Author Topic: 280076 Panzer IV Ausf D/E  (Read 3696 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
280076 Panzer IV Ausf D/E
« on: July 03, 2019, 09:38:47 pm »
Assembly Instruction for Panzer IV Ausf D/E

Last Update: 190703

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: 280076 Panzer IV Ausf D/E
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 03:58:06 pm »
Simple advice for new modellers., so if you are not new there is no reason to read this:

The new Rubicon Models Panzer IV Ausf D/E is a wonderful plastic model kit, but extra modeling skill and/or care is needed when assembling this fantastic kit because a slight misfit - even if only a fraction of a millimeter - could cause issues and gap lines. Because of the fine precision made parts, you have tight and close tolerances to work with. Not a problem what-so-ever for an experienced model maker, but might cause disappointment for someone not used to the fine art of model making. As a result, they might not get the bits to fit perfectly. Also, read the instructions carefully, because sometimes it says assemble part-X to part-X first (the turret note). I can't see why that is, but I followed the instructions for assembling the turret and I got a perfect fit in the end - no gaps or seams. The parts are almost a perfect fit. I say "almost" because a little effort was needed to make the parts fit perfectly.

Also, dry fitting can pay off. For example, when I dry fitted part C04 to parts A05 + B25 I had a small gap at the front. By dry fitting I found out why. I took my hobby knife and shaved off the bottom edge (hidden when assembled) at the front and got a perfect fit with no gap what-so-ever. When you dry fit these parts, you will see what I'm talking about. It didn't take much to get it to fit perfectly, and you could also file the edge. Careful to remove only the bottom edge though.

Overall, this is a great plastic model kit. My fear is that when the molds start to age and show some wear and tear, I think the precision parts are going to have some issues as well as molding flash.