Author Topic: Tracks' M4 Medium tank thread  (Read 48289 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Tracks' M4 Medium tank thread
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2018, 01:59:16 am »
Tired of waiting for the Rubicon Models' M4A1 model kit? You can do what H0ffmn did. That is, take one of the other Sherman kits that Rubicon Models offers and convert it into your own M4A1. H0ffmn did such a great job that its worth noting here in my M4 Medium tank thread. Learn more about how you can do this here:

http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=759.0

Warning, some basic modelling skills are required.

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2018, 09:26:13 am »
Thank you for your kind words, Tracks.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2019, 04:37:24 pm »
Earlier in this thread I talked about scratch building a Sherman Dozer.
Well, this makes things so much easier!

Here is the full link:
http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=816.msg11171#msg11171

SheriffSherman

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2020, 02:07:32 pm »
I know the M4A3 and M4A1 76mm come with the late FDA cover (sharp nose) but I’m not certain it’s included in the M4 or M4 hybrid kits.  I’m hoping that I’m mistaken because the hybrid was a late production vehicle and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen photos of them with the round cast FDA cover.  Also the late hull in the M4 kit would require a late cover as well. 

I’m fairly new here, perhaps Rubicon has addressed this?   Will a resin FDA become available to purchase seperately?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2020, 03:16:33 am »
I think Rubicon did a mix and match list (what you need to build stuff including stuff not out of one box).

SheriffSherman

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2020, 10:33:47 am »
Yes, I studied their breakdown but it makes no sense to take a sharp nose FDA from any of the kits that have them otherwise those kits become unusable.  Basically, there is a shortage of sharp nose FDA, the only kit that could be a donor is the M4A2 76mm if you build it as a 75mm tank with the early hull and then take the late FDA for another kits.

EDIT:  but if you build the M4A2 76mm as a 75mm, then you’ll still need to get a low bustle turret from another kit.  It’s just too much trouble when all you need is a resin replacement for the missing FDA covers.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 11:04:29 am by SheriffSherman »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2020, 08:44:12 am »

Quote from: SheriffSherman
I know the M4A3 and M4A1 76mm come with the late FDA cover (sharp nose) but I’m not certain it’s included in the M4 or M4 hybrid kits.  I’m hoping that I’m mistaken because the hybrid was a late production vehicle and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen photos of them with the round cast FDA cover.  Also the late hull in the M4 kit would require a late cover as well.

Considering the scope of the subject, I think Rubicon Models did a great job, but yes, not every little aspect and detail is covered in any one kit. Sometimes you have to mix and match, and in rare cases you might have to improvise.

I’m fairly new here, perhaps Rubicon has addressed this?   Will a resin FDA become available to purchase seperately?

Maybe, but considering all the projects on their workbench, it wouldn't be anytime soon.

Basically, there is a shortage of sharp nose FDA, the only kit that could be a donor is the M4A2 76mm if you build it as a 75mm tank with the early hull and then take the late FDA for another kits.

Not a perfect solution, but one of the things people can do is take the part from the M4A3 kit and make a resin copy.

Yes, a lot of modellers that are gamers will tell you that this is easy to do, and I have done this with other plastic and metal parts. I wouldn't call the process easy though, but for sure very doable.