Author Topic: IS-2 and family  (Read 4571 times)

Yvonmukluk

• Cadet
    • View Profile
IS-2 and family
« on: August 10, 2018, 08:58:06 pm »
I was browsing through the product catalogue (as one does), and I was pondering the Soviets. Obviously the most iconic vehicles (the T-34 and the Katyusha) have been included, but the Soviets are rather behind the curve when it comes to releases.

One option which I'd very much like to see is Rubicon to take on the IS family of tanks, primarily in this regard the IS-2. While not as famous or as numerous as the T-34, it was a mainstay of the Soviet war machine towards the end of the war.

There would also be a few variants to develop - The IS-85/IS-1, the 1943 & 1944 hull options for the IS-2, and lastly the postwar IS-2M, all of which would I believe have a great deal of commonality.

I feel this would be an excellent addition to Rubicon's catalogue.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: IS-2 and family
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 09:47:58 pm »
While I think Rubicon would would do a fantastic job of the JS family , with Warlord already having JS II in plastic , it probably wouldn't be a profitable venture .  I would like to see Rubicon release a ISU - 122/152 SPG , the same kind of dual kit like their SU -122/85 kit .. The problem being is they would have to start the ISU from scratch , the SU kit used an already mastered T-34 hull . That being said ,you never know what Rubicon might do in the future . Here's a view of my Warlord JS II  ( turret texture / mold lines added by me )

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 10:07:16 pm »
I'd rather see a Rubicon KV-1/2 kit. The Warlord one is fine...but rubicon...maybe add a KV-85 turret and an S turret.

IS wise I'd like to see the 1 and 2

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 12:05:58 am »
The warlord KV kit has a few problems in that on the KV II they missed the pistol ports on the turret sides. and they missed the tow cables and the hook mounts for them on the hull sides . How you could do that I don't know as they are a very prominent feature on all WW2 Russian tanks . The KV I turret has the hatch and hatch machine gun swivel ring molded as one piece , its OK if you want a closed hatch , but way too big if you want it open . Also only the KV II hatch , IRC , has interior detail ( I'm at work so can't check my kits ) . And I agree , we need more KV versions
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 12:14:37 am by ripley »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 02:54:09 am »
Rubicon will be releasing a T-26 soon, and that has got some people excited, but as for IS-2 or KV-1/2 kits, I would rather see Rubicon release something that no one else has done yet. The Italeri KV-1/2 model kit is not perfect, but its a pretty good kit nonetheless. Same goes for the Italeri IS-2 model kit, though, to be honest I have not assembled the IS-2 that I have, but the parts look good.

Instead of Rubicon duplicating what Italeri has already released, I would rather see Rubicon release something new like a SU-76. I think it would sell a lot better as well because no one makes a 1:56 scale plastic kit of the SU-76.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 03:04:32 am »
Yes , SU-76 , they were used right up to  May 45 in Berlin , and some used in Korea in the 50s   . Would also like to see a T-70 tank and some 76mm Artillery

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 05:54:38 pm »
I agree - an SU-76 would be very welcome.

But I'd rather see some Italian and early British vehicle - including armoured cars.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 08:57:46 pm »
I have had the KV and IS sitting on the shelf awaiting finishing for a while due to motivation failure. Both are clunky, and the fuel tanks on the IS are difficult to get cylindrical.

Some BT series tanks would be useful for the Soviets.

I agree - an SU-76 would be very welcome.

But I'd rather see some Italian and early British vehicle - including armoured cars.
I certainly would be interested in early British.