Author Topic: Antennas  (Read 4632 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Antennas
« on: December 04, 2019, 10:51:41 am »
What do people use for antennas?

Marcin

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: Antennas
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 03:32:34 pm »
I use fibers from a car snow brush. Something like that

Depending on type, they used to have different thicknesses of fibers so I looked for correct one in few markets.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:12:28 am by Marcin »
"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory." - G.S. Patton

Old Guard

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 08:17:25 pm »
yep I concur with that although I use a cheaper brush. easy to install. Flexible, easy to replace if damaged

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 11:31:14 pm »
I use some really thin ( 1/2 mm ? ) fiber optic cable  left over from my model train days , on my display models that stay on my shelves . And I use 0.8mm Plastruct plastic rod on my game vehicles . I drill a hole in vehicle and insert antenna , no glue . Mostly they pop out if you snag them , and if they do break , it's easy to fish the piece out and replace . With about 10ft of rod in the Plastruct pack , I've got lots of rod to make more .

Jaeger

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 09:05:04 am »
I got a broom from Menard's, O'cedar?  Plastic bristles like the snow brush above.

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 05:57:49 pm »
 Much like many here I’ve tended to use the bristles from a brush, (in this case, nylon ones from a brush that goes with the household dustpan - my other half is beginning to wonder about it’s increasing baldness).
 As the bristles are quite thin (a reasonable scale approximation) I usually glue them into a small plug of plastic rod, (I cut the rod in half lengthwise & make a small groove for the bristle in it with a triangular rat-tail file) this makes it easier to attach them to the vehicle.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 04:06:34 pm »
@Ballardian -neat idea.

CuorDiLeone

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 06:59:08 am »
I use fibers from a broom   :D

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 07:22:55 am »
Dish cleaning brush.
Hundreds of antenna for 50p

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 09:26:09 am »
A long time ago I made antennas from stretch plastic sprue by heating up a section with a candle. I got the idea from from the kit's instructions.

I experimented with several other materials like fishing line, piano wire, and such, but now I just use black synthetic fibers from a broom.

Different brooms have different sizes and quality of fibers. Find and choose the one that is best for your needs.