Author Topic: M3/M3A1 Half-Track Personnel Carrier - M21 MMC TS1 Plastic 170118  (Read 75889 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
The M3 Half-Track Personnel Carrier had been on our drawing board for as long as we could remember.  The project was put on-hold several times, giving way to other projects... until now!

Still on our drawing board, if we were to turn this into a kit, we want our M3 Half-Track to be flexible and easy to build!  The initial goal is...
- Multi-variant - choice to build the kit into M3 / M3A1 / M3A2
- Expandable - should be able to upgrade to become a Mortar carrier, or a GMC or HMC...
- 3 sprues maximum at competitive selling price!

At the present stage, there are just too many parts and components; probably need to reduce parts count to turn this into a selling product!

The basic M3 Half-Track Personnel Carrier:

The updated M3A1 version:

The M3A1 version with Canvas Top:

Any comments and suggestions on this M3 project is welcome!

;)

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:12:39 am by Rubicon Models »

sandsmodels

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: M3 Half-Track Personnel Carrier
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 09:50:17 pm »
yes looks very nice indeed with plenty of post-war conversion potential

Frank Frey

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 09:59:09 pm »
Well done...I especially like the fact that you can build it as the basic M3. Definitely be buying several of these.

Cat

• Private
    • View Profile
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 05:56:06 am »
If the GMC option is available, I'ld get 2!  Royal Canadian Dragoons used them right til the end of the war.

airborne

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 02:41:32 am »
It`s a great idea to have multi possibilities with this kit. and a nice approach I look forward to keeping watch on this model.
Cheers.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 03:39:38 pm »
More work is done on the M3 Halftrack... this time some digital sculpting on the tarpaulin - two versions of it!!

M3 version without the MG mount:

M3A1/M3A2 version with MG mount opened or covered:

A little more touch up will closed the 3D drawing phase and move to 3D prototyping!

;)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 09:41:52 pm »
Do you  have to add the canvas covers . I wanted to spend an afternoon messing about with tissue paper , white glue and water . Going old school !   ::)    What a great idea for different canvas tops , you guys are awesome

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 11:31:09 pm »
Do you  have to add the canvas covers . I wanted to spend an afternoon messing about with tissue paper , white glue and water . Going old school !   ::)    What a great idea for different canvas tops , you guys are awesome

We are not only gamers!  We are also old school modelers who knew the pain... da pain, da pain!

;)

robbie039

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 08:03:44 pm »
IF you could do it in such a way , that with a small conversion it could be turned into the version the IDF used after the war I would be thankfull

johan

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 02:46:01 pm »
Some firms like sandsmodels are already picking up on after market changes, so you can build some variations with a minor extra investment.
I"m sure Shaun can help you once the vehicle is out.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 11:16:58 pm »
This is only the beginning of the week and we are flooding the forum with our new 3D printed parts for the M3 Half-Track!

[/URL]

These are not the final parts on the plastic sprue, but 3D prototypes for us to toy around to come up with the final design... probably they will be on the sprue!  :D

Comments and advice please!
;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 11:44:52 pm »
Wow, that one-piece body is impressive!  As are the tracks.  Does this mean there will be space on the sprue to supply some nice internal detail?  Maybe have the seats, ammo boxes and other details as single-iece inserts.

Please also look at providing some nice machine guns.  A half-track will be used with figures, so it really ought to have chunkier weapons...   

airborne

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 01:36:12 am »
Very clean, and a great looking finish. Making the seats and rifle holders glue in place, then the changing of the 1/2 tracks type from infantry carrier to howitzer or anti aircraft are made much more easy Fantastic start.
Cheers

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 02:43:39 am »
That is mighty impressive!

Do you think there will be an M16 upgrade at some point?
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 08:30:06 am »
I like the idea of the one piece rear body with door opening . So many variants to kit bash .  :)