Rubicon Models > General Discussions

Zimmerit or not Zimmerit?

<< < (2/3) > >>

ripley:
Another vote for no Zim . As others have said it easier to add than remove .  Maybe release Zim as a resin or photo etch  add on kit , but that might get complicated as some vehicles ( Panther , Stug III ) had various patterns depending on company of manufacture . Some even had one pattern on hull and  another on turret  ::)  Only  about half of the Tiger IIs had Zim . The 50 Porche turreted version ( 47 , first 3 prototypes -no { Bovington Tiger II } ) and about 200 of the Henschel turreted version

ultravanillasmurf:
And another vote for no Zim.

I do agree with Ballardian, both about the difficulty in producing zimmerit on models (just look at some of the "professional" efforts), and that transfers might be a good solution.

EarlyWarGamer:
No Zim.

Cat:
Not molded on, but the photo-etch idea sounds very promising!

Ballardian:
 As far as the multiple patterns goes, if you were to go down the transfer/resin/PE route I don't think it'd be necessary to instantly replicate all the variations - you could get away with one type for each vehicle you wish to apply it to (at least initially, if the interest was there) - so you'd have one type for PzIII's, one for IV's etc as you'd have to produce sets for each vehicle individually anyway.
 Here's a (reasonably comprehensive) list of vehicles by pattern & as you can see, there's a lot of cross-overs:

Vertical columns of horizontal ridges
 Pz III
 PzIV H & J
 Pz.Bef.Wg IV
 StuG III
 StuG IV
 Jagdpanzer IV (all three variants)
 Sturmpanzer IV
 Flakpanzer IV (both Wirblewind & Ostwind)
 Panther Ausf A & G
 Tiger I & II
 Jagdtiger

Horizontal columns of vertical ridges
 StuG III Ausf G
 Pz IV Ausf H
 Panther Ausf G

Horizontal columns of vertical ridges with one-way diagonal grooves
 Panther Ausf G

Horizontal columns of vertical ridges with vertical grooves separating the coulmns int small boxes
 StuG III
 StuG IV
 Panther Ausf A & G

Small squares
 StuG III
 StuG IV
 Jagdpanther

'Waffle' pattern (square)
 StuG III Ausf G
 Sturmhaubitze
 Panther Ausf A
 Tiger I Ausf E

horizontal columns of diagonal ridges with the diagonals changing direction for each column
 Pz IV Ausf H & J

Horizontal columns of vertical ridges with diagonal grooves forming rhombuses
 Panther Ausf A (G?)

Vertical columns of horizontal ridges, separating the columns into small boxes
 StuG III & IV
 Panther  Ausf G

'Waffle' with rhombuses
 StuG III & IV

Continuous vertical ridges
 Panther Ausf A
 (apparently a number of SdKfz 251 Ausf D's also received this pattern, though I've never seen an example)

As you can see, there is quite a lot of cross-over, but the first pattern covers nearly everything so if you were going to to Zim, doing that one would give you the greatest coverage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version