Author Topic: paint colours  (Read 3375 times)

Tony1955

• Cadet
    • View Profile
paint colours
« on: May 30, 2019, 10:41:23 pm »
Hi,
Are Marine Shermans in the Pacific a different colour green to those uses in the ETO?

Thanks

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: paint colours
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 11:49:08 pm »
Great question. The answer is not without controversy however.  There are two camps:

#1 - Marine tanks were (in general) painted Marine Green. Photos from different battles indicate that sometimes the tanks were still in factory Olive Drab. And at other times, they appear to be a different shade (greener). So it could come down to the specific battle.

#2 - Marine tanks left the factory in the standard Olive Drab that they all received, and they were not repainted. Why repaint a perfectly good paint job? Now, after combat and damage and all that, and depending on the specific battle, new paint may have been applied. There were certain camo schemes that included a darker green which was applied over an Olive Drab base.

If you go looking for paint sets for WWII Marine Tank models, you will find various sets which include a "Marine Green".  Are those sets based on old footage where the colors on the film have degraded to the point people think the tanks were repainted something else?  Possibly.

I am of the opinion that Marine tanks in the PTO could be painted the same Olive Drab as Army tanks in the ETO, and you will NOT have made a poor choice. I am not an expect in Marine paint schemes, but having read numerous threads about this, I have not been swayed to the point of view that Marine tanks were painted something different "as a general rule".  Camo schemes are different. But just whole-tank paint jobs, I think those were Olive Drab.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 04:08:26 am by EarlyWarGamer »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 03:46:41 am »
Also , IRC about 4 companys made OD paint for US military vehicles in WW2 . Depending on their "recipe " and availebility of the ingredients , it could end up with a green or blackish tinge . Not to mention how it looked wet or covered in dust . Find a OD color that you like and use it . Even the Experts argue over whose line of model paints match it exactly

Jaeger

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 09:32:39 am »
It's not like color film at that time was consistent across the globe in all types of environments. 

Tony1955

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 04:36:15 pm »
Thanks Chaps,
so to paraphrase Henry Ford "any colour as long as its an OD of some description"

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 10:52:26 pm »
Thanks Chaps,
so to paraphrase Henry Ford "any colour as long as its an OD of some description"
Or Marine Green ^__^.

Over on Lead Adventures, we are enjoying the new problem of colourised black and white photographs and how they can mislead you on colour choices.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 10:01:23 am »
There is a very good book I would like to highly recommend. If not for the overall modeling information, but for the very useful and informative side bar explaining in detail the color of US vehicles in WW2 that takes up several pages!

Modeling US Armor of World War 2
by
Steven J. Zaloga
Osprey Publications