubicon figures that come with the kit, although I've given the driver a Perry field cap, and the passenger a Perry head with a Green Stuff haircut.
As usual, I'm afraid I have to criticise the Rubicon figures slightly. I really wish their crew figures were as utterly brilliant as their vehicle kits. The driver here is actually a pretty hopeless figure. His arms are anatomically too long, bendy looking and the sleeves way too creased and baggy. The face is narrow and amorphous with any detail on it thanks to the soft detailing.
The two seated crew figures are, to be fair, better.
But if we are to think of Rubicon as the Tamiya of the 1/56 military modelling kit world, then like Tamiya, Rubicon are going to have to make their crew and infantry figures as sharply detailed and brilliant as their AFVs and vehicles. I'm afraid at the moment, they're still falling short at times.

The two figures on foot are Perry plastic creations, although that is a Rubicon field cap on the NCO. I had to shave the back down a bit, but the overall shape of the cap is much better than Rubicon's previous attempts at this item of headgear, which is a step in the right direction, so a plus mark for that  :)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 10:35:54 am »
As usual, I'm afraid I have to criticise the Rubicon figures slightly. I really wish their crew figures were as utterly brilliant as their vehicle kits.

I know what you mean. I still have not finished my Kettenkrad for that reason. I still need to adjust the crew figures. I think I said this before, but I wished that the Rubicon Models figures were more like Perry Miniatures figures. To be clear, Perry Miniatures WW2 plastic figures and not their WW2 metal figures.