Author Topic: KV + IS series.  (Read 4706 times)

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
KV + IS series.
« on: November 27, 2019, 03:28:15 am »
Gotta say I'd love a plastic KV set and IS set.
With the KV having 2 kits for a KV-1 and KV-2 (parts to make both turrets)
And a KV-85, KV-1S.

And IS having IS-1 and IS-2 turrets.

Then Resin tops to make an SU-152 and ISU-152.

Yes warlord does one...but it's Shitaleri...so...yeah.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: KV + IS series.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 05:02:08 am »
Actually the Italeri KV is not that bad . The KV II is just  missing a pistol port on one side of the turret  , plus the locking bars on the turret hatch are on upside down  . The KV I has a few issues with the turret hatch having the machine gun race molded to it making it too large if glued open , closed its just fine .  The kit is also missing the tow cables and side hooks . Easy fix with a little kit bashing and Gasoline 1/48 scale resin cable ends .  I fact I've built 2 and while not a straight out of the box build , a fun kit . The IS II is also a pretty good kit with lots of potential for a modeler to add  cast  detail on the hull nose , turret sides and really go to town on the turret rear machine gun mount . The  only let down to that kit IMO is the AA machine gun  commander's cupola mount  , not anything like the real thing . Your opinion may vary
Would a new version of each kit plus various SPGs be welcome , hell yeh

A parades worth of IS IIs , note the variety of casting marks ( numbers / letters ) or lack of same on the different turrets . Also note the variations in the shape of the turret rear mg mount . Lots of fun there for those of us who like our liquid green stuff .

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 08:56:07 pm by ripley »

thunderplunk

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 06:10:25 pm »
I'd also like to see an IS-2 kit, if only for the possibility of getting an ISU-152 in plastic at some point. We got the SU-85/SU-122 box, so I can dream!  ;D

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 11:13:18 am »
To date, I have assembled four of the Italeri/Warlord plastic KV-1/KV-2 kits. One for myself and three for friends. I say without a doubt that if care is taken to assemble, the model makes a very good wargaming miniature. A bit more modeling skill is needed because the tracks come in four pieces. I have seen others assemble the track sets, and they must have rushed it because you can see gaps and flaws. However, if done correctly and with a bit more effort, you can assemble the track sets so they look great, but care, test fitting, and patience is needed. I also recommend cutting off those inside alignment track tabs, because if you do not, you will get a gaps.

While not perfect, the Italeri KV-1/KV-2 plastic kit is more than good enough for our hobby needs, and more importantly, its currently available. Could Rubicon Models make a better KV-1/KV-2 kit? Probably, but why? There are so many other projects they can start (like the M3 Lee/Grant, Panzer II, T-70 + SU-76) or finish (like the SdKfz 10, early Panzer III) to benefit the hobby.

Italeri also released the IS-2, and while I have no need for one, I have assembled one for a friend. With care in assembling, the model turns into a very good miniature for wargaming. Could Rubicon Models make a better IS-2 kit? Probably, but again, why? There are so many other projects they can start or finish to benefit the hobby.

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 01:05:39 am »
Yeah they are not that bad. But personally I'm not a fan and avoid them. Just picked up 3 of the IS-2 kits in the sale at £13 each can't grumble at that. I've made 1 so far and it did remind me why I prefer a Rubicon kit.

I find that the Italeri kits you have to make them exactly as they want you to make the kit. Take the Panther Italeri kit; you can't choose to have the shurzen not on at all or parts missing as the shurzen is designed to glue into these odd holes on the side of the hull... :-\ Additionally the IS-2 Hull front top came away during painting as there just inst enough surface...or ancor point s for the glue to contact.

But I agree, I'd rather Rubicon filled the gaps in the market than copy every one else.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 04:26:38 am »
True Italeri kits take a little more work , but with a little  kit bash experience you can build the kit however you want

I build this a couple of years ago ( 3 ? ) when it first came out , missing side skirts , open rear turret hatch and extra track on the turret , taken from the upper track run behind the skirts , this was before we got the Rubicon stowage set with the awesome Panther track .
You don't know what you can do until you try

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 05:31:45 am »
Yeah true. I do have a rubicon panther kit in my box of things to build. Might do a comparison against the italeri one. At some point i may well try and kit bash a panther recovery vehicle ( dyslexia prohibts me from the actual spelling of it) which in turn will give me a turret to make a pantherturm.

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 04:25:07 am »
I just don't like the idea of paying  £20 for a tank that's "ok" or "it'll do the job".
Rubicon could even add a German cupola and hatch onto the sprues.
Maybe even pieces for the re-armed 75mm version.

As much as I look forward to the King, Comet and Pershing...I think mainline tanks should get ALLOT more focus

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 06:35:11 am »
I feel your pain  James . But you have to remember we are a very niche market with only 2 companies producing plastic 1/56 kits ( Rubicon  & Warlord / Italeri ) . If you want a perfect  kit you either wait maybe years for it , or build what's out there using all the hobby skill you can muster .

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 07:33:43 am »
That's 0 hobby skill then

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 01:46:44 am »
IMO , today in 1/56 plastic is like the early 70s in 1/35 . A few companies  making a lot of the same kits ( Tiger , Sherman , T-34 ) , and the odd one off . Back then , if  you wanted a Marder III you got the only kit out there, which was  Italeri , and you made the best of it , warts and all . Some  , who had the research material  ( Bellona Prints . Squadron / signal ), the resin detail parts ( Verlinden ) and the modelling skill turned it into a awesome looking model . Others . like myself , built it out of the box , not knowing / caring about the defects , or having the skill to fix them . Today the only plastic 1/56 Marder III is again Italeri . and it does have a few things that could be improved , again those that care and have  the skill will rework it . Some won't care and build out of the box .  And while I am a Marder , in all it variations , fan , I'm going to build just one for now . Hopefully sometime in the next year or so we get a better or different  version .  Lets just be happy with whats available  now , we had nothing 4 years ago