Author Topic: Tracks' M4 Medium tank thread  (Read 48517 times)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Tracks' M4 Medium tank thread
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2018, 01:46:41 am »
I had a couple of those , probaly set me back a couple of weeks pocket money , all of about $1 lol

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2018, 06:23:57 am »
I had a number of the bagged aircraft kits, but do not remember having any tanks.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2018, 10:54:26 pm »
When it comes to model tanks, I think the M4 Sherman tank is one of the most common model kits around. It seems like every major model company offers a Sherman tank in one or more scales. And now we have almost a complete line from Rubicon Models!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2018, 09:53:17 am »
The Airfix Sherman was one of the first tank kits I bought.  Along with their StuG and SdKfz 234.  My friend and I would ride quite a long way to the toy shop that sold them.  My friend and I didn't paint them - we only painted the wheels and machine guns black.  Even then, I wondered if there was a better way of doing the tracks than the soft rubber band tracks (which didn't always fit properly and rotted if they got dusty). 

Who remembers the excitement when the Matchbox armour kits appeared? 

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2018, 08:34:00 pm »

- The Matchbox kits were the second stage of the addiction for me (prior to finding out about assorted hard to get vehicles by equally hard to get manufacturers from far off places, Japan, Italy etc).
 Still have fond memories of many of the kits - their Comet, Firefly & Wespe especially.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2018, 08:38:52 pm »
The Matchbox tanks were great  The  pre colored plastic was awesome so you didn't have to paint . IRC one came  in white , blue and orange ?  :o

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2018, 09:40:57 pm »
I loved the Matchbox Wespe.  And their Humber. 

The Fujimi kits were a revelation too - like their SdKfz 222.  Their figures were horrible though.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2018, 08:35:14 pm »

What made the early Matchbox kits stand out was that the kits came with plastic sprues in two different colors.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2018, 09:15:44 pm »
Memories. The sweet shop at the other end of town to the model shop stocked them.

The Comet kit. I suspect the crater lasted longer than the tank. It did some duties for 15mm Laserburn back in the mid 'eighties.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 04:35:20 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2018, 10:11:57 pm »
Your right , the bases lasted much longer than the tanks did .  Some of the bases were very neat with palm trees or rubble piles , I would love to find a few today to really add some extra detail to . Anyone remember the vacu- form style bases Aurora had in there "1/48 " box scale  ::) mid 60s tank kits ? Those were sometimes the best part of the kit . Teally liked thar damaged bridge one that  came with the Centurian

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2018, 04:28:02 am »
Getting back to the Sherman Dozer issue. I was thinking, why not just use a part from another kit. You know, one of those model kits of a heavy construction vehicle. What heavy construction vehicle kit would offer the best part to convert a Rubicon Sherman into a Sherman Dozer?

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2018, 09:46:06 am »
Well , you could add the blade from the Komatsu , but its probably too narrow , the support arms are too short and the lift gear is wrong . Not an easy kit bash I'm afraid .

You could go all out and scratch the blade and assembly  out of plastic sheet and shapes , but it would be a lot of work . Always liked the look of this one , maybe someday , but I would get the Company B kit to use as a starting point to build on to

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2018, 10:01:38 am »
Here's some pictures of various dozer parts

All info from TheShermanTank.com site ( article # 37 )
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:04:45 am by ripley »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2018, 12:31:29 am »
I checked on the Hobbysearch site ( they show the  plans, paint schemes and sprues  of most model kits ) , the Komatsu is 75mm long, it's blade about 35 ( guesstimation  ::) ) . The Sherman blade is 65mm wide .  Really can't see a viable way to kit bash the Komatsu , arms and hydralics would have to be scratched as well . Not to mention your chopping up a $30 ( in Canada ) kit . With the Company B kit costing less than half , you  could probably get 2 shipped for about that price . Not wanting to hinder anyone in a building project , but its IMO way too much work for something thats already available .  Mind you the Company B kit will tax your skills with super glue and white metal , plus there's the additional things you might want to add ( control hydralic hose , guatd , etc ) If you do decide to bash the Komatsu , your a better man than I am .... ;D

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2018, 04:42:08 pm »
I have been tempted when I have seen it on the Great Escape Games stand at various shows.

So far I have forgotten to go back and buy it.

For reference: http://www.greatescapegames.co.uk/tanks-1/tanks-us/coyb-dozer.html

Of course this would be a perfect small add on kit for Rubicon.