Author Topic: Thailand and Rubicon Models' plastic kits.  (Read 5611 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Thailand and Rubicon Models' plastic kits.
« on: February 20, 2019, 06:27:11 pm »
Hello fellow Rubicon Models fans. I have to report some bad news. As of last January, 2019, my primary source for getting Rubicon Models is no longer an option. I only recently learned of this situation when I did a follow up on an order I placed sometime ago, and it never arrived.

I live in Thailand and I do not know of any local stores/retailers that stocks/carries kits from Rubicon Models, so I will not be getting any new kits anytime soon.

Yes, online mail order is an option, but usually the shipping costs (especially if shipped from the US or UK) is as high or higher than the cost of the model kits themselves. The shipping costs from online sites which are closer to Thailand like Mr. Hobby in Japan, Fun Atelier in Hong Kong, and War and Peace Games in Australia isn't much better either.

In short, no more Rubicon Models for me until I can find a new source. Or when I travel to countries that have hobby/game/model stores that happen to have Rubicon Models kits that I want.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Thailand and Rubicon Models' plastic kits.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 07:34:14 am »
Tracks - that sucks.  Do you need some specific kits?  I live in HK, within relatively easy reach of Rubicon's HQ.  Maybe I can arrange a shipment to you.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 06:00:58 pm »
I feel for you, for me to post stock from the UK to Thailand I’m looking at a minimum of £18.25.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 02:04:46 am »
Shipping rates / Postage are crazy no matter where you live . I live Canada , and  I'm
getting stuff out of the States for about 1/3 to 1/2 the price for shipping as the item I've purchased . It's not too bad if I pick up an OOP Cd by an obscure band I like for $5 US , with postage it ends up being about $10 Canadian , it's the $50 - $80 US model kits that really hit hard . Most of the time its cheaper to buy it at the LHS . Really sucks when you don't even that option anymore though

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 09:04:09 am »
UK I usually have to do around £3-5 depending on how many boxes. The Rubicon boxes are awkwardly sized for UK post.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 07:02:57 pm »
Pinky, thank you for the kind offer, but we'll just call that a last resort if all fails. Being so close to Rubicon's HQ must be nice.

True, I didn't get the Kübelwagens I ordered :'(, but for now I'll just have to put my RM purchasing on hold. 

Even though I have assembled and painted a dozen RM kits, maybe this downtime on purchasing new RM kits will give me time to catch up and complete the over a dozen kits that I still have that need to be assemble and painted.

The good news is that in July of this year, there is a very good chance I will see a good friend of mine from the US. He said it will be no problem in packing a few plastic model kits. Also, unlike metal and resin 1/56th (28mm) vehicle kits, he said that plastic vehicle kits are lighter and gives him the least trouble at airport security checks. The Power of Plastic.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 11:05:21 am »
The Holidays came early for me this year because I recently got my once a year set of Rubicon Models kits. Yes, I said once a year. Better late than never, yes?

For you guys, these new kits are probably old news by now, but more me, the kits below (except for the T-34) are very much new kits.  Oh, and I finally got my Kubels! :)

And yes, I am aware that it's too late to take advantage of the replacement metal gun barrels, but that is okay. I'm just happy to get these new kits. :)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 02:22:13 pm »
@Tracks, we know your pain...

Spend some time checking our channel partner list and get you this:

Crystal Trading Co., Ltd.
95/3 Sukhumvit 63, Sukhumvit Road
Klongton – Nua, Vadhana
Bangkok 10110
Thailand

Tel   : 66-2-3922566
Fax  : 66-2-7115078

They had recently ordered some of our Q2/19 releases.  This might be a good opportunity for you (and your friends) to secure a good source in Thailand.  Hope this help!  ;)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 11:24:40 am »
@RM - Thanks for the information. I will follow up on this.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 12:02:11 pm »
Quote from: Rubicon Models
Crystal Trading Co., Ltd.
95/3 Sukhumvit 63, Sukhumvit Road
Klongton – Nua, Vadhana  Bangkok 10110
Thailand

@RM You can take Crystal Trading Co off your list. We contacted them but only get bad news. They told us that "We regret to inform you that we stopped importing the Rubicon Model kits as the demand is nearly zero in Thailand."

Bad News:
We have made a couple of attempts to get Rubicon Models plastic kits here in Thailand. Sadly, its just not really possible. The only way to get them is to order them from overseas places - with the high shipping costs that goes along with that.

Even More Bad News.
Because of the current outbreak and scare of coronavirus, we will not be flying out, and friends will not be flying in, so we will not be getting the once a year package of Rubicon Models kits.

The strange thing is that the FLGS can get Bolt Action (Warlord Games) plastic model kits.
Just not Rubicon Models plastic model kits.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:48:24 pm by Tracks »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 12:38:21 pm »
@Tracks, sorry to hear that.  We are aware of the situation with Crystal Trading.

Currently, we are fine-tuning our own Webstore for the Asia Pacific.  Once done, we should be able to support our customers who had difficulty purchasing our products in the region.  We are also looking at shipping charges as well.