Rubicon Models > Showcase & Gallery

Steel wheel Panther F conversion WIP

(1/2) > >>

Ballardian:
The Company B E-50 I'm expecting soon comes with a spare schmalturm, so I thought I'd have another bash at a Panther F, this time giving it the steel wheels the first one lacked. Thanks to being able to acquire the tracks/wheels from the Rubicon Tiger (many thanks Captain Blood) & with a Panther G in hand I thought I'd have a stab at swapping the wheels.
 The first issue is that Panther & tiger roadwheels were different sizes (the Panther's were slightly bigger), which required that the newly liberated tiger wheels needed to have a band of (in this case very thin plasticard)added to increase their diameter/circumference. I then had to extend the axles of the innermost set of wheels in order to securely fit the outermost.
 The Panther wheels that were attached to the tracks had to be removed & replaced with the Tiger ones  - & thats about it for the tracks (aside from a bit of tidying).
 It'll probably get additional armour plates on the rear deck/intakes & turret roof & some Thoma skirts (I've found some fine woven steel mesh which'll look the part) Hopefully this project can be fitted around the others currently on the go - will post pics as it comes along.

ultravanillasmurf:
Looks very good.

I will be interested to see how it turns out.

Ballardian:
I managed to forget to put blank discs at the centre of the outermost roadwheels, but that's fixable :P If I were to really go for authenticity I'd have to fill the guide teeth - they found that steel wheels tended to break the hollow ones of the standard track.

Swamprat33:
Hiya, this looks rather interesting.
Dont forget that the crew hatches were also different between the ausf.G and ausf.F Panthers.
Cheers
Tim

Ballardian:
Hi Swamprat33, which hatches did you mean - the forward crew hatches (driver/bow gunner) are usually represented as the same as the Ausf G, sometimes with more elongated hatches, though in the same position, & occasionaly as angled like those on the Ausf D (& the Panther II for Panzertracts & the Doyle book).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version