Author Topic: early StuG  (Read 8977 times)

aphillathehun

• Cadet
    • View Profile
early StuG
« on: April 04, 2017, 10:17:25 pm »

Apologies if this has been suggested before.  I don't really frequent this forum - I just check in periodically - so please forgive any interruption.

Any plans for doing early versions of the StuG?

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: early StuG
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 07:42:08 am »
Nice idea, although it will need to be a very early version if you intend to invade France in 1940.

Among German vehicles I would prefer to see Pz I, Pz !!, Pz38(t) & very early Pz III & IV come first.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 02:55:20 pm »
My thought is that Stug III would be part of a Panzer III design project similar to the Panzer IV.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 08:43:47 pm »
While an early Stug III would be fantastic , Rubicon's probably going to have to pick only  one version , as the A- F , F8 had lots of little cosmetic body / hull changes that would be a PITA to try and produce in a 2/3 sprue multi version  kit . Maybe design a generic wargame  short 75 Stug , not a right down to the last detail model kit Stug ( I can't believe I'm saying that  :-[ ). While I love as much detail as possible in larger scales , I feel  if we nit pick too much  in 28mm , we may never get any of the small production run armored   vehicles we want .

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 09:46:19 pm »
You make a valid case ripley however Rubicon are building an enviable reputation for producing first rate kits that are attempting to differentiate between variants (Sherman/Panzer IV). Surely that reputation would be damaged by going down the generic route. Perhaps a competitor will attempt to do that but I would be disappointed if Rubicon were to go that way.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 10:54:46 pm »
As with the early Panzer IV, one early StuG variant would probably do.  Most wargamers would happily recreate the Blitzkrieg period with (say) an Ausf D.  And the kit could include parts for an Ausf F, so it's got broader appeal.  Then Rubicon could concentrate on getting the details right - and maybe include nice features like Ostketten for the Ausf F.

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 07:46:46 am »
My Chamberlain and Doyle suggests 320 Ausf B produced from June 1940 compared with 150 Ausf D. So perhaps the B would be a good starting point. However I'm not sure even these were early enough to take part in the invasion of France. However the main change from the A appears related to the transmission and ignition system so not a problem for Rubicon. Some B's apparently had different drive and idler wheels but not all (the proportion of each unknown to me).

So my suggestion would be an A/B (externally the same) so that vehicles invading France in May 1940 are covered.

Patrick R

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 05:33:35 pm »
IIRC there were four batteries of six STUG each present in France, A models mostly.

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 06:45:40 pm »
Thanks Patrick. Apparently they were Sturmartillerie Batteries 640, 659, 660 and 665. As the Ausf B only left the factory in the closing stages of the campaign in France it is possible they didn't reach the front line before the armistice (perhaps there is evidence to the contrary). In any event if I'm not misinterpreting my information A & B can be represented by the same kit.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 07:28:19 pm »
Thanks for the discussion on the early StuG. We have several volume of reference material on the subject. However, without starting the Panzer III digital library project, doing any StuG is empty talk.

Our priority now is to get the Panzer IV project completed before our "imaginary" deadline, then wrapping up some open-ended projects before we look into starting the Panzer III one!  The Panzer III project is more complicated than her Panzer IV counterpart, and will need more time to sort out the drawings before actual 3D drafting can started.  Therefore we definitely don't foresee any StuG coming this year!

The early StuG can be classified into 3 main groups - Ausf A&B / C&D / E.  The differences are so minor, fitting the early StuG into a single box should be an easy task (except for unaccountable surprises).

;)

aphillathehun

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 04:27:29 am »
Thanks for the discussion on the early StuG. We have several volume of reference material on the subject. However, without starting the Panzer III digital library project, doing any StuG is empty talk.

Our priority now is to get the Panzer IV project completed before our "imaginary" deadline, then wrapping up some open-ended projects before we look into starting the Panzer III one!  The Panzer III project is more complicated than her Panzer IV counterpart, and will need more time to sort out the drawings before actual 3D drafting can started.  Therefore we definitely don't foresee any StuG coming this year!

The early StuG can be classified into 3 main groups - Ausf A&B / C&D / E.  The differences are so minor, fitting the early StuG into a single box should be an easy task (except for unaccountable surprises).

;)

This all sounds wise.  Will look forward to it when the time is right.

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 08:15:01 am »
I think this topic was well worthwhile. Aphillathehun had the question answered and we had fun with it. 

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 06:22:18 am »
Warlord are releasing an early StuG as part of their sea lion releases.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 04:54:39 pm »

Will it be plastic or resin?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 06:46:19 pm »

Will it be plastic or resin?

I am surprised that Warlord have not trailer any Sea Lion plastics (BEF infantry being the obvious first choice).